• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need an opinion from different faiths

Reggie Miller

Hi,
What do you do , if your faith requires something from you and you are unable to do it , though you acknowledge that to be true?

You need more faith. Or to stop kidding yourself and admit that you have no faith. One of the two.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To me, "religion" implies a community of shared belief, so there's no such thing as a one-person religion.

We do not agree on what the term "religion" means or implies.

As I understand it, your beliefs/practices are your own individual things, right?

It depends on point of view. Just as defining "religion" depends on point of view.

So how should I describe... whatever it is you have?

However you want. It will have no bearing on how I regard myself, or how I regard other Pagans, or anyone else who doesn't fit your religion mold. You have already decided to reject the terms I use for myself.
Contemporary Paganisms do not fit the molds you like to cast about religion, and nor do Pagans. You have to ignore them and call them not a religion. Which we are kind of used to. We get that on words like "god" and "theism" too. Par for the course. I shrug, keep doing my things, and move on.

GoodbyeDave

To me, "religion" implies a community of shared belief, so there's no such thing as a one-person religion.
As I understand it, your beliefs/practices are your own individual things, right?
So how should I describe... whatever it is you have? You say "faith" is inappropriate, I say "religion" is inappropriate, and from your description of why you object to using the term "faith", I'm guessing that you would object to "belief system", too. What's left?
Being a Pagan, I'm in the same situation as Quintessence. Paganism is not just an individual thing: Quintessence is a Neopagan, I'm a reconstructionist Pagan, and millions of people (e.g. most Chinese) are ethnic Pagans, but we all share a certain world view, a belief but not (usually) a "faith". One common belief is that the only thing that is required of us is to be good people. What is good for me is good for me as a human, not as a member of some religious organisation.

How should you refer to Paganism? As a religion. If you get an encyclopedia of the world's religions, it will include Paganism. If you want to introduce your own personal definition of "religion" or any other word, feel free — but don't expect the rest of the world to take any notice, particularly since, being an atheist, you are hardly qualified to have an informed opinion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi,
What do you do , if your faith requires something from you and you are unable to do it , though you acknowledge that to be true?

This is my experience and what I did. Without specifics, I would not take this as advice. I don't have a religion now, I have a practice. I went into Catholicism about four years ago as an adult and did not know internally that gay women could not marry in the Church. I never thought about marriage; but, the fact that I am bound by celibacy and that I am "disordered" bothered me to no end.

A couple things I did to "solve" this. I read the Bible, prayed, and talked with someone who knew a bit more about it than I did and had the patience to sit with me without judging who I am based on what they think I am.

I talked with the priest and he says that throughout history, there has always been marriage between man and woman historically speaking. (Taking out the technicalities here). He says that in many cultures, when a woman grows older, the family not the woman tries to find her a male to marry and have children. So, the decision to marry and who was mainly placed on family not as in American culture the person who wants to get married. I have a Philippine friend who won't marry anyone her family doesn't accept. Americans are, well, different.

So, I understood it from that perspective. It was something I had to accept if I stayed within that faith. I knew I wasn't disordered. I knew that I am not an alien without the capibility to love a female as a male would love one. I'm human just as a male is human.

A lot of it has to do with understanding. I read the Bible and it doesn't talk about homosexuality (sexual orientation) as a sin but actions. Even more so, it talks about sexual identity within the bounds of marriage. So, I had to come to terms with what the Bible said.

Then, of course, I prayed about it. However, it's also about acceptance. If you are married to your faith and your faith says you can't do X, then that is something you (in my opinion) may have to understand more and accept.

I stopped practicing in the Church and this was one of many major reasons I did so. I would not promote you to leave your faith since I don't know what you want to do that your religion opposes. I just say understand whatever it is. Do some "from the other person's perspective" research. Understand the nature of why that said religion said X is true.

For me, I found that the definition in the Bible and the Church definition of homosexual does not apply to me. According o the Bible, I am not a homosexual. So, it has to do with understanding.

Without details, that's as far as I can say. Advice wise, it depends on your religion too.

