• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Your Help! How Does Thread X Further the Forum Mission?

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• The Thread furthers the Forum Mission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Thread detracts from the Forum Mission

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • The Thread neither furthers nor detracts from the Forum Mission

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would like your opinion on how and why a certain thread posted earlier today promotes, encourages, or otherwise furthers the RF Forum Mission?

I am not interested in any criticism or condemnation of the thread and will pay no attention to any that are offered. But I am very interested in a way or ways that the thread promotes, encourages or otherwise furthers the RF Forum Mission. Does it or doesn't it? If so, how? And if not, why not?

Please Note: Myself and the Staff of RF are interested in your views in order to help guide and assist us in making decisions about the Forum that will increase its value to you, the members. Thank you for your input.

THE RF FORUM MISSION​

"As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

THE TITLE AND OP OF THREAD X​

"Trump is not an ***-kisser and that's why many don't like him. If you like an ***-kisser, Trump is not your man."

Again, please reserve any criticism or condemnation of the thread for thread itself. Such views are not relevant here.

Please Note: If the none of the poll questions suites you, please accept the fact the poll is not for you and move on.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
it stretches the limits, but it seems to me that many threads stretch the limits.

It's not erudite, but it does get to an interesting claim about this incredibly powerful and divisive man.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
it stretches the limits, but it seems to me that many threads stretch the limits.

It's not erudite, but it does get to an interesting claim about this incredibly powerful and divisive man.

But does that further the Forum Mission?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
My feeling is that it's pretty much clickbait..."here's something that will get peoples' blood going!" I don't really see it as 'furthering' any sort of community or dialog, etc.

My opinion, others' mileage may vary.

icehorse

Premium Member

Ah interesting. I guess I've also assumed that since there are forums devoted to non-religious topics, the mission would also apply to those topics implicitly.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ah interesting. I guess I've also assumed that since there are forums devoted to non-religious topics, the mission would also apply to those topics implicitly.

Do I understand you to be saying the thread furthers the Forum Mission? By the way, I'm not interested in debating you. Just understanding what you think.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I would like your opinion on how and why a certain thread posted earlier today promotes, encourages, or otherwise furthers the RF Forum Mission?

I am not interested in any criticism or condemnation of the thread and will pay no attention to any that are offered. But I am very interested in a way or ways that the thread promotes, encourages or otherwise furthers the RF Forum Mission. Does it or doesn't it? If so, how? And if not, why not?

THE RF FORUM MISSION​

"As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

THE TITLE AND OP OF THREAD X​

"Trump is not an ***-kisser and that's why many don't like him. If you like an ***-kisser, Trump is not your man."

Again, please reserve any criticism or condemnation of the thread for thread itself. Such views are not relevant here.
I would suggest, despite my dislike for Trump, that creating a thread that is perceived as praising or criticizing Trump, or any other politician, demonstrates we are in a place where it is okay to do so. Supporting or attacking your favorite or least favorite politician sports team, philosophers etc is indeed one of the many threads of fellowship.

Allowing people to connect or even argue about such facets of society and in their life can foster bonds of fellowship. Perhaps you love x, and i love x. You share your love and support of x and even though you are part of religion a and i am part of religion b we both realize we have mutual ground on which to connect. This means we might be less likely to see each other as an other, instead we may view each other in light of these similarities.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I rarely give you guys enough credit, but Sunstone, you and Debater Slayer have created threads today, one of them this one, that kind of really lays out what we're to talk about or vote on, and on pretty detailed subjects. I see this sharing and descriptiveness today regarding the forum as almost like the makings of a limited "peer feedback" judgement system, which would be something so advanced, I have never seen it done on a forum... if continued.

Or maybe I am just rambling here.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I rarely give you guys enough credit, but Sunstone, you and Debater Slayer have created threads today, one of them this one, that kind of really lays out what we're to talk about or vote on, and on pretty detailed subjects. I see this sharing and descriptiveness today regarding the forum as almost like the makings of a limited "peer feedback" judgement system, which would be something so advanced, I have never seen it done on a forum... if continued.

Or maybe I am just rambling here.

Thank you! That's very encouraging. Debater Slayer and I are both gathering information to help us make decisions in our capacity as administrators.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
THE RF FORUM MISSION​

Seems to me, based upon the mission statement, any thread not about religion does not further the mission statement...

So I would ask, does every thread have to further the mission statement?

My opinion is that the forum should not be solely about furthering the discussion, comparing, and debating religion.

Don't get me wrong.
I do believe that threads which conflict with the mission statement should be addressed.
However, with the mission statement specifying "religion"...

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
it is crude. I'm sure there is a better way to make the garbage claim.

it is an effort to insult those who are opposed to Trump.

Like he might say such and such doesn't grovel nor suck up to people whereas other opposition do.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Seems to me, based upon the mission statement, any thread not about religion does not further the mission statement...

Thank you! Would your statement in any way change if you were asked to address the spirit of the Mission Statement, rather than the letter of it? That is, apply it to all sorts of threads and not just to religious threads?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
it is crude. I'm sure there is a better way to make the garbage claim.

it is an effort to insult those who are opposed to Trump.

Like he might say such and such doesn't grovel nor suck up to people whereas other opposition do.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Thank you! Would your statement in any way change if you were asked to address the spirit of the Mission Statement, rather than the letter of it? That is, apply it to all sorts of threads and not just to religious threads?
If by "spirit" of the mission statement you mean to include topics other than religion, I will have to say the thread pointed to in the OP does not advance the "civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming" part in any way, shape, or form.

In my opinion, the title and the OP both are nothing more than a blatant attack on a specific group with no noticeable goal other than to illicit retaliation.

icehorse

Premium Member
Do I understand you to be saying the thread furthers the Forum Mission? By the way, I'm not interested in debating you. Just understanding what you think.

Here's the mission again:

THE RF FORUM MISSION

I've bolded the word "religion" in the mission statement. My sense is that - in practice - we often substitute a different word in its stead: philosophy, politics. and so on. So in this case the implied mission (to me), would be "...compare and debate politics while engaging..."

So I guess I'm asking you whether you think such substitutions - in general - can further the mission?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So I guess I'm asking you whether you think such substitutions - in general - can further the mission?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would my opinion matter here? The purpose of this thread is to get feedback from members that might help the Staff make decisions in the coming months. The purpose is not for me to express my views.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Perhaps I'm taking it too lightly. It doesn't!

I may have developed an immunity to insults. And I just dismiss it passively with a few grumbles.

I don't want to do away with negative claims though. Strongly held negative claims keeps the forum honest.

If someone told me I was gullible I would not have a problem with that.

But if someone told me I am an a** kisser I would say that detracts.

Civil language making the same claim I would say neither promotes nor detracts from the Forum mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.