• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with this poetry

Cooky

Veteran Member
This song was written by the poet Robert Hunter, and was played by Jerry Garcia. I've known this song for years, and clearly Annie is dead.. No question about that.

...But the odd twist is something that has struck me -is the narrator also dead?

Did he remain by her side until he was also dead? If so, what do you suppose the allegorical meaning could be of this?

Cooky

Veteran Member
36003843765_c64585b7dd_b.jpg
"One pane of glass in the window" seems kind of...spooky.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Annie is dead.. No question about that.
I don't know....

It sounds to me like the image of Annie laying in the roses happened in the past. And then time passes and Annie's ribbons are faded but still alive. That's the sequence as I'm reading it. The conclusion, in my mind's eye, is that Annie was laying in rose petals, alive, and lovely in the past.
...But the odd twist is something that has struck me -is the narrator also dead?
Wow, that is a very cool idea. It adds another dimension to it.
Did he remain by her side until he was also dead? If so, what do you suppose the allegorical meaning could be of this?
Before considering the idea that the narrator is also dead, I had imagined this song thematically in a similar manner as Bob Dylan's Don't Think Twice. The narrator in both songs is contemplating settling down with someone. In Bob Dylan's song, he moves on and doesn't look back. In Roses, the narrator did settle down, and ten years looks back at the broken down window ( missing glass ) and the faded ribbons and seems ___________ ( fill in the blank ). To me, the whole point of the poem is answering this question, which remains unanswered to this day. Does the narrator regret settling down? The answer is: "I don't know... must have been the roses... "