• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needlephobia?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Ok, so tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment at 2, and for most people that wouldn't be a big deal. However, I am belonephobic, basically meaning I have a completely irrational fear of needles, injections, etc. I'm already in panic mode right now, because just thinking about getting my meningitis shot and having blood drawn makes me feel sick to my stomach. Usually during the actual procedures, it's a bit hard for me to breathe, and I get insanely panicky. Then when it's over, the room starts spinning, I see spots and bright lights, I have hot flashes, and it's hard for me to not let myself pass out. Then I'm flat on my back in bed for the next few days or so. Even when I got my ears pierced, I remember having the same feelings. My parents and my doctor all think i'm incredibly wimpy, and I guess I am (can't believe I'm broadcasting the fact that I'm afraid to get a stinkin' shot online), but I was wondering if anyone had ANY ideas about ANYTHING that would help me relax and get through this without a full-blown panic attack in front on of my doctor and my mother, and then making myself sick afterwards? I know this is pathetic, but any help would really be appreciated. :help::sad4:

Draka

Wonder Woman
This was a bit difficult for me to think about as I have no problems with needles, but here are a few suggestions from my man (who is afraid of needles) and me.

He says to not look at the needles at all. Do not look or pay any attention to them first off. Then to think of something to take your mind off what is about to happen. I suggest a calming place or event. Something to give you the "Calgon Take Me Away" mood.

Now, when I had a large cyst on my tailbone I had to have several shots of local anesthetic, one that accidentally ended up IN the cyst, and they didn't quite numb the pain anyway. Then they had to lance into my back to the cyst. All this was quite painful and I did the only thing I could to take my mind off of it. I hummed. I hummed the one thing I knew of that you cannot hum nor sing and be afraid. The Marine Corp Hymn. Sounds weird I'm sure, but I was in the military at the time and had it in my mind that you just cannot be afraid or weak to pain when concentrating on Marines. :D

when all else fails...think of a hottie, close your eyes and dream ;)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
It's not pathetic. Phobias are a real, diagnosable problem.

Some family members of mine have aversions to needles. What they do is explain their conditions to the doctors and ask for something large enough to bite down on. Perhaps go that route?

Good luck! You'll survive!

Booko

Deviled Hen
This may not help much for this time, but knowing some relaxation or meditation techniques and being able to drop into a relaxed state so easily you don't actually think about it is a great help.

I use the Lamaze breathing techniques I learned for childbirth when I'm in situations like this. You stare at something for a focal point (I'm find with a speck on the ceiling or something like that, but others use a picture), then I do patterned breathing, and if it's something really worrisom, there's a phrase Baha'is use that you can repeat like it's a mantra. Also, there's a very short prayer for "detachment" which is right handy.

Some combination of these may help you in the future.

For the short run -- pick something to stare at in the room and keep your breathing slow and rhytmical. That's all I can suggest for now, sorry. :(

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
This was a bit difficult for me to think about as I have no problems with needles, but here are a few suggestions from my man (who is afraid of needles) and me.

He says to not look at the needles at all. Do not look or pay any attention to them first off. Then to think of something to take your mind off what is about to happen. I suggest a calming place or event. Something to give you the "Calgon Take Me Away" mood.

Now, when I had a large cyst on my tailbone I had to have several shots of local anesthetic, one that accidentally ended up IN the cyst, and they didn't quite numb the pain anyway. Then they had to lance into my back to the cyst. All this was quite painful and I did the only thing I could to take my mind off of it. I hummed. I hummed the one thing I knew of that you cannot hum nor sing and be afraid. The Marine Corp Hymn. Sounds weird I'm sure, but I was in the military at the time and had it in my mind that you just cannot be afraid or weak to pain when concentrating on Marines. :D

when all else fails...think of a hottie, close your eyes and dream ;)

