• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Age is NOT New Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

magisterfaust

fresh meat
Why do people insist on calling it "New Age", when the practices go back. thousands of years. Holistic medicine, spiritual exploration, mystisicm, etc... STOP CALLING IT NEW AGE.

Random

Why do people insist on calling it "New Age", when the practices go back. thousands of years. Holistic medicine, spiritual exploration, mystisicm, etc... STOP CALLING IT NEW AGE.

They've repackaged pantheism and Hinduism as "New Age", it's true. You've copped that. Well done!

Random

Please give a specific example.

I hope he does too, but I have one: very obviously, Neo-paganism is a repackaging or "sexing up" of multifarious polytheistic concepts, including goddess-worship, dating back to the beginning of recorded history. Wouldn't you agree?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I hope he does too, but I have one: very obviously, Neo-paganism is a repackaging or "sexing up" of multifarious polytheistic concepts, including goddess-worship, dating back to the beginning of recorded history. Wouldn't you agree?
Even neo-paganism is an umbrella term for many of the newly created religions.

Which is exactly why I am hoping for a few specific "new-age" religions be presented.
Wicca was started in the early 1950s.
Then you have all the religions that claim the title Wicca that have little to nothing to do with wicca.

Francine

In 1976 Manuel Gottsching, lead guitarist for Ash Ra Tempel, went solo and put out a classic LP of electronic music called "New Age of Earth" which was first soundtrack for earth muffins smoking pot and staring at their lava lamps to be called "new age music", which today is dominated by the likes of Yawn-i. The religious stuff jumped into the same bin with the tunes.

Amazon.com: New Age of Earth: Music: Ashra

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The practices may go way back but the way most people practice don't.

New Age

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see New Age (disambiguation).

Spirituality Portal
New Age is the term commonly used to designate the broad movement of late 20th century and contemporary Western culture, characterized by an eclectic and individual approach to spiritual exploration and references the supposed coming astrological Age of Aquarius. Self-spirituality, New spirituality, and Mind-body-spirit are other names sometimes used for the movement. [1][2][3] New Age is a term which includes diverse individuals, including some who graft additional beliefs onto a traditional religious affiliation. [3] Individuals who hold any of its beliefs may not identify with the name, and the name may be applied as a label by outsiders to anyone they consider inclined towards its world view. The New Age movement includes elements of older spiritual and religious traditions from both East and West, many of which have been melded with ideas from modern science, particularly psychology and ecology. New Age ideas could be described as drawing inspiration from all the major world religions with influences from Spiritualism, Buddhism, Hermeticism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Shamanism, Mayanism, Ceremonial magic, Sufism, Taoism, New Thought, Wiccan and Neo-Paganism being especially strong. From this collection of influences have come a wide-ranging literature on spirituality, new musical styles and crafts—most visible in speciality shops and New Age fairs and festivals[4][5]

New Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike182

Flaming Queer

if that is what you think then you have simply missed the whole point of the movement.

i feel like i am about to write an essay, which i don't really want to do right now... ok, to just give out one example to support your claim, North American Indian Religions. these indigenous religions are an inspiration to the New Age, and many spokes people from these religions have accused the New Age of cultural theft. i can't remember how far North American Indian Religions date back off hand, but certainly 2000+ years.

so why is what the New Age Movement offers in any way "new", when most of what they have to offer is recycled material? i think that is the question you were getting at, which by the way, you could have done in a much more tactful and respectful manor.

well, in an attempt to avoid witting an essay, i will give a short answer. the "new" refers to the end of organised religion, it has nothing to do with the age of the beliefs and practices involved. to justify this point, many of the beliefs and practices of New Agers differ greatly, though there are similarities it is very individualistic. the most prominent underlying feature however is that the individual "turned away from organised religion to find their inner self", and many within the movement would extend that to say "more people need to turn away from organised religion". if they did, we would see a spiritual revolution, and it would certainly be "new" in the West after 1800 years of organised religion.

blackout

Violet.
well, in an attempt to avoid witting an essay, i will give a short answer. the "new" refers to the end of organised religion, it has nothing to do with the age of the beliefs and practices involved. to justify this point, many of the beliefs and practices of New Agers differ greatly, though there are similarities it is very individualistic. the most prominent underlying feature however is that the individual "turned away from organised religion to find their inner self", and many within the movement would extend that to say "more people need to turn away from organised religion". if they did, we would see a spiritual revolution, and it would certainly be "new" in the West after 1800 years of organised religion.

Right. It's "New Age". Not "New Religion".

Just don't come to me with a New World Order.
Orders of any kind I'm not particulary fond of.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
just a thought, do we have any actual New Agers on the forum? i know that i'm certainly not a New Ager...

blackout

Violet.
Dunno WHAT I am.
If I say I'm "nothing"...
will I disappear?

Still I seriously do think a New (more organic) kind of Age is well in "order".
Don't you?

:eek: Did I say that?!

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
One of the problems with many new agers is that they make up their own little religion, like mating Aphrodite with Shiva, and then claim that because they use old gods that their 'religion' is as old as the gods they used.

On A Side Note...
The example I used above is what one of my neighbors did.
He also included this Wiccan Rede and he uses what he calls the Sevenfold Law, which is nothing but the Threefold Law only seven times the return.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
One of the problems with many new agers is that they make up their own little religion, like mating Aphrodite with Shiva, and then claim that because they use old gods that their 'religion' is as old as the gods they used.

On A Side Note...
The example I used above is what one of my neighbors did.
He also included this Wiccan Rede and he uses what he calls the Sevenfold Law, which is nothing but the Threefold Law only seven times the return.

That actually doesn't bother me as much as it may other people. As an eclectic myself, I meld some odd cultures together, but it works just fantastically for me.

I know/knew a guy who's patron was Athena yet he called himself a druid, it certainly raised an eyebrow from me, but I was not about to tell him that he couldn't do it. As I like to say, there's very little that is outside of the realm of possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.