• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negative feelings?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all!

How do you handle difficult emotions? Do you have an addiction or something like that to take the "edge" off the discomfort?

I personally am addicted to the hard-stuff - chocolate & ice-cream. Yet i am so hyper that I never put on weight - try not to be jealous :)

I suppose I ought to count my blessings - there are far worse things to be addicted to!

Anyways, I have been surfing again and found an interesting site & article -

Tal Ben Shahar — who taught the most popular class in Harvard’s history which was on Happiness — famously says that only two types of people never experience negative emotions — psychopaths and dead people. He has also shared a number of paradoxical strategies to embrace and accept negative emotions and improve your happiness.

Emotional perfectionism — or the idea that you should always be in positive emotional states — can cause some serious problems — and worsen the experience of going through negative emotions. Cultivating self compassion and a more realistic perspective that negative emotions are inevitable and natural helps tremendously (more on Emotional Perfectionism and Self Compassion in minute).

To feed the full article -

Research Reveals How To Deal With Negative Emotions

Not awfully certain but I think I needed at one stage to give them my email address so if you can't access the article for some reason it is up to you if you wish to reveal your email to them. I do receive an email once a day and they are usually quite interesting and based on your likes & dislikes.

All the best!

PS If you can't access the page and want to read more about self compassion, try this site -

The Power of Self-Compassion

Or you could attend Harvard and take the course :)

Cheers!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay ... I am not entirely sure what you are saying but I do live in Australia and I don't drink anything harder than green tea& mint :)

Cheers!
It’s a meme response. Basically the stereotype of an Aussie is a drunken mess. I’m just joking around with that stereotype.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It’s a meme response. Basically the stereotype of an Aussie is a drunken mess. I’m just joking around with that stereotype.

Thanks for the clarification. I enjoy a good laugh most of the time! Your typical aussie male worships sport and hates deep-and-menaingful discussions.

So I am atypical in a big way but I try not to be tooo hard on people who make different choices in their behaviour & lifestyle.

I am reminded of a quote:

"All generalisations are misleading - including this one"

:)