• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netanyahu won’t condemn the real danger to U.S. Jews: White nationalism

sooda

Veteran Member
This is an excerpt from Washington Post.. I am sorry that many of you will not be able to read the whole thing. I broke down paragraphs for easier reading.

Israel’s prime minister is quick to call out threats from Muslims, though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...ews-white-nationalism/?utm_term=.d29008ef0330

April 29
For the second time in six months, Jews have been gunned down, allegedly by a self-proclaimed white supremacist, in their house of worship on U.S. soil, just for being Jewish. And for the second time in six months, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has responded to the killing of American Jews, allegedly by a self-identified white supremacist, without calling out the alleged perpetrator or mentioning their right-wing white-supremacist ideology.

In his condemnation of the shooting at the Chabad synagogue in Poway, Calif., on Twitter, Netanyahu called the incident an attack on the “heart of the Jewish people,” but he followed that with a vague assertion that “the international community must step up its struggle against antisemitism.” He didn’t use the word “terrorist,” which he and other Israeli leaders and media reach for systematically to describe violent attacks in which the assailants are Muslim or Arab — even when the victims are not Jewish.

Netanyahu’s politics won’t allow him to explicitly condemn anti-Semitic ideology unless it manifests in explicitly Islamist ways. Anti-Semitism that doesn’t have anything to do with groups Netanyahu sees as enemies of Israel barely seems to move him at all.

Netanyahu is far more florid in his descriptions of threats that line up with his worldview. He’s called Palestinians and other Arabs “wild beasts” who seek to infiltrate Israel’s borders and has called the war with militant Islam a “struggle of civilizations.”

In February, after 80 Jewish graves were desecrated in France but no one was injured, Netanyahu’s response was more emphatic: He specifically called out the “wild antisemites” who committed the act and called it “a plague that endangers everyone, not just us.” Two Israelis who recently moved to California were among those injured in the Chabad synagogue attack, but Netanyahu still couldn’t muster up any specific outrage that condemns what is clearly a pattern of violence with a specific source.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This bromance between Trump and Netanyahu is maybe going to upset the bromance between Trump and Putin?:weary: Or is it going to be menage de tua?

Oh, the visuals. :eek:

sooda

Veteran Member
continued

The leading Jewish organizations dedicated to combating anti-Semitism, all of them unquestionably pro-Israel, are calling out white supremacy now.

In its statement after the shooting, Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem, issued a statement that it “strongly condemns the actions of the anti-Semitic white supremacist at this house of worship.”

The Anti-Defamation League tweeted on Sunday that “domestic terrorism and white supremacy are serious concerns,” and an op-ed by one of its employees called out the Trump administration for not doing enough to combat the phenomenon. In January, the ADL published a report titled “Right-Wing Extremist Violence is Our Biggest Threat. The Numbers Don’t Lie.”

By the ADL’s count, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the United States last year. The alleged perpetrators were overwhelmingly “linked to right-wing extremists,” and “white supremacists were responsible for the great majority of the killings, which is typically the case.” According to the ADL, “right-wing extremists collectively have been responsible for more than 70 percent of the 427 extremist-related killings over the past 10 years, far outnumbering those committed by left-wing extremists or domestic Islamist extremists — even with the sharp rise of Islamist-extremist killings in the past five years.”

But Netanyahu won’t even acknowledge who’s committing these crimes. By refusing to condemn white nationalism, Netanyahu is essentially denying that there is any white supremacist terrorism problem in the United States or the rest of the world — even though, allegedly, self-proclaimed white nationalist killers recently claimed the lives of 12 American Jewish worshipers and 50 Muslim worshipers in New Zealand.

Netanyahu’s refusal to acknowledge these statistics sends the message that the Israeli government doesn’t care about the real security threats facing Jews in the United States, and contributes to their further endangerment. In that sense, it is the flip side of the frequent refrain by some Israelis that American Jews don’t understand the severity of the security situation in Israel.

The reason behind it seems pretty transparent. After the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre, Netanyahu convened a cabinet meeting in which he spoke of the “new anti-Semitism” in Europe and “radical Islam” — two phenomena that played no role in the fatal shooting in Pittsburgh allegedly by a self-identified white nationalist who hated immigrants — but Netanyahu never once mentioned white nationalism.

The man arrested in the San Diego attack, who specifically said he was inspired by the Christchurch, New Zealand, shooting, is also under investigation for a mosque arson; his anti-Semitic ideology is equally Islamophobic.

But Netanyahu appears not to recognize the fact that Jews and Muslims are victims of the same hatred. It just doesn’t fit his narrative or his strategy.

continued

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Maybe because Netanyahu, as a Jew who is head of state of a country where millions of its citizens are descended from Holocaust victims, doesn't need to state the obvious that he condemns white supremacism?

sooda

Veteran Member
Maybe because Netanyahu, as a Jew who is head of state of a country where millions of its citizens are descended from Holocaust victims, doesn't need to state the obvious that he condemns white supremacism?

You have just bent yourself into a pretzel to defend Netanyahu.