Thanks. For me, it's really hard to ignore the shot completely, but I think thinking about the mountains might help. That's very calming to me. Hottie idea might work too...:cloud9: I'm thinking about taking my iPod as well, and ask my doctor if I can listen to music while I'm getting my meningitis shot and having blood drawn. Nothing like THREE YEARS HOLLOW and *Brokenfall* to make you relaxed. :rolleyes:

Draka

Wonder Woman
You know what I have never understood? I have known several peopple who are afraid of needles. Would near climb walls and need someone to hold them down while getting shots. Yet every one I have known also has...tattoos! I just don't get it.:no: :areyoucra

Booko

Deviled Hen
All this was quite painful and I did the only thing I could to take my mind off of it. I hummed. I hummed the one thing I knew of that you cannot hum nor sing and be afraid. The Marine Corp Hymn. Sounds weird I'm sure, but I was in the military at the time and had it in my mind that you just cannot be afraid or weak to pain when concentrating on Marines. :D

Oh, not weird at all, Draka. Last time I was at the dentist he got an earful of "Lacrimosa" from Mozart's Requiem. :D

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
It's not pathetic. Phobias are a real, diagnosable problem.

Some family members of mine have aversions to needles. What they do is explain their conditions to the doctors and ask for something large enough to bite down on. Perhaps go that route?

Good luck! You'll survive!

I've tried talking to my doctor about it, but she usually just brushes or laughs it off. Maybe if I brought in a stick to bite down on she would realize I'm serious? :D

This may not help much for this time, but knowing some relaxation or meditation techniques and being able to drop into a relaxed state so easily you don't actually think about it is a great help.

I use the Lamaze breathing techniques I learned for childbirth when I'm in situations like this. You stare at something for a focal point (I'm find with a speck on the ceiling or something like that, but others use a picture), then I do patterned breathing, and if it's something really worrisom, there's a phrase Baha'is use that you can repeat like it's a mantra. Also, there's a very short prayer for "detachment" which is right handy.

Some combination of these may help you in the future.

For the short run -- pick something to stare at in the room and keep your breathing slow and rhytmical. That's all I can suggest for now, sorry. :(

Actually, that's quite helpful. I've practiced some meditation techniques in the past, and while I'm not very adept at it, the techniques may help me be relaxed tomorrow (if I'm still in my right mind enough to remember what to do!). Especially the slow and rhythmic breathing.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've tried talking to my doctor about it, but she usually just brushes or laughs it off. Maybe if I brought in a stick to bite down on she would realize I'm serious? :D

Tim (Turk/my man) says that if your doctor responds that way to a fear or concern of yours, then it's time to find a new doctor.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Tim (Turk/my man) says that if your doctor responds that way to a fear or concern of yours, then it's time to find a new doctor.

I've felt the exact same way for going on 4 years now. Unfortunately, my mom loves my doctor. Sometimes I hate being underage. :sarcastic Nevermind, I always hate being underage.

TurtleGirl

Not a Member
... but I was wondering if anyone had ANY ideas about ANYTHING that would help me relax and get through this without a full-blown panic attack in front on of my doctor and my mother, and then making myself sick afterwards?

Sorry I can't help, but I'm the same way. :(

I have quite a bit of experience with needles, what with being a hemophiliac and all...truth be told, I looked away every time until I was 14, when I started doing my shots myself. The first time I did it myself I was pretty frightened. You'll be okay. ;)Other people have offered some great advice though, I think. Good luck, and just remember: you're going to be OKAY!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Uh, what Gene said. :)

A VERY good meditation technique is to count your breaths, especially when you're beginning to concentrate on the act itself and your breathing starts to become more rapid. LOL Something to distract you from the thoughts that bring you into your phobic state of mind is a very useful technique.

See, here you have this little Buddhist woman (me) who has been practicing this meditation stuff for years, and I'm still afraid of balloons. I get near-panicky when birthday parties come up, seeing balloons everywhere. And my whole family just loves popping them!

Those creeps.

I usually resort to counting my breaths in those situations to help me cope, because otherwise I just might embarrass myself and turn into a shaky and sobbing mess. My breaths usually are REALLY quick in the beginning when I'm peaking in my phobic state, but the more I keep my focus squarely on counting, it nearly always helps me to calm down to where I can keep my dignity.

