• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help to find where i belong under the spectrum of religion.

FuzzytheBear

I am going give a bit more information on this to make it easier to help, and i posted it here, since Deism is the closest i could find that could match with what i believe.

For most of my life i have pretty much had a belief that there has to be a god due to the logical reason with how our own world and the universe works like clockwork, and how the various species evolved over the millions/billions of years with a sense of logical design to them to fit their environments and to fend off predators, and that the complexity of human intellect had to come from somewhere.

I tried to read the bible, but even at a young age i could not take any of it seriously other than the moral teachings, because all of it seemed to me as nothing more than a collection of fairy tales, and when i got older and noticed people took all events seriously from it, it only seemed as though that my fellows were only trying to make themselves bigger than they actually were with illogical delusions.

I discovered a word, phrase, or you could even say group that somewhat fits my belief which is Deism. However, with my own personal belief, the classical sense is closest to what i believe, except for that they believe that god lives within our universe, and that there can be no chance for multiple universes, for either modern or classical variations, at least with what i could find.

My belief is that there is a god, but that it lives within his/her/it's own dimension, cut off from all it's creations, not to be cruel but so that the beings within the various universal creations can grow along their own desired self chosen paths without being dependent on miracles or divine interventions. I believe Jesus lived, but he did not do any of the miracles, and did not rise from the dead unless he somehow was able to fake being dead, or was in a dead-like state. I believe that god is omnipotent in a sense, but not to the point of knowing what every little Mary,Suzie, Bob and Joe are doing, and does not intercede on any of our lives, but only to look and see how the creations are doing, or a better word, advancing. but is overall indifferent, if that makes sense, it made better sense in my head.

I could really use the help, i am sorry if what i post is confusing, or stupid, it did make a lot more sense in my head.

Last edited:

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Is God monotheistic, trinitarian, polytheistic, pantheistic, etc.?
What happens after we die?
Do you read any religious literature?
What type of religious rituals are you most drawn to?
Do you do any form of meditation?
Would you like to become a God? :)

FuzzytheBear

hmm, to me god would not have a physical form, that each creation or, each universal creation, such as our own could be made from a concentration of energy or mass that may have been part of god, so it would be a combination of monotheistic and pantheistic.

for what happens after we die, i would like to believe there is something better and we do not just rot in the ground, but since there is no known evidence as to what happens after we die other than what happens to our physical bodies, i cannot be sure, but i would like to believe it is something similar to the movie "What Dreams May Come" the one with Robin Williams, an infinitesimal self paradise of our own creation.

No i do not read any, i tried, as i posted, but i could not continue with any of them due to having to be taken at a literal face value in current society, i may try later on in life whenever i get bored.

None of them.

I try to meditate every now and then, calms my mind sometimes.

Refer to end of answer 2. =) In all seriousness though, maybe, i would not mind to be a creator, to create landscapes, oceans, cosmic stuff, but not have to micromanage all the life forms, just to create things of cosmic beauty, but than again that is pretty similar to end of answer 2 lol.

Last edited:

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
hmm, to me god would not have a physical form, that each creation or, each universal creation, such as our own could be made from a concentration of energy or mass that may have been part of god, so it would be a combination of monotheistic and pantheistic.

for what happens after we die, i would like to believe there is something better and we do not just rot in the ground, but since there is no known evidence as to what happens after we die other than what happens to our physical bodies, i cannot be sure, but i would like to believe it is something similar to the movie "What Dreams May Come" the one with Robin Williams, an infinitesimal self paradise of our own creation.

No i do not read any, i tried, as i posted, but i could not continue with any of them due to having to be taken at a literal face value in current society, i may try later on in life whenever i get bored.

None of them.

I try to meditate every now and then, calms my mind sometimes.

Refer to end of answer 1. =) In all seriousness though, maybe, i would not mind to be a creator, to create landscapes, oceans, cosmic stuff, but not have to micromanage all the life forms, just to create things of cosmic beauty, but than again that is pretty similar to end of answer 1 lol.
I'd probably prescribe the New Age religions as a starting point. This is just my opinion though, if any other RF member wanted to hop on this thread it would be helpful.

FuzzytheBear

Honest question - why? You seem to have clear and considered idea of your beliefs are are apparently fairly comfortable with them. Why would you need to seek out someone else's label to try to make them fit?

Might be because if i have a label for it, if i am ever asked what my beliefs are in person, i can just simply say "I am "blank"" without having to go through an hour long speel of everything i believe, makes it a little easier to have it organized a little. At least that is how i think of it.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Might be because if i have a label for it, if i am ever asked what my beliefs are in person, i can just simply say "I am "blank"" without having to go through an hour long speel of everything i believe, makes it a little easier to have it organized a little. At least that is how i think of it.
What you described sure sounds like deism to me.

