• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Airplane Design

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Fascinating concept....one that I'm surprised hasn't arrived before.
Long-awaited Celera 500L 'bullet' plane is finally revealed
Excerpted....
Now, in the late summer of the strangest year in aviation history, the Celera 500L has finally been revealed to the world, with the launch of a new website and a bunch of very cool new photos.
What we're looking at is a six-person private craft that promises to fly at jet speeds, but with eight times lower fuel consumption, and a range that's twice that of a comparably sized craft.
Bold claims indeed. Otto Aviation says on its website that 31 successful test flights have so far been performed, with aerodynamic efficiency proven in 2019, bolstering its declaration that "the Celera 500L is the most fuel-efficient, commercially viable aircraft in existence."
The company, founded in 2008 and an offshoot of Bill Otto's Otto Laboratories, says that the Celera 500L runs at 18 to 25 miles-per-gallon fuel economy (compared to the 2-3 miles-per-gallon of a comparable jet aircraft).
Then there are the modest $328 hourly operating costs, which are about six times lower, and the generous 4,500-nautical-mile range. Maximum cruise speed is projected to reach more than 460 miles per hour.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200827161332-celera-500l-image-1570.jpg

"Our goal has always been to create a safe and private aircraft that would allow for direct flights in the US at speeds and cost comparable to commercial air travel," company CEO Bill Otto Jr. tells CNN Travel.
The range is such that the Celera 500L would be able to service nearly every city pairing in the United States without refueling.
The reason its aircraft can do all this, says Otto Aviation, is down to laminar flow.
Laminar flow is the minimum drag solution for aircraft surfaces, explains its website, and features smooth layers of airflow with little to no mixing of adjacent layers.
What the Celera 500L lacks in generous feature windows, it makes up for with a fuselage that takes advantage of an optimum length-to-width ratio to maximize laminar flow. Laminar shapes are also used for the wings and tail sections.
Inside, the cabin lacks natural light but is still spacious enough, with its 6 foot 2 (1.88 meters) height and six first-class equivalent seats with customizable configuration.
With its aerodynamic airframe meaning it requires a lot less horsepower to achieve takeoff and cruise speeds, the Celera 500L is powered by the RED A03 engine. It has a Liquid cooled V12, twin 6-cylinder bank and, says Otto Aviation, offers best-in-class efficiency. It's certified to operate on Jet A1 and biodiesel.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suspect that that this approach is made more feasible by
the stronger lighter materials today, since this design has
a high surface area to capacity ratio.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Fascinating concept....one that I'm surprised hasn't arrived before.
Long-awaited Celera 500L 'bullet' plane is finally revealed
Excerpted....
Now, in the late summer of the strangest year in aviation history, the Celera 500L has finally been revealed to the world, with the launch of a new website and a bunch of very cool new photos.
What we're looking at is a six-person private craft that promises to fly at jet speeds, but with eight times lower fuel consumption, and a range that's twice that of a comparably sized craft.
Bold claims indeed. Otto Aviation says on its website that 31 successful test flights have so far been performed, with aerodynamic efficiency proven in 2019, bolstering its declaration that "the Celera 500L is the most fuel-efficient, commercially viable aircraft in existence."
The company, founded in 2008 and an offshoot of Bill Otto's Otto Laboratories, says that the Celera 500L runs at 18 to 25 miles-per-gallon fuel economy (compared to the 2-3 miles-per-gallon of a comparable jet aircraft).
Then there are the modest $328 hourly operating costs, which are about six times lower, and the generous 4,500-nautical-mile range. Maximum cruise speed is projected to reach more than 460 miles per hour.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200827161332-celera-500l-image-1570.jpg

"Our goal has always been to create a safe and private aircraft that would allow for direct flights in the US at speeds and cost comparable to commercial air travel," company CEO Bill Otto Jr. tells CNN Travel.
The range is such that the Celera 500L would be able to service nearly every city pairing in the United States without refueling.
The reason its aircraft can do all this, says Otto Aviation, is down to laminar flow.
Laminar flow is the minimum drag solution for aircraft surfaces, explains its website, and features smooth layers of airflow with little to no mixing of adjacent layers.
What the Celera 500L lacks in generous feature windows, it makes up for with a fuselage that takes advantage of an optimum length-to-width ratio to maximize laminar flow. Laminar shapes are also used for the wings and tail sections.
Inside, the cabin lacks natural light but is still spacious enough, with its 6 foot 2 (1.88 meters) height and six first-class equivalent seats with customizable configuration.
With its aerodynamic airframe meaning it requires a lot less horsepower to achieve takeoff and cruise speeds, the Celera 500L is powered by the RED A03 engine. It has a Liquid cooled V12, twin 6-cylinder bank and, says Otto Aviation, offers best-in-class efficiency. It's certified to operate on Jet A1 and biodiesel.
I'd love to know more about the engine and propeller. If they claim it can fly as fast as a jet, there will be some issues to do with the blade tips going supersonic. I wonder how noisy it is - this could be a killer. I think there was an "unducted fan" engine concept some years back that got killed off for this reason.

