• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neophiles and Neophobes

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I was just wondering why so many people (primarily in the United States) insist on being proud of their ignorance? I have seen so many people who know how to speak and or write properly, but refuse to out of what they see as "ethnic pride", or pride of being from a particular geographic location, and then get upset when people sell them short, and think they are un-intelligent. And not just pride in ignorant-sounding speech, but often otherwise intelligent people refuse to accept new information, and prefer to let their mind stagnate. I think of myself as a neophile, in that I enjoy constantly learning new information, and experiencing new things. I think of people who avoid new experiences and ideas as neophobes. I would like to hear other peoples' take on this. Am I just being nit-picky?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I was just wondering why so many people (primarily in the United States) insist on being proud of their ignorance? I have seen so many people who know how to speak and or write properly, but refuse to out of what they see as "ethnic pride", or pride of being from a particular geographic location, and then get upset when people sell them short, and think they are un-intelligent. And not just pride in ignorant-sounding speech, but often otherwise intelligent people refuse to accept new information, and prefer to let their mind stagnate. I think of myself as a neophile, in that I enjoy constantly learning new information, and experiencing new things. I think of people who avoid new experiences and ideas as neophobes. I would like to hear other peoples' take on this. Am I just being nit-picky?

Why do you primarily mean us?

New experiences vary, depends if the experience feels good to them or not.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Depends on how precise we're applying these terms.

I'm from New Jersey but reside in Texas; I simply can't stand "y'all" but I find labeling the word an example of linguistic negligence or ignorance a bit much. Probably because I say "cwoffee" and "torn-a-ment."