• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never trust clam chowder in a microwave! :-(

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So I put a big bowl of clam chowder in the microwave for two minutes, and I watched as six seconds were remaining, and a big bang, followed by easily 90% of it flying out of the bowl.

It was a more thick clam chowder than average, and bowl was really full, but couldn't believe my eyes!

Very little was left in the bowl after that. I made sure to not waste it and put it back in the bowl and down my gullet, but I think I'm done trying to microwave clam chowder.

I can understand a little splash getting on the microwave plate, but seeing most of the bowl jump out all over the place like that at once , right before my naked eyes, is a deal breaker for me, and I simply don't trust clam chowder in a microwave anymore. :(

Do you think maybe a piece of the aluminum can or something got into it to cause that? *Shrug*

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
So I put a big bowl of clam chowder in the microwave for two minutes, and I watched as six seconds were remaining, and a big bang, followed by easily 90% of it flying out of the bowl.

It was a more thick clam chowder than average, and bowl was really full, but couldn't believe my eyes!

Very little was left in the bowl after that. I made sure to not waste it and put it back in the bowl and down my gullet, but I think I'm done trying to microwave clam chowder.

I can understand a little splash getting on the microwave plate, but seeing most of the bowl jump out all over the place like that at once , right before my naked eyes, is a deal breaker for me, and I simply don't trust clam chowder in a microwave anymore. :(

Do you think maybe a piece of the aluminum can or something got into it to cause that? *Shrug*

In my experience, thick things like that don't heat real well in microwaves. I advise the stove for such, but if you don't have one, try stopping periodically and stirring your soup. Maybe after every 30 seconds... it will prevent any one area from getting too hot to the point that it 'pops' like that.

Suave

Simulated character

As a vegetarian, I need not worry above splattered clam chowder. My broccoli and cheese soup with the broccoli microwaved in a microwavable container never leaves me any splattered mess. ....:p

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
To heat something thick in the microwave like a chowder or stew, microwave it in 1 minute intervals and stir in between until thoroughly heated.

This works for cream sauces like Alfredo as well (but this is trickier).

Suave

Simulated character
If there is clam chowder in the microwave I must be in the wrong house.
If I recall, there is an Old Testament verse regarding dietary law which forbids shell fish, but then most Christians believe this dietary law was negated by J.C. Right?
Perhaps, exploding clam chowder might be a message by God to be kosher. ....:D

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
You spelled it wrong. It's "clam chowdah." :p

I trust clam chowder to be explosive.
Always put a lid on it.
Now....

OMG! Yes!! I was thinking of that scene on The Simpsons as I read @Spiderman's post! :D

Anyway, yes, it's pronounced 'chowdah!' If anyone here disagrees, then I'll block all of you! I'll block all of you, especially the staff members! :tongueout:

I definitely second what @JustGeorge said. If microwaving any thick soup, cover the bowl with a paper towel, and stop it every 30 seconds to stir.

P.S. I get the feeling that Spiderman pronounces it 'showder.' Lol. Ooh la la! :tongueout: I'm just kidding, of course. :)

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
If I recall, there is an Old Testament verse regarding dietary law which forbids shell fish, but then most Christians believe this dietary law was negated by J.C. Right?
Perhaps, exploding clam chowder might be a message by God to be kosher. ....:D
If there was any JC connected to the incident it was…….. Julia Child.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OMG! Yes!! I was thinking of that scene on The Simpsons as I read @Spiderman's post! :D

Anyway, yes, it's pronounced 'chowdah!' If anyone here disagrees, then I'll block all of you! I'll block all of you, especially the staff members! :tongueout:

I definitely second what @JustGeorge said. If microwaving any thick soup, cover the bowl with a paper towel, and stop it every 30 seconds to stir.

P.S. I get the feeling that Spiderman pronounces it 'showder.' Lol. Ooh la la! :tongueout: I'm just kidding, of course. :)
Aye, tis CHOWDAH...CHOWDAH!