1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Cat HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Circle_One, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Trey of Diamonds

Trey of Diamonds Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +664
    Sure, and that's the idea. Works great with kittens and puppies. Not so great with human offspring, I tortured my brother relentlessly for decades. (Still do on occasion. :eek:)

2. SageTree

SageTree Spiritual Friend
    Premium Member It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +372
    My point is only give the cat/s some one on one time... everyone is better for it.

3. Trey of Diamonds

Ratings:
    +664
    While true, there often isn't enough time in the day to supply the attention a kitten or puppy desires. If you have a busy schedule with work, school, family, etc, there may only be a couple hours a day in which you are able to play with your pet. While this is fine for older pets and young kitten or puppy needs much more play time and a companion gives it to them. It doesn't have to be the same species, but they need someone to play with and more than just an hour or two at night in front of the TV which is all some of us have to give.

4. SageTree

Ratings:
    +372
    Then I say turn off the TV and breath some life into you Life, Brother, or consider why you have the pet in the first place.

It's a tough call... but if it's going to become a regular thing, and it's up to each person how they treat their pets, I'd work on a solution.

From time to time we're tired... I'd be lying if I say I didn't get it... but being with a younger pet is PRIME time in the difference between a good pet and a blase life together.

5. .lava

.lava Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Anyone mentioned catnip?

6. Trey of Diamonds

Ratings:
    +664
    Its not the TV man, its working 8 to 10 hours a day and a 40 minute commute each day. The cat doesn't care if the TV is on while you're playing with it, it all the time you're not there. When you're at work or at school or at the grocery store. That is all a part of life as well and we do our best to balance it. Having a busy life doesn't mean you can't have pets, it's just healther for the pet if they have a companion when you aren't there for them.

7. SageTree

Ratings:
    +372

Ok... fine.... then you're the problem not the TV. ;)

You're feisty mang.

8. Circle_One

Circle_One Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Religion:
    Kemetic Recontructionist
    They're a few years older than he is, so the oldest two play with him on occasion, but not often. The one closest to his age is almost 2 years old, and she "plays" with him, by which I mean she puts up with him attacking her and chasing her around the apartment constantly, hahaha.

C'mon! I've got another 3 at my mom's house just waiting for me to move into a bigger place in July. You sure you don't want one? ;)

9. Circle_One

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Religion:
    Kemetic Recontructionist
    The reason I have the kitten is because he was abandoned by his mother under a trailer this fall, and two of his siblings died from exposure. I wasn't going to let that happen to him.

All 7 of my cats are rescues.

10. Circle_One

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Religion:
    Kemetic Recontructionist
    Also, for the record, I should note, I'm a stay at home mom. I'm home all day long, and I have plenty of time with him.

None of this stops his 3am bursts. I was just wondering if EXTRA vigorous playtime before bed would perhaps tucker him out.

11. SageTree

Ratings:
    +372
    word word... I wasn't trying to infer any heavy handedness with 'yes or no' having a pet... just buying into the discussion and were I felt it was going.

I'd play with him until he doesn't want it anymore.... after a little while they usually just lay down.

If I were you I'd get him on a laser pointer early as these are REALLY good for wearing cat's out.

And yea... cat nip MIGHT help.... it might be completely destructive too and keep him WIDE awake :D

12. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Not sure if it will help, but they actually have some videos for cats - show birds flitting around, etc. Keeps their attention for however long.

13. Trey of Diamonds

Ratings:
    +664
    Nope, I'm down to two cats and two dogs, that's enough for me. My cats are 17 years old so they wouldn't be happy with a kitten. :p

14. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,015
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Do you have a room where you could sequester him for the night? If no room, you can buy a cat condo or make one from a big, collapsible-type dog cage.