• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New and Hoping to Learn

Podo

Hello.

I'm a Canadian in my mid-twenties, and I'm here because, quite frankly, I want something more. I'm a scientist, I do science for a living, and so I'm thoroughly steeped in materialism. But as the years go by, I can't shake the feeling that there should be more to everything than there currently is.

My issue is with actual belief. I love religion, I've been studying it for years. I've read every holy text I can get my hands on. My issue is that final leap of "yes, this is true, I will adhere to it" that really makes me falter. My partner is a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan, which is what jogged me into thinking about my own beliefs (or lack thereof) in a more concrete sense.

As such, I have created an account on these boards in the hopes of talking to followers of a variety of traditions, in the hopes that someone will point something out that I've missed, or that simply via my conversations here I will discover a new philosophy or path of my own.

I look forward to many lively discussions.

Amani_Bhava

Hello.

I'm a Canadian in my mid-twenties, and I'm here because, quite frankly, I want something more. I'm a scientist, I do science for a living, and so I'm thoroughly steeped in materialism. But as the years go by, I can't shake the feeling that there should be more to everything than there currently is.

My issue is with actual belief. I love religion, I've been studying it for years. I've read every holy text I can get my hands on. My issue is that final leap of "yes, this is true, I will adhere to it" that really makes me falter. My partner is a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan, which is what jogged me into thinking about my own beliefs (or lack thereof) in a more concrete sense.

As such, I have created an account on these boards in the hopes of talking to followers of a variety of traditions, in the hopes that someone will point something out that I've missed, or that simply via my conversations here I will discover a new philosophy or path of my own.

Welcome.

Since you are a rational person Theravada Buddhism will be what appeals to you. It is the most clinical among all religions (and also the most believable)

You can read this pdf as a short primer to Theravada, Bhikkhu Bodhi's Noble Eight Fold Path http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/noble8path6.pdf

You can also listen to a lecture version BuddhaNet Audio: The Buddha's Teaching As It Is", by Bhikkhu Bodhi

There is enormous amount of free (and legal) resources on internet about Theravada. Good thing about it is .. you do not need to visit a place of worship or temple nor pray to a God or prophet.

It is about understanding ones own self.

namaste

A_B

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Welcome. There's plenty of philosophies among us here, both religious and irreligious. I hope you find what you're looking for among them.

What kind of scientist are you?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello.

Welcome to RF!

Couple of initial thoughts, one serious, one less so.

1) Have you considered religion, but also remaining an atheist? There are non-theistic religions out there. Perhaps that would give something of what you seek whilst remaining intellectually consistent?

2) I'm an atheist, but basically follow the Boston Celtics religiously. This comes complete with storied history, venerated Saints, and the ability to look to the heavens and know everything will be ok (after all, 18 championship banners are hanging from the ceiling).

I'll leave it to you to work out which of my 2 points is the serious one.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Hi Podo! Welcome to the Forum.

I don't usually make recommendations of this sort, but check out the Mysticism DIR if and when you have an inclination. You might find some of the threads there interesting.

Podo

Welcome.

Since you are a rational person Theravada Buddhism will be what appeals to you. It is the most clinical among all religions (and also the most believable)

You can read this pdf as a short primer to Theravada, Bhikkhu Bodhi's Noble Eight Fold Path http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/noble8path6.pdf

You can also listen to a lecture version BuddhaNet Audio: The Buddha's Teaching As It Is", by Bhikkhu Bodhi

There is enormous amount of free (and legal) resources on internet about Theravada. Good thing about it is .. you do not need to visit a place of worship or temple nor pray to a God or prophet.

It is about understanding ones own self.

namaste

A_B

This is all very appreciated, thank you very much! I have read much about Buddhism, and I will admit that it does indeed appeal to me. I have never read much about Theraveda specifically, however, so I will read and listen to your links. Much appreciated!

Welcome. There's plenty of philosophies among us here, both religious and irreligious. I hope you find what you're looking for among them.

What kind of scientist are you?

I work in the health and technology sector. I program various gene-sequencing technologies such as Clarity and CRISPR, working on labs using LIS and LIMS environments.

Welcome to RF!

Couple of initial thoughts, one serious, one less so.

1) Have you considered religion, but also remaining an atheist? There are non-theistic religions out there. Perhaps that would give something of what you seek whilst remaining intellectually consistent?

