• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Suggestion

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
In Hinduism every deity has some characteristics that makes them different from others. As in past I never worshiped any deity so all were equal for me, but soon I felt that I should choose one deity as my Istha. I read about different deities and I found one (but the criteria I applied was wrong :( ). I started worshiping the deity (not daily) and I got some good results. I tried to be a good devotee, but failed. I never felt attracted to that deity but soon I discovered different deity and day by day my attraction grew for that deity (However I never prayed second one). Now today even if I pray previous deity, an Image of 2nd deity is formed in my mind. So what should I do now?? Should I make the second deity as my Istha and pray the first deity occasionally?? Is this a honest act to leave first deity??

Me Myself

Back to my username
Ask the first deity. Keep an open hear, tell the deity all you feel and ask which is the best way and how to follow it. Thank the deity for the help it has given you too.

Remember that this deities have way wider understanding than (at least) the conscious you and will look at you with great compassion and bigger understanding :)

Blessings :namaste

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste,

They say any deity you worship will eventually lead to your ishta. It is great that you have formed such a strong bondage with the second deity. IMO, your first deity is leading you to the second deity who could very well be your ishta.

Pranam.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In Hinduism every deity has some characteristics that makes them different from others. As in past I never worshiped any deity so all were equal for me, but soon I felt that I should choose one deity as my Istha. I read about different deities and I found one (but the criteria I applied was wrong :( ). I started worshiping the deity (not daily) and I got some good results. I tried to be a good devotee, but failed. I never felt attracted to that deity but soon I discovered different deity and day by day my attraction grew for that deity (However I never prayed second one). Now today even if I pray previous deity, an Image of 2nd deity is formed in my mind. So what should I do now?? Should I make the second deity as my Istha and pray the first deity occasionally?? Is this a honest act to leave first deity??

Ishta is a concept found in the Smarta Sampradaya only. In Saivism, Vaishnavism, and Saktism, there is no real concept of ishta. Maybe you're not a Smarta.

For an example,I don't have an ishta. I'm a Saivite. I didn't choose.

Ganesha is the first deity almost all Hindus (probably excluding Vaishnavites) encounter first. He then helps with such things. So my first suggestion is to discover what you think, maybe about some other stuff, too. This may help with sect. It'll be easier if you're not a Smarta, yet far less important if you are, as Smartas are quite comfortable worshipping any deity.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ishta is a concept found in the Smarta Sampradaya only. In Saivism, Vaishnavism, and Saktism, there is no real concept of ishta. Maybe you're not a Smarta.

For an example,I don't have an ishta. I'm a Saivite. I didn't choose.

I'd disagree for the reason that Vishnu and Devi do take many forms, and one can be drawn to one of those forms in particular. Some Vaishnavas are drawn to Krishna, some to Rama, some to Narasimha as the primary manifestation. I find myself particularly drawn to Krishna and Narasimha, only marginally to Rama, yet he is as much Vishnu. Some Shaktis might be drawn to the aspects of Kali or to Durga.

Even in denominations that focus on a singular concept of God, such as Vaishnavism, the ishta deva concept exists. For example, in Vaishnavism, special focus is given to a particular form of Vishnu or one of his Avatars (i.e. Krishna or Rama), and similarly within Shaktism, focus is given to a particular form of the Goddess such as Parvati or Lakshmi. Iṣṭa-devatā

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'd disagree for the reason that Vishnu and Devi do take many forms, and one can be drawn to one of those forms in particular. Some Vaishnavas are drawn to Krishna, some to Rama, some to Narasimha as the primary manifestation. I find myself particularly drawn to Krishna and Narasimha, only marginally to Rama, yet he is as much Vishnu. Some Shaktis might be drawn to the aspects of Kali or to Durga.

And there are a great many who worship Vishnu, as in South India.

You're right but not to the same extent as in Smarta. In Vaishnavism, Saktism, or Saivism, you do get attracted to a different version of the SAME god. In Smarta, it's a different God, although Smartas themselves may not believe it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In Smarta, it's a different God, although Smartas themselves may not believe it.

That's true. When I pray to Lord Narasimha, I'm praying to Lord Vishnu wearing a different outfit, if you will, and showing a different side of himself, but he's still Lord Vishnu. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind Smarta, except to allay people's fears or concerns that it's OK to worship God as you see him/her

Kalidas

O can't remember who on here said it but I like it. They said when you worship one deity with devotion you worship God (including all her/his forms) but if you worship them all shallowly you worship God shallowly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's true. When I pray to Lord Narasimha, I'm praying to Lord Vishnu wearing a different outfit, if you will, and showing a different side of himself, but he's still Lord Vishnu. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind Smarta, except to allay people's fears or concerns that it's OK to worship God as you see him/her

The only God I actually pray to very much is Ganesha. Siva, I just feel, and Murugan's role is way beyond where I'm at, although I have done penance to him for future reasons.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram sumit ji :namaste

In Hinduism every deity has some characteristics that makes them different from others. As in past I never worshiped any deity so all were equal for me, but soon I felt that I should choose one deity as my Istha. I read about different deities and I found one (but the criteria I applied was wrong :( ).

please do not worry to much about it the deity will choose you :namaste

and sometimes will test you a little but this way you will find your correct place in time .

I started worshiping the deity (not daily) and I got some good results. I tried to be a good devotee, but failed.

again please do not worry too much we all fail , it is failure tha gives us the resolve to learn and progress . it is those that do not recognise failure tha need to worry .

I never felt attracted to that deity but soon I discovered different deity and day by day my attraction grew for that deity (However I never prayed second one). Now today even if I pray previous deity, an Image of 2nd deity is formed in my mind. So what should I do now?? Should I make the second deity as my Istha and pray the first deity occasionally?? Is this a honest act to leave first deity??

I would say do not be too quick deciding this or that to be your deity just pray to find your way and it will reveal it self in time ,

namaskaram :namaste

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
In Jyotish, the concept of Ishta devata plays a very important role. Many aspirants seek solutions from expert Jyotishis regarding their ishta devata who a Jyotishi ascertains by looking at some planetary positions (12 from Atmakaraka in Navamsa). I have seen many Jyotishis such as the famous Pt. Sanjay Rath and jyotishi Sri A.M.Rajagopalan (of Tamil Nadu, India) recommend their clients/troubled people to worship Ishta devata with vigor. Also Pt Sanjay Rath and the jyotishis of his organization (SJC) all say that one can worship any deity, but upon regular practice, that deity will eventually lead the person to his ishta devata.

Hello Sumit,

After studying and understanding hinduism deeply, I would recommend worship by heart (in heart aatma resides - Bhagwad Gita) any one of the deities with supreme faith, but be even minded in faith among all the deities by heart and divine knowledge. since they all are actually same.

e.g. If I worshiped yesterday Bhagwan Vishnu, today I worship Bhagwan Ganesh and tomorrow I will worship Bhagwan Shiva. I won't feel any gap, guilty or dishonesty ! Because by my heart and divine knowledge I consider them same.

In deep in various Puranas, Vedas, Scriptures, Bhagwad Gita, Mahabharat, Ramayan, MahaBhagwad Puran, I found that all the deities are actually one.

So as written in Bhagwad gita leave material desire, keep control over your mind and by heart worship god with supreme faith (keep no space in your heart for doubts), consider god the lord of every world and well wisher of every beings.

Truly there is in this world nothing so purifying as knowledge.- (Bhagvad Gita [4.38])