1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured New Atheists?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Policy, Jan 12, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +13,049
    Religion:
    none
    QED

2. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +890
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    I thought New Atheists primarily use lines of argumentation from recent works by Hitchens and Dawkins, etc.

For example, I've seen atheists move from the indefensible "good and evil are unreal abstractions" to the annoying "we're more good than the religious people". :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. cOLTER

cOLTER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +766
    Religion:
    Disciple
    At the end of the day nonconformists are all alike. Nonconformist activists are religious about their nonconformity.

4. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Putin' on the Blitz!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,913
    Religion:
    None - agnostic with strong atheist tendencies.
    I'm sure there are, and forums where people endlessly debate/discuss the intricacies of their religious beliefs without ever encountering anything approaching a different view to make them think otherwise, but we are lucky in having a forum that is much more tolerant, and hence we can be what we are. Possibly the atheist fun/ridicule makes up for the religious distaste or worse towards them. :oops:

5. cOLTER

cOLTER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +766
    Religion:
    Disciple
    "Endlessly debating" religion IS the encountering of different views about theistic religion.

The topic is Atheist promoting atheism with a kind of religious zeal.

6. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Putin' on the Blitz!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,913
    Religion:
    None - agnostic with strong atheist tendencies.
    Anything wrong with this last then, or do religions get special treatment?

7. Policy

Policy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,370
    Religion:
    none
    Good and evil are abstractions. I don't know what the 'unreal' is supposed to be. We are certainly no gooder or eviler than religious people. We are general better than the depicted gods of religious people. But then so are the religious people.

8. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +13,866
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    What soft science and what hard science? There is only one kind of science. Is it a joke? If it is a joke, I don't get it. I do not consider myself any special by any measure. I am one of the 8 billion humans and trillions upon trillions of life forms, and octillions of octillions of living and non-living entities. This is what my belief (Advaita Hinduism) teaches me. We do not differentiate between any two things. All that exists in the universe is one entity (physical energy aka Brahman).

9. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +3,653
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    In my culture there are 7 kinds of science. Now google hard science vs soft science.

10. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,800
    Religion:
    None
    Dunno about more good but atheists are
    underrepresented in prisons.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,968
    Religion:
    None.
    Yes, I was. Seems like a lifetime ago.

12. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +13,866
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Science is not omnipotent and science is not infallible, but science is the best information available today. Religion is unverified personal belief. My belief (Advaita Hinduism) and science are the same. I am not concerned with what other people believe. I know most Indian scientists are thoroughly theistic. It is the effect of culture. That is their choice and not mine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +3,653
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    I have just had an exchange with an atheist, who treat it like a fact, that religion is a crutch.

14. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,318
    Religion:
    None
    Or he reads them, but doesn't share you're interpretation of them. Not admitting one is in error is not the same as being unable to accept one might be in error, just as not giving ground to "flawed and irrational" arguments is not indicative that one is being dogmatic, or incapable of admitting one can be wrong.

Personally I have only ever seen religious apologists and theists claim to have access to immutable truth. Atheism of course is simply the lack or absence of belief in any deity or deities, so since it makes no claims, and has no doctrine or dogma, it is neither right nor wrong, it is simply the default position, I was born an atheist, and have been taught about religions, but not found their claims at all compelling. Atheists can of course be wrong, but it's a misnomer to assert atheism can be wrong.

When atheists become vocal in their criticisms of religious ideas and the worst behaviour of their adherents, theists tend to attack those atheists, or label atheism as extremism, just as we see here with prominent new atheists.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +3,653
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Yeah, the old dance of correlation versus causation.

16. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +3,653
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Yes, it is a fact the the everyday world is physical and not else, right? Lets start there.

17. Policy

Policy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,370
    Religion:
    none
    I know. But the tiny numbers don't make me statistically comfortable with claiming a correlation.

18. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,318
    Religion:
    None
    Well to be fair since you have claimed it is ubiquitous here, maybe 6 examples of such posts might convince me, that I've somehow inexplicably missed this all pervasive trend among atheists?

I might be less sceptical of the claim of course, had I myself not been falsely labelled as promoting scientism, more than once. Just as when theists tried to tell me my atheism is a belief no deity exists. Acknowledging science is bar far and away the most successful method(s) we have for understanding reality, is not scientism, and disbelieving in any deity or deities is not a belief.

19. Evangelicalhumanist

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,968
    Religion:
    None.
    Very few people who actually study science (or know at least something about it) make any such claims at all. We know the limitations. We know that reason, and sometimes just compassion, have to provide a lot of answers that science cannot speak to.

What we do NOT fall back on is magical thinking -- praying for miracles where none are to be had.

And "the journey of discovers" makes no discovery at all when it proclaims "God did it." That's a total dead end.

20. Evangelicalhumanist

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,968
    Religion:
    None.
    I wonder why people who say over and over again that, "There are dozens of examples," never actually provide any.

• Like Like x 1