Most people are actually surprised that I'm still afraid of balloons since I don't outward show signs............normally. But in reality I have a paralyzing fear of 'em.

And trust me, fear of needles is far more common than a fear of balloons. So, you're not as weird as me if it makes ya feel any better. ;)

Peace,
Mystic

Buttercup

Veteran Member
If something is making me nervous to the point of anxiety, I try to break the whole issue down of why I'm scared.

Are you afraid of the pain?

If so, it will last only seconds. Tell yourself firmly it's not worth getting all worked up over an event that lasts only seconds. Every time you start to obsess about it....distract yourself and say at the same time, "I DO NOT want to think about this now". And then don't! Do something else.

Not sure if that will help but maybe you'll try it. Let us know how it goes for you! :)

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Uh, what Gene said. :)

A VERY good meditation technique is to count your breaths, especially when you're beginning to concentrate on the act itself and your breathing starts to become more rapid. LOL Something to distract you from the thoughts that bring you into your phobic state of mind is a very useful technique.

See, here you have this little Buddhist woman (me) who has been practicing this meditation stuff for years, and I'm still afraid of balloons. I get near-panicky when birthday parties come up, seeing balloons everywhere. And my whole family just loves popping them!

Those creeps.

I usually resort to counting my breaths in those situations to help me cope, because otherwise I just might embarrass myself and turn into a shaky and sobbing mess. My breaths usually are REALLY quick in the beginning when I'm peaking in my phobic state, but the more I keep my focus squarely on counting, it nearly always helps me to calm down to where I can keep my dignity.

Most people are actually surprised that I'm still afraid of balloons since I don't outward show signs............normally. But in reality I have a paralyzing fear of 'em.

And trust me, fear of needles is far more common than a fear of balloons. So, you're not as weird as me if it makes ya feel any better. ;)

Peace,
Mystic

Yes, but you're not the only one either. Behold:

Globophobia: Defined as "a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of balloons", each year this surprisingly common phobia causes countless people needless distress.
Counting my breaths sounds like a good idea. Anything to take my mind off the act.

If something is making me nervous to the point of anxiety, I try to break the whole issue down of why I'm scared.

Are you afraid of the pain?

If so, it will last only seconds. Tell yourself firmly it's not worth getting all worked up over an event that lasts only seconds. Every time you start to obsess about it....distract yourself and say at the same time, "I DO NOT want to think about this now". And then don't! Do something else.

Not sure if that will help but maybe you'll try it. Let us know how it goes for you! :)

It's not so much the pain of the shot, though I have noticed that shots that seem next-to-painless for most people end up being very painful for me. Maybe it's all in my head or something, but my brother barely flinched when he got his flu shot and didn't suffer from any pain afterward, and I felt like I had a bad bruise on my arm for the next few days.

What I really fear is what I know will come afterwards, the dizziness, nausea, etc. It's probably one of the worst feelings in the world to feel like you're going to pass out and puke at the same time, all while the entire room is spinning around you. But I know if I could just get over the fear of all that happening, it probably won't happen at all. :shrug: So I'm kinda stuck.

Thanks again everybody, for all your help. I'm sure I'll at least be more relaxed tomorrow, and my mom and I plan on discussing with my doctor seriously the effects I have from taking shots. We know there are certain topical ointments that will numb the skin and stuff temporarily that I could use in the future, if not tomorrow. In any case, I feel better knowing that I have at least some semblance of a plan!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What I really fear is what I know will come afterwards, the dizziness, nausea, etc. It's probably one of the worst feelings in the world to feel like you're going to pass out and puke at the same time, all while the entire room is spinning around you. But I know if I could just get over the fear of all that happening, it probably won't happen at all. :shrug: So I'm kinda stuck.
Sounds to me like the dizziness and nausea are affects from the anxiety....I bet your heart beat and blood pressure rise just before you get the shot and you might even hold your breath for a bit....all from the anxiety. All that can make you feel dizzy and nauseous afterward.

