• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New American Judaism

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Join ToI Community as Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove calls for a new American Judaism

Any thoughts on R. Cosgrove’s ideas ?

He’s a bit too conservo for my taste, agreed ?

Also, thoughts on Jarod Kushner comments ?

Jared Kushner says African-Americans must ‘want to be successful’

A shanda?

Big R ? RR ?
Well, although I consider myself non-denominational, I probably mesh best with the conseratives, so that part doesn't bother me.

The problem is that your website is only an invitation to come here him talk about it. the site itself doesn't give any of his points. What am I supposed to comment on? The bells and whistles of the invitation?

I'm leaving the African American thing alone. It's too complicated an issue. They are sooooo discriminated against and its IS a genuine problem, and they have a right to complain. On the other hand, when we are put down, whether its because of our sex, or our religion, or our ethnicity, the solution is to try 10 times as hard so that we can succeed and give them the finger. There is such a thing as a victim mentality and it's not healthy. So you see, the answer is not easy, not black and white (no pun intended).

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Well, although I consider myself non-denominational, I probably mesh best with the conseratives, so that part doesn't bother me.

The problem is that your website is only an invitation to come here him talk about it. the site itself doesn't give any of his points. What am I supposed to comment on? The bells and whistles of the invitation?

I'm leaving the African American thing alone. It's too complicated an issue. They are sooooo discriminated against and its IS a genuine problem, and they have a right to complain. On the other hand, when we are put down, whether its because of our sex, or our religion, or our ethnicity, the solution is to try 10 times as hard so that we can succeed and give them the finger. There is such a thing as a victim mentality and it's not healthy. So you see, the answer is not easy, not black and white (no pun intended).
Not black and white. Hoho.

LAGoff

Join ToI Community as Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove calls for a new American Judaism

Any thoughts on R. Cosgrove’s ideas ?

He’s a bit too conservo for my taste, agreed ?

What's 'conservo'?
I listened to all 30 minutes of it.
I never read Kaplan. I tried, but I stopped for the same reason I don't belong or identify with 'reform' movements anymore.
Rabbi Cosgrove ends more 'conservative'-- pushing back at Kaplan. I appreciate that. Maybe this indicates a turn towards conservatism in 'Reform' movements. I hope so. I think the 'Reform' has gone about as far as it can go.
I grew up with this 'progressive', 'evolved', 'enlightened' Park Avenue Judaism. It never really took though. I have been out of contact with it for so long. This talk reminded me of why I had to leave it behind.
Perhaps in the scheme of things, the 'Reform' was needed. I wasn't there at 'Reform's' beginnings, but I can imagine unopposed Orthodox rule. In any event, 'Reform' (Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionism, Renewal) has become so much a part of the air we breath that I assume 'Orthodoxy' has been changed because of it. Maybe it has become less the monster of my imagination.
I have read Rabbi S.R. Hirsch's (the founder of Modern Orthodoxy) critique of 'Reform', and I do agree with a lot of what he said. But maybe I am sitting on the shoulders of Reform and spitting on it? Who knows? In any event, thanks 'Park Avenue' for giving me your best, but it left me hollow and shivering.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
What's 'conservo'?
I listened to all 30 minutes of it.
I never read Kaplan. I tried, but I stopped for the same reason I don't belong or identify with 'reform' movements anymore.
Rabbi Cosgrove ends more 'conservative'-- pushing back at Kaplan. I appreciate that. Maybe this indicates a turn towards conservatism in 'Reform' movements. I hope so. I think the 'Reform' has gone about as far as it can go.
I grew up with this 'progressive', 'evolved', 'enlightened' Park Avenue Judaism. It never really took though. I have been out of contact with it for so long. This talk reminded me of why I had to leave it behind.
Perhaps in the scheme of things, the 'Reform' was needed. I wasn't there at 'Reform's' beginnings, but I can imagine unopposed Orthodox rule. In any event, 'Reform' (Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionism, Renewal) has become so much a part of the air we breath that I assume 'Orthodoxy' has been changed because of it. Maybe it has become less the monster of my imagination.
I have read Rabbi S.R. Hirsch's (the founder of Modern Orthodoxy) critique of 'Reform', and I do agree with a lot of what he said. But maybe I am sitting on the shoulders of Reform and spitting on it? Who knows? In any event, thanks 'Park Avenue' for giving me your best, but it left me hollow and shivering.
Very nice thoughts, LA Goff, you are clearly a Conservodox poster. I think Jewish-Atheism is the most logical Jewish movement and will post that separately, but give it a different name, hehe. The problem I see is that Torahaic concepts from 586BC need to be brought to present day thinking.When you talk about “Park Ave Judaism” you are referring to the group of reform (small “r”) Judaism movements. I like that ! I believe the reason this sub-forum is so under utilized is because it is full of OJ’s. If you look at temple membership rosters you will see mostly “Park Ave” Jews. Agreed ?

FYI - Temple Israel is technically on 75th St, off Park Ave.

Last edited: