• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

need help

may

looking for anything in the NT about addiction...how its bad..anything..thanks guys really appreciate it
Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God’s fear.2 corinthians 7;1 not quite sure what you are looking for, but as an example , smoking would be a defilement of our flesh ,so according to this verse it would be good to give it up
Nicotine defiles the flesh quite literally
and as the following verse says
(Romans 12:1) Consequently I entreat YOU by the compassions of God, brothers, to present YOUR bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with YOUR power of reason.
The power of reason dictates that smoking is harmful and against Christian principles. There, then, is the primary motivation to quit smoking if one wants to please God. and that could apply to other things that defile us .

may

may, where is the first part of that from "therefore, since we have these...." ?
thank you so much
it just depends on which translation you use , here is another translation it says DEAR FRIENDS instead of beloved ones but it means the same thing it is talking to christians
2 Corinthians 7

Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.NIV

JayHawes

Ro 7:15For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.Ro 7:16If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.Ro 7:17But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.Ro 7:18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.Ro 7:19For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.

That which you can't help doing is an Addiction.
Addiction takes many forms, all the sins that follow are things practiced, people are addicted to them.
Ga 5:19Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,Ga 5:20idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,Ga 5:21envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

joeboonda

John 8:34
Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Romans 6
11Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 7

14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Basically to triumph over addiction we must trust God that He can set us free of any sin or bondage and by faith step up and come against it. Like smoking, you have to decide to quit, write down why you want to quit, put it on your mirror, decide on a quit day, get patches, gum, etc., if needed, and go for it. As you trust God and put forth the effort, He will help you to overcome. This does not mean we will live in sinless perfection, but we can knock down some of the giants in our lives, some of Satan's beachheads that have become strongholds. Do not confuse any of this with salvation, that is a free gift given to us the moment we trusted Christ, this is our walk, our growing in grace from glory to glory.
Peace and Love,
Mike