• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neuroscientists Have Discovered a Previously Hidden Region in The Human Brain

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This story has broken in Australia and I like it that this new discovery is not found in any other primate.

Brain.jpg

"TESSA KOUMOUNDOUROS

22 NOV 2018
It turns out we humans may have an extra type of thinky bit that isn't found in other primates. A previously unknown brain structure was identified while scientists carefully imaged parts of the human brain for an upcoming atlas on brain anatomy.

Neuroscientist George Paxinos and his team at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) have named their discovery the endorestiform nucleus - because it is located within (endo) the inferior cerebellar peduncle (also called the restiform body). It's found at the base of the brain, near where the brain meets the spinal cord.

This area is involved in receiving sensory and motor information from our bodies to refine our posture, balance and movements.

"The inferior cerebellar peduncle is like a river carrying information from the spinal cord and brainstem to the cerebellum," Paxinos told ScienceAlert.

"The endorestiform nucleus is a group of neurons, and it is like an island in this river."

Neuroscientist Lyndsey Collins-Praino from Adelaide University, who was not involved in the study, told ScienceAlert that Paxinos' discovery is "intriguing".

"While one can speculate that the endorestiform nucleus may play a key role in [the functions of the inferior cerebellar peduncle], it is too early to know its true significance," she added.

Paxinos confirmed the existence of this brain structure while using a relatively new brain staining technique he developed to make images of the brain tissues clearer (and surely also prettier!) for the latest neuroanatomy atlas he has been working on.

These stains target cell products actively being made - chemicals in the brain such as neurotransmitters, providing a map of brain tissues. This helps to differentiate the neuron groups by their function - rather than just the traditional way of separating them by how the cells look - revealing what is known as the chemoarchitecture of the brain.

"The endorestiform nucleus is all too evident by its dense staining for [the enzyme] acetylcholinesterase, all the more evident because the surrounding areas are negative," Paxinos explained.

"It was nearly the case the nucleus discovered me, than the other way around."

Link to rest of story;

This should be interesting, man a distinct species?

Regards Tony

David T

Premium Member
According to my understanding all species evolved to be distinct in some way.

What does it have to do with the E. Vs C. Debate?
E vs C has zero to do with either the bible or science.... nothing!!!

That entire discussion is about the existence of bigfoot, yeti, crop circles, aliens, dr who, star trek, star wars, harry potter and the list goes on and on! All of it a mashing of highly uncreative thinkers arguing creatively!!!! More like art critics of velvet elvis art really.

Maybe this region of the brain is its fantasy center!!!!

David T

Premium Member
It looks like a microchip - are we sure its not an implant?
Obviously it is. We know factually we live in a virtual reality and this all is a holodeck either created by a supreme being or some type of advanced computer creatsd by some advanced civilization.

I saw it in the documentary star trek and dr who.

Bear Wild

This story has broken in Australia and I like it that this new discovery is not found in any other primate.

View attachment 25508

"TESSA KOUMOUNDOUROS

22 NOV 2018
It turns out we humans may have an extra type of thinky bit that isn't found in other primates. A previously unknown brain structure was identified while scientists carefully imaged parts of the human brain for an upcoming atlas on brain anatomy.

Neuroscientist George Paxinos and his team at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) have named their discovery the endorestiform nucleus - because it is located within (endo) the inferior cerebellar peduncle (also called the restiform body). It's found at the base of the brain, near where the brain meets the spinal cord.

This area is involved in receiving sensory and motor information from our bodies to refine our posture, balance and movements.

"The inferior cerebellar peduncle is like a river carrying information from the spinal cord and brainstem to the cerebellum," Paxinos told ScienceAlert.

"The endorestiform nucleus is a group of neurons, and it is like an island in this river."

Neuroscientist Lyndsey Collins-Praino from Adelaide University, who was not involved in the study, told ScienceAlert that Paxinos' discovery is "intriguing".

"While one can speculate that the endorestiform nucleus may play a key role in [the functions of the inferior cerebellar peduncle], it is too early to know its true significance," she added.

Paxinos confirmed the existence of this brain structure while using a relatively new brain staining technique he developed to make images of the brain tissues clearer (and surely also prettier!) for the latest neuroanatomy atlas he has been working on.

These stains target cell products actively being made - chemicals in the brain such as neurotransmitters, providing a map of brain tissues. This helps to differentiate the neuron groups by their function - rather than just the traditional way of separating them by how the cells look - revealing what is known as the chemoarchitecture of the brain.

"The endorestiform nucleus is all too evident by its dense staining for [the enzyme] acetylcholinesterase, all the more evident because the surrounding areas are negative," Paxinos explained.

"It was nearly the case the nucleus discovered me, than the other way around."

Link to rest of story;

This should be interesting, man a distinct species?

Regards Tony
This is an interesting find. It is located in a very conserved part of the nervous system associated with coordination of movement. Man is a distinct species but as he says the next step is to see if it can be found in other primates which have not been tested so far. Not surprising that it is found first in human brains since we have the greatest data on human brains. Making any other assumptions about its meaning is a large mistake. The brains of birds were though to be very primitive until enough attention and new techniques of staining made us realize they are organized different but equally complex as mammal brains.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is an interesting find. It is located in a very conserved part of the nervous system associated with coordination of movement. Man is a distinct species but as he says the next step is to see if it can be found in other primates which have not been tested so far. Not surprising that it is found first in human brains since we have the greatest data on human brains. Making any other assumptions about its meaning is a large mistake. The brains of birds were though to be very primitive until enough attention and new techniques of staining made us realize they are organized different but equally complex as mammal brains.

I would agree that one can not come to any conclusion until more research is done.

I found it interesting, as from a Baha'i persepective we are told Mans evolution is as a distinct species. I suspect science in the future will confirm this.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to my understanding all species evolved to be distinct in some way.

What does it have to do with the E. Vs C. Debate?

I see science of the future will tie them bith together.

God created all things that evolve within a given potential. With man, a potential is given that other species on this planet do not have.

Regards Tony

Bear Wild

I see science of the future will tie them bith together.

God created all things that evolve within a given potential. With man, a potential is given that other species on this planet do not have.

Regards Tony
And other species have potentials than man does not have. Humans are unique yes but so are all other life forms. When we speak of something above or superior is when we make dangerous claims as has been done to distinguish humans from savages of the past.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And other species have potentials than man does not have. Humans are unique yes but so are all other life forms. When we speak of something above or superior is when we make dangerous claims as has been done to distinguish humans from savages of the past.

To be human is to look after all creation and the environment. I see It is not about being superior, it is recognising the gift given and using it correctly.

Regards Tony

Bear Wild

To be human is to look after all creation and the environment. I see It is not about being superior, it is recognising the gift given and using it correctly.

Regards Tony
To be human is to have the ability to recognize the value of our world but unfortunately to be human is also to abuse the environment which we live in in a behavior of feeling superior and not recognizing the give we are given.