Excerpt:

So Israel, which is supposed to be a safe haven for Jews and which assumes the mantle of combating and defeating anti-Semitism everywhere in the world, is refusing to recognize the existence of the most familiar and classic form of the problem.

And it’s doing nothing about a manifestation of white ethnic nationalism that is surging with great force in the United States, and whose victims are not only Jews but also the people Netanyahu portrays as Israel’s greatest enemy, Muslims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...ews-white-nationalism/?utm_term=.d29008ef0330

Netanyahu has positioned Israel in a place where it is politically and morally incapable of defending Jews against anti-Semitism, because he has defined it in misleadingly narrow terms.

The result is that U.S. Jews looking for comfort — and resolve to fight for their safety and way of life — now cannot find it in the Jewish state: a country whose whole existence is premised on being necessary for Jewish survival.

rosends

I think Bibi is wrong and I am of three minds. The most generous side of me wishes to believe that he is so blinded by his own country's existential threats that he doesn't think to name others.

The more cynical view I have is that he is making a point about labeling to show Americans how it feels when people label what one group thinks of as "terrorist" as anything but that. So American outlets which refer to "freedom fighters" or something else politically charged would feel the same smarts now that he doesn't use the apparently appropriate language.

Another cynical side sees it as a sucking up to the American government.

Lotsa sides, none of them particularly helpful.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Clown world math:

Israel's leadership decides to name settlement after an American politician in a show of appreciation
+
The U.S. politicians enemies have claimed and or intimated that he was literally Hitler for several years
=
Israel's leadership are obviously Nazi's

When you explain it like that it all makes sense.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Clown world math:

Israel's leadership decides to name settlement after an American politician in a show of appreciation
+
The U.S. politicians enemies have claimed and or intimated that he was literally Hitler for several years
=
Israel's leadership are obviously Nazi's

Dismissing and logical fallacies are non-responsive to the issue raised. "Clown"? give me a break. Nazis? You brought up nazis.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Netanyahoo is a white nationalist, hence the problem!!

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Netanyahoo is a white nationalist, hence the problem!!

b7e5ac541f133cafe8e909dbb8f9c1c1

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
He's probably about 85% Caucasian. that pretty much white where I come from!!

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is an excerpt from Washington Post.. I am sorry that many of you will not be able to read the whole thing. I broke down paragraphs for easier reading.

Israel’s prime minister is quick to call out threats from Muslims, though.

April 29
For the second time in six months, Jews have been gunned down, allegedly by a self-proclaimed white supremacist, in their house of worship on U.S. soil, just for being Jewish. And for the second time in six months, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has responded to the killing of American Jews, allegedly by a self-identified white supremacist, without calling out the alleged perpetrator or mentioning their right-wing white-supremacist ideology.

In his condemnation of the shooting at the Chabad synagogue in Poway, Calif., on Twitter, Netanyahu called the incident an attack on the “heart of the Jewish people,” but he followed that with a vague assertion that “the international community must step up its struggle against antisemitism.” He didn’t use the word “terrorist,” which he and other Israeli leaders and media reach for systematically to describe violent attacks in which the assailants are Muslim or Arab — even when the victims are not Jewish.

Netanyahu’s politics won’t allow him to explicitly condemn anti-Semitic ideology unless it manifests in explicitly Islamist ways. Anti-Semitism that doesn’t have anything to do with groups Netanyahu sees as enemies of Israel barely seems to move him at all.

Netanyahu is far more florid in his descriptions of threats that line up with his worldview. He’s called Palestinians and other Arabs “wild beasts” who seek to infiltrate Israel’s borders and has called the war with militant Islam a “struggle of civilizations.”

In February, after 80 Jewish graves were desecrated in France but no one was injured, Netanyahu’s response was more emphatic: He specifically called out the “wild antisemites” who committed the act and called it “a plague that endangers everyone, not just us.” Two Israelis who recently moved to California were among those injured in the Chabad synagogue attack, but Netanyahu still couldn’t muster up any specific outrage that condemns what is clearly a pattern of violence with a specific source.

Sooda, you do realize that I am a white nationalist, right? And I find the comments about me and my friends rather offensive.

sooda

Veteran Member
Sooda, you do realize that I am a white nationalist, right? And I find the comments about me and my friends rather offensive.

Are you really? I am white and my family has been in America since 1624 but I'm not a nationalist. I think nationalists are idiots.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Are you really? I am white and my family has been in America since 1624 but I'm not a nationalist. I think nationalists are idiots.

Why are nationalists idiots?

Here's why they're not; because in America, we are not a bunch of tiny seperate countries speaking seperate languages, competing for the same resources...

Nationalism is bad for Europeans only! That is their word. It's their problem.

...Essentially, when an American complains about nationalism, he is copying off European values that make no sense on this side of the Atlantic. The united States has it's own unique issues, and Nationalism is not one of them since we are not a bunch of teeny tiny countries sharing or competing with each other.

We are already united. We are united and they are not.

sooda

Veteran Member

Nationalism is inherently aggressive and expansionist.. often racist. Thanks for letting me know. I prefer patriots.