2) I'm an atheist, but basically follow the Boston Celtics religiously. This comes complete with storied history, venerated Saints, and the ability to look to the heavens and know everything will be ok (after all, 18 championship banners are hanging from the ceiling).

I'll leave it to you to work out which of my 2 points is the serious one.

I have considered a variety of Buddhism, yes. I have also read in a few places that certain types of paganism and even some sects of Hinduism are atheistic paths, so I'm hoping to find out more about such things while I'm here :)

Hi Podo! Welcome to the Forum.

I don't usually make recommendations of this sort, but check out the Mysticism DIR if and when you have an inclination. You might find some of the threads there interesting.

I will take a look, thank you very much.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hello.

Welcome...always nice to have a new member......
happy0144.gif

Science can be a bit devoid of that certain 'something' that makes life meaningful.
You'll know it when you hear it.
happy0062.gif

What is a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan...exactly? Sounds complicated.....
confused0083.gif

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder

I definitely know the feeling and experience you describe here. I, myself have gone through various stages of both anti-religion and hypo-religion (by contrary), to know the effect that both extremes have on ones sense of self and where one places themselves in the world.

Religion (and non-religion), belief-systems and reality tunnels all effect people one way or another. I believe that trying to experience and push a religion or religious belief to the limit, is the only way one can be sure and certain of their spiritual choices.

I'm quite fond of Paganism myself and have seen numerous Pagans around this forum in my time here. I hope you have a great time here! Make sure you start a thread over there?

Cheers!
RPSTOVAL
93!

Jumi

Welcome! My advice is to build from your own base. If you feel something inspires you to spirituality you can start from there. Don't expect any religion to give you the feeling that "oh, everything's right with this one", cherrypicking for good moral advice or life lessons is not too bad. As to spiritual things I didn't find God in any religion myself, but still found it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello.

Canadian here too. Quite the dilemma. I'm a Hindu and had a young man, originally from Sri Lanka renting a room in my basement for awhile. He faced a similar dilemma, and he and I often discussed it. He'd go to our local temple with me, and for whatever reason he couldn't feel the presence of God. He watched other people in their devotionals. He'd see women crying (tears of devotion) in front of altars, hear people put intensity into their singing, etc. but often he's just end up going to help in the community kitchen, or go play with the kids. He believed me when I said I felt it, but it puzzled him greatly when he couldn't. We more or less concluded that it had to be based on personal experience, but never got much further. He really wished, as you've said, that he could make that final leap, of 'Yes, it's true, I do feel it." But there was no way to give him that experience that would put him over.

Interesting topic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hello.

Greetings!

First, don't let staff trick you into paying the 10% surcharge fee for being from Canuckistan.
Second, join us in the RF cafeteria for some complimentary morning grub....
Poutinefest-Montreal-3.jpg

Alas, you just missed haggis Thursday, & will have to settle for poutine Friday.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome @Podo !

I'm mostly atheist/agnostic with occasional forays into pantheism, although a mild version of such.

Have you read Lucretius? he gives a very comforting view of atheism, specifically Epicurianism.

Podo

Welcome...always nice to have a new member......
happy0144.gif

Science can be a bit devoid of that certain 'something' that makes life meaningful.
You'll know it when you hear it.
happy0062.gif

What is a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan...exactly? Sounds complicated.....
confused0083.gif

Celtic Reconstructionism is really what it says on the tin; it is an attempt, via multidisciplinary sources, to reconstruct and adhere to the classical Celtic religion. It is distinct from Paganism because the reconstructionists don't use anything that isn't supported in the bulk of academic and proven lore, be it archaeological, linguistic, literary, and so on. It's not to say that they don't have UPG (universal personal gnosis), but that nothing is considered canon unless it is attested in a concrete, scientific sense. It is similar to Heathen Reconstructionism in method (but not in actual belief).

Greetings!

First, don't let staff trick you into paying the 10% surcharge fee for being from Canuckistan.
Second, join us in the RF cafeteria for some complimentary morning grub....
Poutinefest-Montreal-3.jpg

Alas, you just missed haggis Thursday, & will have to settle for poutine Friday.

I actually had Haggis for dinner on Thursday, but I'll definitely participate in Poutine Friday!

Welcome @Podo !

I'm mostly atheist/agnostic with occasional forays into pantheism, although a mild version of such.

Have you read Lucretius? he gives a very comforting view of atheism, specifically Epicurianism.

I have not, but I'll add it to my list! Thanks :)