• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Airplane Design

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But will there be snacks (asking for a friend).
Yes.
The finest in Klingon cuisine.
OIP.iXSqhpSn9ASsjK27JSwHEAHaFr

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Fascinating concept....one that I'm surprised hasn't arrived before.
Long-awaited Celera 500L 'bullet' plane is finally revealed
Excerpted....
Now, in the late summer of the strangest year in aviation history, the Celera 500L has finally been revealed to the world, with the launch of a new website and a bunch of very cool new photos.
What we're looking at is a six-person private craft that promises to fly at jet speeds, but with eight times lower fuel consumption, and a range that's twice that of a comparably sized craft.
Bold claims indeed. Otto Aviation says on its website that 31 successful test flights have so far been performed, with aerodynamic efficiency proven in 2019, bolstering its declaration that "the Celera 500L is the most fuel-efficient, commercially viable aircraft in existence."
The company, founded in 2008 and an offshoot of Bill Otto's Otto Laboratories, says that the Celera 500L runs at 18 to 25 miles-per-gallon fuel economy (compared to the 2-3 miles-per-gallon of a comparable jet aircraft).
Then there are the modest $328 hourly operating costs, which are about six times lower, and the generous 4,500-nautical-mile range. Maximum cruise speed is projected to reach more than 460 miles per hour.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200827161332-celera-500l-image-1570.jpg

"Our goal has always been to create a safe and private aircraft that would allow for direct flights in the US at speeds and cost comparable to commercial air travel," company CEO Bill Otto Jr. tells CNN Travel.
The range is such that the Celera 500L would be able to service nearly every city pairing in the United States without refueling.
The reason its aircraft can do all this, says Otto Aviation, is down to laminar flow.
Laminar flow is the minimum drag solution for aircraft surfaces, explains its website, and features smooth layers of airflow with little to no mixing of adjacent layers.
What the Celera 500L lacks in generous feature windows, it makes up for with a fuselage that takes advantage of an optimum length-to-width ratio to maximize laminar flow. Laminar shapes are also used for the wings and tail sections.
Inside, the cabin lacks natural light but is still spacious enough, with its 6 foot 2 (1.88 meters) height and six first-class equivalent seats with customizable configuration.
With its aerodynamic airframe meaning it requires a lot less horsepower to achieve takeoff and cruise speeds, the Celera 500L is powered by the RED A03 engine. It has a Liquid cooled V12, twin 6-cylinder bank and, says Otto Aviation, offers best-in-class efficiency. It's certified to operate on Jet A1 and biodiesel.
It also can go underwater as a submarine.

Oh wait a minute. I've been watching those 1950s sci fi flicks again.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Most of the 'Hippies' I encountered back in the day wouldn't be taking home any trophies from any beauty contests...just sayin'.
You never met the beautiful ones. That must have caused you to become the person you are today.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Power to weight isn't everything.
Many vehicles which are weight sensitive (eg, highway trucks)
select diesels because of fuel economy. This plane, because
of the low horsepower required, will have a smaller engine
than a comparable capacity current technology airplane with
turbulent flow over the surfaces. Being smaller means the
weight penalty is proportionately less. It also aims at a market
where range matters. Better fuel economy & fuel with higher
energy density by weight serve this. There's better safety too
because of lower flammability & no ignition system to fail.
Yes that all makes sense. But that's why I'd like more details of the engine. As a former diesel engine lubes man, I take a passing interest in these things. MTU used to make very high power/weight ratio diesels for rail and marine use, with 2-stage turbocharging, for example.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes that all makes sense. But that's why I'd like more details of the engine. As a former diesel engine lubes man, I take a passing interest in these things. MTU used to make very high power/weight ratio diesels for rail and marine use, with 2-stage turbocharging, for example.
Sounds like fun.
If you're a Diesel fan, then buy a brick for the new diesel
(air blast fuel injection) building. Or better yet, volunteer.
Scroll down to where it says "MAN Project".
Coolspring Power Museum
Note that this engine pre-dates the existence of MAN by
a decade or so. But few can pronounce the predecessor
company's lengthy German name.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Kind of looks like a killer whale.
I thought "dolphin", but your impression is better.
It looks very clean for sub-sonic flight.

