1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negative News Distorts Our Thinking

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Nakosis, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,883
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Watch, read, or listen to the news, and you’re likely to come away believing that the world is rapidly descending into disaster and chaos, even though many aspects of life have improved dramatically over the last few decades. Exposure to consistent, sensationalized pessimism and negativity has become the norm for those keeping up with the news.
    1. Negativity bias means that we can't turn negative news off.
    2. Availability bias means that after we see negativity, we overestimate its significance.
    3. Confirmation bias means that we will find evidence to support negativity.
    How Negative News Distorts Our Thinking

Sometimes I think it best not to watch the news at all, eh... for health reasons. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Religion:
    N/A
    Perhaps some people are not mentally strong enough to handle what they perceive, but luckily I am not one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli What's your stoyle?

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Consider yourself fortunate. I'm not ashamed to admit that viewing negativity brings me down. Perhaps I'm too susceptible to being influenced by my surroundings -it has it's advantages and it's disadvantages.

4. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,751
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Very true

Then why your quote below all your messages?
    This does not anger me. Perhaps "being mentally strong" is not the only key (or the quote might be random of course)

The more compassion and empathy you feel the better. Means the heart is open, which is needed to grow spiritually

#4 stvdv, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,481
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Reminds me of the couple people I've met who would use such an article to justify their foolish "information filters" and basically being scared of and reluctant to view certain information and/or sources.

6. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli What's your stoyle?

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Religion:
    Catholic
    You're a brave soul, Shadow.

I'm the type who literally turns away at the first sight of blood. I panic at the thought of having to have surgery one day. And with news, I prefer it to be the calm, relaxing nightly news and never the local news.

7. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,481
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I guess it's in taking in enough information to know that generally speaking, the news is reporting more crime and violence than ever before, and that is true their reporting of it has went up, but overall those things have went down. I've heard bad sources and misleading information should be avoided because we might confuse it for real news or add it to the task event when we recall it, which can happen, but if you ask 10 people who saw the same event you'd get at least several versions of the story with possible massive discrepancies happening in different versions. They aren't really lying in the traditional sense, but their recall is faulty.