• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neologisms Needed

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This to me varies by country. Who is counted as a patriot is different in the DPRK (North Korea) or China compared to the USA or Canada, for example.

Narrowing it down to the USA, a patriot to me is one who upholds the basic raison d'etre (reason for existence) of the US. That to me is defined by the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Great Seal, poem on the Statue of Liberty and other documents. It includes upholding honesty, honor, integrity and other virtues. They believe everyone has the right to vote and the presumption of innocence.

Others are "wolves in sheep's clothing" who say they are patriots but whose words and deeds deny the reason the US exists.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I needed "naytriot", having actively resisted the draft.
My home-town, Toronto, was home to a lot of draft dodgers back in the day. I knew quite a few, and like many of them. I didn't consider them unpatriotic at all, I considered them anti-war.

This is one of those areas, by the way, that leads us all into such confusion sometimes. I oppose the notion of the draft (or conscription, as we called it here). In the same way, although I would dearly love to see every Canadian get vaccinated against Covid-19, so we could beat this thing down, I also think that is governmental over-reach. Persuade, beg, offer rewards, whatever, but not coerce.

If a national government wishes to make war on another nation, but can't muster up enough troops to fight it for them, that seems to suggest that the nation itself isn't much interested in the war. And in wars that were forced upon us, both in the US and Canada and Britain (these are all I really know about), the volunteers were there in spades to defend their countries, so conscription wasn't really necessary. Hell, even underaged kids tried to get in (some managed). And the ones not fit to fight still volunteered and were sent off to do such other duties as they could perform.

So I, at least, find no case against you.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Can chipmunks be patriotic?

XKyl7t.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately there's been talk of "patriots" & "true patriots".
I don't know the difference....but it seems ominous.
But some of us aren't patriots. Not traitors either.
So.....
"Naytriot"

So fellow posters, what needed words do you see?

Balanced

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately there's been talk of "patriots" & "true patriots".
I don't know the difference....but it seems ominous.
But some of us aren't patriots. Not traitors either.
So.....
"Naytriot"

So fellow posters, what needed words do you see?

Oooh...based on your Iran thread, maybe 'contrarian'...lol

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Apricotic. Healthy, flavorful patriot.

Tabascotic. Spicy patriot. Muy caliente.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Try new Super Patriot.

It's got more sparkles.

Now with the power of oxygen to get the toughest stains out.