Deism is convenient for your purpose of having a simple description as well. "I believe in God, but not religion".

Tom

HonestJoe

A fair point, I just think that's where half the problems come from. If someone is really interested what you actually believe, they'll be willing to listen to a longer description. If they just want a single-word label, it's usually not a positive thing (though not necessarily intentionally). I think we'd all be better off if we actually told each other (sometimes even ourselves) what we believe.

Good luck anyway.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I am going give a bit more information on this to make it easier to help, and i posted it here, since Deism is the closest i could find that could match with what i believe.

For most of my life i have pretty much had a belief that there has to be a god due to the logical reason with how our own world and the universe works like clockwork, and how the various species evolved over the millions/billions of years with a sense of logical design to them to fit their environments and to fend off predators, and that the complexity of human intellect had to come from somewhere.

I tried to read the bible, but even at a young age i could not take any of it seriously other than the moral teachings, because all of it seemed to me as nothing more than a collection of fairy tales, and when i got older and noticed people took all events seriously from it, it only seemed as though that my fellows were only trying to make themselves bigger than they actually were with illogical delusions.

I discovered a word, phrase, or you could even say group that somewhat fits my belief which is Deism. However, with my own personal belief, the classical sense is closest to what i believe, except for that they believe that god lives within our universe, and that there can be no chance for multiple universes, for either modern or classical variations, at least with what i could find.

My belief is that there is a god, but that it lives within his/her/it's own dimension, cut off from all it's creations, not to be cruel but so that the beings within the various universal creations can grow along their own desired self chosen paths without being dependent on miracles or divine interventions. I believe Jesus lived, but he did not do any of the miracles, and did not rise from the dead unless he somehow was able to fake being dead, or was in a dead-like state. I believe that god is omnipotent in a sense, but not to the point of knowing what every little Mary,Suzie, Bob and Joe are doing, and does not intercede on any of our lives, but only to look and see how the creations are doing, or a better word, advancing. but is overall indifferent, if that makes sense, it made better sense in my head.

I could really use the help, i am sorry if what i post is confusing, or stupid, it did make a lot more sense in my head.

Sounds like you have it pretty well worked out. I personally don't worry about multiverses (I think they've become scientifically passe anyway), with pandeism being pretty much irrelevant until we can begin to figure out if God exists in the first place. And that's what deism is, a belief/hope, not a claim of knowledge.

As an adjunct to deism, I believe that God equals Truth, and vice versa, whether that God is a divine consciousness or not. If you worship that God via the pursuit of the Truth, you will be moving in the right direction. And your God can't be wrong, by definition, even if you make a personal error.

Currently our pursuit of scientific (objective) Truth has led to two firewalls: The Big Bang, and Planck Spacetime. We are completely isolated from whatever came "before", or is "outside" or "through" the universe; and the only scientific speculation we can make about it is that the situation will (probably:rolleyes:) never change...in this life. If God exists, It could well be "watching" from there.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all

I realize that this thread probably served it's purpose but I can't resist to comment that, in my experience, people rarely ask. However, I am with you on the whole label thing and it is precisely for this reason that I have a 'long answer' which requires more explanation and a 'short answer' which is pretty straight forward. Hope your search went well...

JesusBeliever

Hi there,
I hope you don't mind me responding to your post from a Biblical perspective.
Acknowledging that we have a Creator is no small feat, especially in our day and age. I'm reminded of this verse:
[VERSE="Act 10:34-35, KJV"]Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.[/VERSE]
I tried to read the bible, but even at a young age i could not take any of it seriously other than the moral teachings...
[VERSE="Romans 2:13-16, KJV"] 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another 16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:[/VERSE]

My belief is that there is a god, but that it lives within his/her/it's own dimension, cut off from all it's creations, not to be cruel but so that the beings within the various universal creations can grow along their own desired self chosen paths without being dependent on miracles or divine interventions.
This actually makes a lot of sense except I'm reminded of what Jesus said, that He came to fulfil the Moral Law of God which you can see from the verses above is "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." So you could say that the Good News of the Bible was God loving His neighbours by visiting our dimension and inviting us to visit His.

I hope this is helpful.
God Bless

Have you not ever went to christiandeistfellowship.com? John Lindell, a former Baptist preacher at the age of 16, and now in his 80s will tell you his journey to deism. He will also answer emails if you send him any questions. He has 5 videos on youtube describing his life also. He has more common sense than any poster on this forum. He profits not one cent from his beliefs.