I'm surprised at the interest in this thread.
I figured that a few nerds/geeks would read it.
But perhaps the appeal of private planes at
commercial airliner rates is the draw, eh.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You never met the beautiful ones. That must have caused you to become the person you are today.

I was around when the "hippie" movement started back in '67. I was also around when the whole thing became obsolete when Disco became the norm. People want to idolize the era by thinking all young people back then believe in "peace and love". The truth is that most of us just wanted to get high, get laid, listen to the music, and not go to work. Also, bathing was optional. Even back then, beauty was in the eye of the beholder.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sounds like fun.
If you're a Diesel fan, then buy a brick for the new diesel
(air blast fuel injection) building. Or better yet, volunteer.
Scroll down to where it says "MAN Project".
Coolspring Power Museum
Note that this engine pre-dates the existence of MAN by
a decade or so. But few can pronounce the predecessor
company's lengthy German name.
Very nice. However I don't quite follow what you mean when you say that engine predates MAN. It is an MAN engine, surely? MAN stands for Maschinenfabrik Augsburg Nurnberg. My understanding is that this is just a simplified version of the original name of the company, as shown on the engine nameplate. Or is there more to the story?

By the way I used to visit the Augsburg works quite regularly as part of my job. They still make large medium-speed engines there, for ships and power stations. There is a plaque on the wall at the spot where Rudolf Diesel built the first engine and there is, or was, always a little vase of fresh flowers there. I found it touching that these German engineers in oily overalls would take such trouble.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very nice. However I don't quite follow what you mean when you say that engine predates MAN. It is an MAN engine, surely? MAN stands for Maschinenfabrik Augsburg Nurnberg. My understanding is that this is just a simplified version of the original name of the company, as shown on the engine nameplate. Or is there more to the story?
Wikipedia says it was a name change, but that claim isn't sourced.
I suspect a reorganization of the company, with MAN being an
incarnation of the predecessor. I'll be finding out more from
knowledgeable people as the project progresses.
By the way I used to visit the Augsburg works quite regularly as part of my job. They still make large medium-speed engines there, for ships and power stations. There is a plaque on the wall at the spot where Rudolf Diesel built the first engine and there is, or was, always a little vase of fresh flowers there. I found it touching that these German engineers in oily overalls would take such trouble.
Fun times!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was around when the "hippie" movement started back in '67. I was also around when the whole thing became obsolete when Disco became the norm. People want to idolize the era by thinking all young people back then believe in "peace and love". The truth is that most of us just wanted to get high, get laid, listen to the music, and not go to work. Also, bathing was optional. Even back then, beauty was in the eye of the beholder.
We're both from that era. My friends and I were college students and graduate students. My wife, a friend and I were at Woodstock and helped levitate the Pentagon. A whole bunch of us took seriously "Get clean for Gene" during the Presidential campaign.

It was a mixed bag for those of us that lived through it. Some of us did (and still do) believe in "peace and love". My experiences turned my life in a spiritual direction. Others slipped into a drug-induced morass.

As they used to say "your mileage may vary"

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We're both from that era. My friends and I were college students and graduate students. My wife, a friend and I were at Woodstock and helped levitate the Pentagon. A whole bunch of us took seriously "Get clean for Gene" during the Presidential campaign.

It was a mixed bag for those of us that lived through it. Some of us did (and still do) believe in "peace and love". My experiences turned my life in a spiritual direction. Others slipped into a drug-induced morass.

As they used to say "your mileage may vary"

Regrettably, most 17-19 year olds back then were not as smart or as savvy as you.