I don't have a religion. I have morals and I have practices that connects me with family that passed, family today, and spirits of the environment. Sometimes my grandmother (passed away) would say "go back to Christ" and I know it's wrong, so I just say "I hear you. I understand; and, I don't want to lie." So a good balance is also needed when barriers like that come about.

Tabu

This is my experience and what I did. Without specifics, I would not take this as advice. I don't have a religion now, I have a practice. I went into Catholicism about four years ago as an adult and did not know internally that gay women could not marry in the Church. I never thought about marriage; but, the fact that I am bound by celibacy and that I am "disordered" bothered me to no end.

A couple things I did to "solve" this. I read the Bible, prayed, and talked with someone who knew a bit more about it than I did and had the patience to sit with me without judging who I am based on what they think I am.

I talked with the priest and he says that throughout history, there has always been marriage between man and woman historically speaking. (Taking out the technicalities here). He says that in many cultures, when a woman grows older, the family not the woman tries to find her a male to marry and have children. So, the decision to marry and who was mainly placed on family not as in American culture the person who wants to get married. I have a Philippine friend who won't marry anyone her family doesn't accept. Americans are, well, different.

So, I understood it from that perspective. It was something I had to accept if I stayed within that faith. I knew I wasn't disordered. I knew that I am not an alien without the capibility to love a female as a male would love one. I'm human just as a male is human.

A lot of it has to do with understanding. I read the Bible and it doesn't talk about homosexuality (sexual orientation) as a sin but actions. Even more so, it talks about sexual identity within the bounds of marriage. So, I had to come to terms with what the Bible said.

Then, of course, I prayed about it. However, it's also about acceptance. If you are married to your faith and your faith says you can't do X, then that is something you (in my opinion) may have to understand more and accept.

I stopped practicing in the Church and this was one of many major reasons I did so. I would not promote you to leave your faith since I don't know what you want to do that your religion opposes. I just say understand whatever it is. Do some "from the other person's perspective" research. Understand the nature of why that said religion said X is true.

For me, I found that the definition in the Bible and the Church definition of homosexual does not apply to me. According o the Bible, I am not a homosexual. So, it has to do with understanding.

Without details, that's as far as I can say. Advice wise, it depends on your religion too.

I don't have a religion. I have morals and I have practices that connects me with family that passed, family today, and spirits of the environment. Sometimes my grandmother (passed away) would say "go back to Christ" and I know it's wrong, so I just say "I hear you. I understand; and, I don't want to lie." So a good balance is also needed when barriers like that come about.
Thanks , that's a good suggestion . I need to connect with the community and get suggestions from those who have treaded this path before me ,
but I stay in a place far off from where I have very little access or contact with the community , any ways thanks , I will try to work on that.

Tabu

To all those who were concerned and curious , I am getting into the specific,
The requirement is celibacy , which I am unable to and external situations wont allow me to because I am married and have children.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi,
Peace of mind is necessary for most any action that is worth pursuing, so I try to make my priorities clear and to keep that peace and mind and accept that there is no warranty that it will be enough.

Tabu

Peace of mind is necessary for most any action that is worth pursuing, so I try to make my priorities clear and to keep that peace and mind and accept that there is no warranty that it will be enough.
Just read your message and went to read today's BK message , this passage relevant to what you just said appeared in between,
" May you be a master ocean of peace who spreads rays of peace with your stage of an embodiment of peace.

At the present time, the greatest need of the majority of souls of the world is true peace. Many reasons for peacelessness are increasing day by day and will continue to increase. Even if you yourself are not peaceless, the atmosphere and environment of the peacelessness of others will not allow you to sit in a peaceful stage. The experience of the tension of peacelessness will increase. At such a time, you children who are master oceans of peace must merge thoughts of peacelessness and especially spread vibrations of peace."

Akivah

Hi,

We do what we are able. G-d values our efforts more than our success.

arthra

Baha'i
Hi,

Of course it depends on what you cannot do..... I believe God has provided us with capacities of which we are only dimly aware. There's a well known verse in the Bible that goes:

1 Corinthians 10:13, "(God) will not let you be tested beyond your strength."

and in the sixth surih of the Qur'an:

"We will not task a soul beyond its ability"

There are some admonitions and laws that require obedience and ask us to approach in humility and do our best... If it relates to ordinances even in the case say of Fasting there are provisions made... Pilgrimage is only required if it is within our means to do so... Obligatory prayers missed have prayers to make up for this... So again it depends on the issue.

Tabu

Of course it depends on what you cannot do..... I believe God has provided us with capacities of which we are only dimly aware. There's a well known verse in the Bible that goes:

1 Corinthians 10:13, "(God) will not let you be tested beyond your strength."

and in the sixth surih of the Qur'an:

"We will not task a soul beyond its ability"

There are some admonitions and laws that require obedience and ask us to approach in humility and do our best... If it relates to ordinances even in the case say of Fasting there are provisions made... Pilgrimage is only required if it is within our means to do so... Obligatory prayers missed have prayers to make up for this... So again it depends on the issue.
I think there are two types of abilities , Physical and Mental.
Even if a task is physically challenging we perform it if we have the determination to do so. Sometimes Faith makes the impossible possible.
Lack of mental ability is the real challenge . If everyone has the mental ability to bear what one has been put through , there wont be sorrow , grief and won't be any suicides.
so , What about those tests which cross the threshold of our mental abilities?.
Why are the tests easy on some ,extremely difficult or impossible on others , why do some fail and others succeed when each one is tested according to his/her ability?

Tabu

I believe you, that post was designed to help get you to realize that you do have faith. My next question is, what do you have faith in?
Faith in all that which is being taught in my faith , and to what % , I am not sure , may be different for different aspects.

Akivah

To all those who were concerned and curious , I am getting into the specific,
The requirement is celibacy , which I am unable to and external situations wont allow me to because I am married and have children.

This makes no sense to me. It is against Jewish Law to be married and be celibate at the same time. It is a requirement of Jewish Law that you sexually satisfy your spouse. If you're male, it is even a requirement that you satisfy your wife before yourself (and people wonder why Jews make the best husbands!)

Akivah

I think this reasoning sometimes ( or many a times) becomes an excuse.

Nonsense, it is life! G-d never commanded us to be perfect. He gave us Laws and at the same time, gave us an atonement system for when we make mistakes. All G-d ever asked us to do, is our best.

arthra

Baha'i
What about those tests which cross the threshold of our mental abilities?.
Why are the tests easy on some ,extremely difficult or impossible on others , why do some fail and others succeed when each one is tested according to his/her ability?

We all have varying abilities and we also have potentialities so it's hard to draw general conclusions that can account for human variabilities as we all experience things differently. As we age our senses and physical strengths can also change... but I think there is another factor involved and that is solidarity we have in our social networks. The family, the local community we live in and even our larger communities can cushion some of the blows of life and provide strength.

Tabu

This makes no sense to me. It is against Jewish Law to be married and be celibate at the same time. It is a requirement of Jewish Law that you sexually satisfy your spouse. If you're male, it is even a requirement that you satisfy your wife before yourself (and people wonder why Jews make the best husbands!)
Fine , that is your view from your religious perspective, I understand that,
But BKs have a different view and different reasoning ,this is what BK sister Shivani has to say when questioned on celibacy and marriage.

"Oh, you are married? I thought you were celibate…

I am celibate but I am married. I have been married for the last 15 years and I live with my husband but we are celibate by choice.

Celibacy is not a problem in the marriage?

Not at all. Not that it is compulsory but we do understand the benefits of it. In fact, it makes our relationship very nice. It is an illusion to believe that a physical relationship is vital in a marriage. We are the best of friends."

Tabu

Nonsense, it is life! G-d never commanded us to be perfect. He gave us Laws and at the same time, gave us an atonement system for when we make mistakes. All G-d ever asked us to do, is our best.
Mistakes are different from excuses , the former are unintentional whereas excuses could be due to multiple reasons.