• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with possible book. Ex-mainline members please.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hi! I am thinking about writing a book about the reasons why mainline denominations are losing members at a faster rate than more conservative denominations. Anyone who has left a mainline denomination, for whatever reason, could you explain for your reasons to me? Thank you in advance.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school and catechism, had baptism, confirmation and all.

Well in Christianity the problem is often that declaring yourself a mainline member holds you to the dogma and positions of that denomination that you may not agree with or be comfortable with. People are mostly all educated today and will think for themselves, thank you. In previous times maybe only the preacher or priest had formal study that included religious matters. People would look to them as knowledgeable and as leaders while today people will say I'm intelligent and educated and I'm not accepting what doesn't accord with my reason.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Found this on Wikipedia: Hout, Greeley, and Wilde, "The Demographic Imperative in Religious Change in the United States," (2001)

Taken from Mainline Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, they do marry at a younger age and have more babies. I agree with this and have some other personal reasons:

They proselytize, whereas mainline churches are not as avid about it. The nondenominational movement has become big, and even though they may be a denomination, they try not to emphasize it. They also try to appeal to the younger crowd with hip music and light shows. They tend not to be so vocal on social issues, so as not to offend the younger people.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school and catechism, had baptism, confirmation and all.

Well in Christianity the problem is often that declaring yourself a mainline member holds you to the dogma and positions of that denomination that you may not agree with or be comfortable with. People are mostly all educated today and will think for themselves, thank you. In previous times maybe only the preacher or priest had formal study that included religious matters. People would look to them as knowledgeable and as leaders while today people will say I'm intelligent and educated and I'm not accepting what doesn't accord with my reason.

True, but if someone has a problem with mainline beliefs, why would they go to a more conservative church with stricter dogma? People with higher levels of education tend not to be conservative.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
True, but if someone has a problem with mainline beliefs, why would they go to a more conservative church with stricter dogma? People with higher levels of education tend not to be conservative.
Ooops, I did not read your OP question correctly. As to your question, one thought is that on a such a central issue to our purpose people tend towards the far ends of the spectrum rather than the middle. Hence the conservative denominations are holding their own. The more mainline denominations are more in the middle of the spectrum and the people born into these denominations tend to move to the conservative side or in the other direction; away from any Christian denomination and into 'spiritual but not religious', eastern thinking beliefs, atheism, etc..

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Ooops, I did not read your OP question correctly. As to your question, one thought is that on a such a central issue to our purpose people tend towards the far ends of the spectrum rather than the middle. Hence the conservative denominations are holding their own. The more mainline denominations are more in the middle of the spectrum and the people born into these denominations tend to move to the conservative side or in the other direction; away from any Christian denomination and into 'spiritual but not religious', eastern thinking beliefs, atheism, etc..

I think you are spot on.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Hi! I am thinking about writing a book about the reasons why mainline denominations are losing members at a faster rate than more conservative denominations. Anyone who has left a mainline denomination, for whatever reason, could you explain for your reasons to me? Thank you in advance.

To me when the priest read Matthew 10 v 28 where Jesus said to be in fear of him who can destroy both soul and body... I reasoned why is the church teaching the soul can Not be destroyed when Jesus is teaching the soul can be destroyed ?

Then, when a relative died, and the priest kept repeating to pray she was acquitted of sin, I wondered why he kept saying that when Romans 6 v 7 plainly says the one who has died is freed or acquitted from sin ?

Both school and church were teaching me the earth would be destroyed. What King Solomon wrote at Ecclesiastes 1 v 4 B [ the earth abides forever ] was the final reason for leaving.
I truly believe in the coming 1000-year kingdom reign over earth by Christ Jesus when Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will not only usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill, but his millennium-long day of ruling over earth will transform the globe into a permanently beautiful paradisaic earth as Eden was a sample. Then, righteous mankind living on earth at the end of Jesus' millennial reign over earth will gain healthy ' everlasting life on earth ' as originally offered to father Adam before his downfall.

- Revelation 22 v 2; Psalms 78 v 69; 93 v 1; 96 v 10; 115 v 16; 1st Chronicles 16 v 30

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

But do they have a higher scriptural education ? By age 12 Jesus was already well educated in the Hebrew Scriptures to the point that Jesus could intelligently converse with religious elders.

Wasn't Jesus strict about religious traditions outside of Scripture as being wrong?
- Matthew 15 v 9; Mark 7 vs 1-7,13

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
But do they have a higher scriptural education ? By age 12 Jesus was already well educated in the Hebrew Scriptures to the point that Jesus could intelligently converse with religious elders.

Wasn't Jesus strict about religious traditions outside of Scripture as being wrong?
- Matthew 15 v 9; Mark 7 vs 1-7,13

At the time, Jesus went to synogogue to learn with the other kids. His ministry didn't start until after he spent 40 days in the desert. He had different things to say by then.

ablue

Hi!

How did you come up with the assumption that Jesus went to synagogue and learn with other kids?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
@Seabeacon
I was never a member of a church with sacraments, but I think I understand the nature of this question. This isn't from a book, but its from window shopping a little bit. I think the reason some go to stricter churches is 1. they like hymns and tradition and not being fingered in services so they go Catholic 2. the mainlines are experimenting right now, mostly as a reaction to the loss of congregants over recent decades 3. Some of the mainlines are themselves encouraging stricter and more fundamentalist approaches, so they justify switching to more conservative churches. 4. Some people are afraid of too much liberalism, or they believe that there needs to be a line in the sand on certain issues. One man I knew (10 years ago) left his Episcopal church for the Catholic church over an issue pertaining to tithing or death penalty or something. I don't remember the details, but apparently there was some moral issue that he disagreed with; so he switched. 5. They don't like hymns and like the new service style. I can't understand this, but it happens. Someone leaves a nice church with hymns, because they want to dance up front. 6. Bible fundamentalism just appeals to people sometimes. They start reading and it just becomes their world.

Since mainlines have been losing congregants for a long time you actually can observe, right now, what the mainline reaction is; which has probably not been officially studied yet. I have visited a few mainlines and seen a few reactions and come up with a ballpark idea. Well one of the weaknesses of mainline churches is their seminaries. Their ministers all get the same education, so they all have the same solutions to obstacles. They are like thoroughbreds. So how are these thoroughbreds dealing modern obstacles that have been cutting into service participation? There are several major ways I think though there is a spectrum between.

A lot of them have begun to adopt tricks from the evangelical/charismatic manual. They are tossing out hymns and telling parishioners to be more fervent in singing and to lift their hands or act more joyful. They use guilt and tell everyone that they're stubborn or proud if they won't participate. They increase solo singing and incorporate the repetitive chanting with synthesizers that is today called 'Worship music'. They use more amplification in their microphones and crank up the ceiling fans during music services and encourage parishioners to feel passionately 'Close' to God during services. It is torturous to watch a church in the middle of this transformation. Some people leave and others stay. That is happening in mainline churches (as well as Baptist churches). I know a lot about this firsthand and have seen it in multiple churches in the South USA. Its hard on congregants but it pays the bills.

Other mainline ministers are incorporating ecumenical things into sermons. They preach about unity, about not judging others. They may or may not update their worship programs. They tend to be more liberal than other churches but can be politically very conservative. This can include some Baptist, some of the sacramental churches. Also some of the non mainline churches have been doing this lately in my area. These are solid but slow-growth strategies I think.

Some go Bishop Sponge's route. These ones decide that in order to stay relevant they must re-write Christianity top to bottom. These are borderline Universalist churches, except that they are Christianity where everything is a do-over. They try to take the 'Good' and throw away the 'Bad'. Well, obviously, not everybody agrees when this happens.

Last edited: