• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Liquor Help!

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Quality across the board is the rule in my book. If it's not top shelf I don't bother with it. I already did my time drinking bottom shelf in college.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For scotches, I tend to prefer the peaty stuff: Laphroigh, Caol Ila, Ardbeg. Those are probably not for beginners, though.
And probably overkill for someone just looking to get drunk.

For scotches, my favourite is Lagavulin, though I like a good range - I enjoy anything from Dalwhinnie to Highland Park to Ardbeg and even a Johnnie Walker Black can be nice.

... though when I was doing shots in university, it was mostly just Canadian Club.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
My friend is getting us some liquor to celebrate a specific occasion together in a few days. We're planning to get drunk and have set up the place for it.

This is my first time having any alcoholic beverage except for beer, so I don't know how the three choices we have compare to each other. They are

1) Chivas Regal

2) Jack Daniel's

3) Hennessy.

Which would you recommend? And based on your experience, what should one expect from each of those three?

#3 = Barf city. Beyond that severely overpriced.

#2 = Classic, but not the best. Special occasions = $20+. Makers Mark (smooth, available everywhere), Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, etc, Smooth = fun not sick.

#3) Chivas Regal tries to be a scotch, but it is whatever. Buy a bottle of Balvenie, Aberlour, or save a buck or two and get Glenfiddich. All of which are _way_ better in all ways. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The real blasphemers here are putting other drinks into their whiskey.
The best way to drink whisky is whatever way you most enjoy it.

If that means mixing your Port Ellen with ginger ale and having it on the rocks, so be it. It’s not my choice, but if that’s what someone loves, it’s fine by me.

Earthling

David Henson
My favorite was either Yukon Jack, which is a 100 proof whiskey with a caramel flavoring to it. I think they used to use caramel but changed to something else that wasn't quite as good IMO, but still much easier to drink unmixed. Some people add jolly ranchers in the bottle to sweeten it up further. It doesn't have that bitter awful taste that whiskey typically has. I would also drink Dark Eyes 100 proof vodka, especially mixing it with cranberry, orange or grapefruit juice. But I also used to drink that straight out of the bottle.

Now, I wouldn't recommend any of that, but, if you are legal age and responsible, or at least if you are going to get blotto make arrangements for a sober driver or to remain in a safe place until sober. Don't end up in jail, killing or seriously injuring someone or yourself.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
The best way to drink whisky is whatever way you most enjoy it.

If that means mixing your Port Ellen with ginger ale and having it on the rocks, so be it. It’s not my choice, but if that’s what someone loves, it’s fine by me.
i reserve the right to judge you animals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Getting drunk is bad goal.
But most of us can't know that until we've done it.
Once was enuf for me.
Tis the unpleasant fate of young'ns.

jeanie

tastings are great to sample liquors so you know what you like. There are too many options to just pick one!
Check a liquor store event calendar near you.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
All three will give you an equally bad hangover, Imo asbach or courvoisier are more mellow and easy to drink.

Jack Daniels is OK but can turn a mild mannered Clarke Kent into a feisty pain in the arse.

Imo a good tequila will do the job, avoid mixers as they can be sickly after a while, eat a good meal first, enjoy.