Again, tell yourself firmly that it's not a big deal and that the whole event will be over quickly. Think about any fun things you will do tomorrow after the doctor's visit and concentrate on that while you're in the office. If you can take someone with you I'd do that. Have them talk to you constantly to keep your mind off of it.

You can do it! :) Good luck!

Ðanisty

Ok, so tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment at 2, and for most people that wouldn't be a big deal. However, I am belonephobic, basically meaning I have a completely irrational fear of needles, injections, etc. I'm already in panic mode right now, because just thinking about getting my meningitis shot and having blood drawn makes me feel sick to my stomach. Usually during the actual procedures, it's a bit hard for me to breathe, and I get insanely panicky. Then when it's over, the room starts spinning, I see spots and bright lights, I have hot flashes, and it's hard for me to not let myself pass out. Then I'm flat on my back in bed for the next few days or so. Even when I got my ears pierced, I remember having the same feelings. My parents and my doctor all think i'm incredibly wimpy, and I guess I am (can't believe I'm broadcasting the fact that I'm afraid to get a stinkin' shot online), but I was wondering if anyone had ANY ideas about ANYTHING that would help me relax and get through this without a full-blown panic attack in front on of my doctor and my mother, and then making myself sick afterwards? I know this is pathetic, but any help would really be appreciated.
There is nothing pathetic about a phobia. I have a phobia of tornadoes. I used to be the same way you are about having my blood drawn. Honestly, what got me past it was having to have it done every 2 weeks. I was on a special diet and my doctor required it. I dreaded it, but by the time I was done with the diet, I had learned to cope with it.

As an alternative if this doesn't work, I suggest looking at the needles. Watch everything the doctors and nurses do. I know a lot of people with phobias have found that knowing everything about the thing that makes them phobic actually helps them. For instance, I've watched every documentary on tornadoes that's been shown on television for the last 15 years. It makes me more comfortable to know everything I can possibly know. It gives you a sense of control. In fact I'm like this with nearly everything. I can't believe I'm about to talk about this, but when I had 4 of my toenails completely and permanently removed, I watched the entire procedure. It helped me to know what the doctor was going to do and when.

You know what I have never understood? I have known several peopple who are afraid of needles. Would near climb walls and need someone to hold them down while getting shots. Yet every one I have known also has...tattoos! I just don't get it.:no: :areyoucra
First of all, I want to say that getting a tattoo feels nothing like getting pierced with a needle. Plus, unless you look at just the needle bar, tattoo needles aren't really even visible. I think the machine surrounding the needles takes away the fear for some people. What's stranger than this is that I've known piercers that have a phobia of needles. :cover:

I agree.

Thanks again everybody, for all your help. I'm sure I'll at least be more relaxed tomorrow, and my mom and I plan on discussing with my doctor seriously the effects I have from taking shots. We know there are certain topical ointments that will numb the skin and stuff temporarily that I could use in the future, if not tomorrow. In any case, I feel better knowing that I have at least some semblance of a plan!
I used to see this all the time when I worked as a tattoo artist. You're getting yourself worked up over it. You get sick because you expect to get sick. It's a hard thing to overcome. I agree that your best bet is meditation. Find a good mantra. I use these because I'm a geek:

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
My advice.
Before the injections, close your eyes, take two or three deep breathes, and clear your mind. Open you eyes, and focus all of your intentions on the space in front of you, such as a wall, picture, particular brick in the wall, etc., while keeping a steady pace of deep breathes until the needle is removed. It will take practice, and you likly won't have it down on your first attempt.

Allthough I don't have much more advice for dealing with the phobia itself head on. I am covered with tattoos and have several piercings, so having a needle puncture my skin is something I have come to enjoy, even recieving a since of pleasure from it.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma

You know it's odd, I'm the same. Give me a tattooist or a piercer any day and I'm fine. Take me to a dentist or a doctor though and its a totally different story lol. I don't get it either lol.