Also I'm intrigued by the engine design. If it operates on diesel, does that mean it is a compression ignition (diesel) engine? Normally the power/weight ratio for these is poor, due to the high compression ratios, which require a robust construction. I suppose you can get some of this back by high performance turbocharging but even so.....

I'll look forward to more details in due course.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd love to know more about the engine and propeller. If they claim it can fly as fast as a jet, there will be some issues to do with the blade tips going supersonic. I wonder how noisy it is - this could be a killer. I think there was an "unducted fan" engine concept some years back that got killed off for this reason.

Also I'm intrigued by the engine design. If it operates on diesel, does that mean it is a compression ignition (diesel) engine? Normally the power/weight ratio for these is poor, due to the high compression ratios, which require a robust construction. I suppose you can get some of this back by high performance turbocharging but even so.....

I'll look forward to more details in due course.
Some background on diesels in aircraft...
Aircraft diesel engine - Wikipedia
Some thoughts on things changed in its favor....
- Increased fuel cost. (Diesels are thermodynamically
more efficient than gasoline engines.)
- Engine development has progressed. They've become
cleaner, quieter, & horsepowerier.
- Low fuel flammability.
- Higher diesel fuel energy density.
- This plane has lower power requirements than those of
the same capacity, so the engine is smaller, reducing any
weight penalty.
- Many small airports don't have avgas, but diesel can be
bought at nearby gas stations.
- A real man's engine doesn't have spark plugs.

Btw, I cheated a little...remembering some of the Wiki article.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Props get less "bite" on the air at high speeds or high altitudes. I'm surprised a prop powered plane's able to fly at "jet speeds."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Props get less "bite" on the air at high speeds or high altitudes. I'm surprised a prop powered plane's able to fly at "jet speeds."
Note that it's a very sub-sonic jet speed, & actually slower than
some high performance piston powered propeller driven planes.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought the exact opposite. I thought it's very awesome looking :)
I like the appearance because I know it serves function.
Especially the rear prop....very efficient design cuz it
keeps propwash (turbulence) away from the plane's
surfaces.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'd love to make use of ...

"In many cases, individuals and families will be able to charter the Celera 500L at prices comparable to commercial airfares, but with the convenience of private aviation." [ibid]​
I predict this is utter BS. All they're doing is separating the first class passengers from the rest of the plane, putting them in their own plain (at a higher cost, of course) and making the regular plane coach seating for everyone. The "elites" will pay the extra cost not to have to fly with the common riff-raff, and the airlines will make more money off all those coach seats, too.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some background on diesels in aircraft...
Aircraft diesel engine - Wikipedia
Some thoughts on things changed in its favor....
- Increased fuel cost. (Diesels are thermodynamically
more efficient than gasoline engines.)
- Engine development has progressed. They've become
cleaner, quieter, & horsepowerier.
- Low fuel flammability.
- Higher diesel fuel energy density.
- This plane has lower power requirements than those of
the same capacity, so the engine is smaller, reducing any
weight penalty.
- Many small airports don't have avgas, but diesel can be
bought at nearby gas stations.
- A real man's engine doesn't have spark plugs.

Btw, I cheated a little...remembering some of the Wiki article.
What you say about fuel economy is obviously true but I think you will still find their power to weight ratio is inferior to a spark-ignition engine. Maybe with this aircraft they can tolerate the weight penalty.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What you say about fuel economy is obviously true but I think you will still find their power to weight ratio is inferior to a spark-ignition engine. Maybe with this aircraft they can tolerate the weight penalty.
Power to weight isn't everything.
Many vehicles which are weight sensitive (eg, highway trucks)
select diesels because of fuel economy. This plane, because
of the low horsepower required, will have a smaller engine
than a comparable capacity current technology airplane with
turbulent flow over the surfaces. Being smaller means the
weight penalty is proportionately less. It also aims at a market
where range matters. Better fuel economy & fuel with higher
energy density by weight serve this. There's better safety too
because of lower flammability & no ignition system to fail.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Power to weight isn't everything.
Many vehicles which are weight sensitive (eg, highway trucks)
select diesels because of fuel economy. This plane, because
of the low horsepower required will have a smaller engine than
a comparable capacity current technology airplane. Being
smaller means the weight penalty is proportionately less.

But will there be snacks (asking for a friend).