• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice, seeking, leaving LDS church.

David T

Premium Member
Once again I find myself needing to find explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:

• Does not believe in any "caste" system for the afterlife (degrees of glory, eternally outcast→favorite children)
  • Embraces spiritual experiences, includes more than intellectual study
  • Participates in humanitarian work
  • Community oriented, welcomes guests, participates in festivals
  • Has amazing and uplifting music
  • Respects all religious beliefs, does not hold itself above others.

ok - suggest away, what group fulfills the above?

Also, family advice. Has anyone out there left the church their family currently attends? What is the best way to maintain close family ties while attending different religious groups?
Join no religious group till you get the religious experiences sorted out. I made a mistake? I had to learn? I had to pass thru religion? In order to understand religious experience. Religious experience is where cultural religion is waaaaaaay off track. It's never contemplated at all at its almost exclusively used as justification for a whole bunch of nonsense. But that's normal!!!! Science does the same thing incontext to nature . Normal!!!!

idea

Question Everything
Join no religious group till you get the religious experiences sorted out. I made a mistake? I had to learn? I had to pass thru religion? In order to understand religious experience. Religious experience is where cultural religion is waaaaaaay off track. It's never contemplated at all at its almost exclusively used as justification for a whole bunch of nonsense. But that's normal!!!! Science does the same thing incontext to nature . Normal!!!!

Perhaps "join" is the wrong word, and "attend" would be better suited. I do enjoy discussing spiritual paths, and enjoy the companionship of others seeking to improve and better themselves.

idea

Question Everything
Are you looking for a new faith or sticking with Christianity?

I love the sermon on the mount, am still sorting out what I feel about the atonement, what healthy sacrifice entails. Looking to expand, but not exclude.

Yea, UU probably does fit me best, I'll need to keep looking into it for a bit more though. Wish there was a closer UU group to my home!

siti

I'm a girl for goodness sake! .... Also looking for a group without sexism, with both feminine and masculine divine.
Oops! Boy (oops! again) - that's a tall order - not many hermaphrodite religions around as far as I know...

How did someone so keen on equal ops for divine inspiration end up in the LDS Church?

More seriously, I think the UU Church and the Quakers might be worth looking into. I have given up on organized religion - at least for now - but these are about the only ones I would seriously consider if I ever felt the need to "return to the fold". Unfortunately neither have a presence where I live (as far as I know) - so that might ultimately (science-like?) remain a perfectly sensible notion without practical application.

Signed,

Siti
An Applied Scientist

Last edited:

Profound Realization

Once again I find myself needing to find explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:

• Does not believe in any "caste" system for the afterlife (degrees of glory, eternally outcast→favorite children)

Also, family advice. Has anyone out there left the church their family currently attends? What is the best way to maintain close family ties while attending different religious groups?

I’d personally take some exploration time to yourself, void of groups, void of the need to be part of a group at the moment.

The common advice these days seems to be, “trust in your intuition except for when it contradicts what other people say is science.” “Be a free thinker except for when it goes against what other people say is science.” This just enslaves in my opinion, and you’re your own scientist.

Being a freelancing heretic with no obligations/allegiance, where no one has pressure or expectations for you is the ideal, vainless freedom in my opinion. You can find all of the above in alternative, freelanced ways, or it will find you.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

idea

Question Everything
Being a freelancing heretic with no obligations/allegiance, where no one has pressure or expectations for you is the ideal, vainless freedom in my opinion. You can find all of the above in alternative, freelanced ways, or it will find you.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

A freelancer, I like it. Thank you for your post.

Jumi

Oops! Boy (oops! again) - that's a tall order - not many hermaphrodite religions around as far as I know...
When you realize she isn't looking for hermaphrodite gods, it's not very tall actually. Most religions have female divines. It's just the couple of major ones that don't and even with some Catholics there's Mary that has a lot of focus.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Once again I find myself needing to explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:

Eastern Orthodox Christianity fits the bill pretty well.

The best way to keep family ties: Just continue to be a good son/daughter/brother/sister to them. To quote my signature: "Love should never be sacrificed for the sake of some dogmatic differences."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Once again I find myself needing to explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:

Except for the music requirement, an unprogrammed Quaker meeting would probably satisfy all of them (unprogrammed Quaker meetings typically have no music).

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

Are you a member of any groups that aren't specifically a religious group? Say, a hobby group for example? Just curious.

idea

Question Everything
Are you a member of any groups that aren't specifically a religious group? Say, a hobby group for example? Just curious.

My work is also my hobby, probably like work a little too much... Also I'm a member of my family group, so yes, I have multiple groups of people I circulate around among. I am getting into running again, that would also be a good group to join, although I do like solo running.

Yes, I do think it is important for everyone to belong to multiple groups.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
My work is also my hobby, probably like work a little too much... Also I'm a member of my family group, so yes, I have multiple groups of people I circulate around among. I am getting into running again, that would also be a good group to join, although I do like solo running.

Yes, I do think it is important for everyone to belong to multiple groups.
So, are you exclusively looking for a religious group to belong to? I ask because I think you may find a lot of what you're looking for in groups like amateur dramatics, philosophy or art, which is what I would recommend.

As far as religious groups go, I don't think I could be much use other than recommending Unitarian Universalists - which has already been suggested a lot - but I can speak from my own personal experience that I got a great deal out of joining an amateur dramatics group. Of course this may not be what you're after, but I'd recommend it all the same.

DavidFirth

I'm wondering how you think you can top Jesus Christ?

ronandcarol

Premium Member
First I applaud you for running from the LDS cult.
  • Does not believe in any "caste" system for the afterlife (degrees of glory, eternally outcast→favorite children) Afterlife for a Christain is paradise with our Lord and Savior Jesus, in Life Eternal. All are the same; children of God, co-heirs with Jesus.
  • Embraces spiritual experiences, includes more than intellectual study. Study within any Christian environment/church should always be study of the Bible. No compromise!
  • Participates in humanitarian work. All Christians should.
  • Community-oriented, welcomes guests, participates in festivals. All Christians should be a vital part of the community, spreading the good-news of the Gospel.
  • Has amazing and uplifting music. Many Christain churches now have two services, one for the older folks who like the old hymns, and another with more contemporary 'band' music. Like KLOVE radio type songs.
  • Respects all religious beliefs, does not hold itself above others. Christians are to always show the love of Jesus towards ALL, people and religions. It has been said that God has believers in ALL religions.
ronandcarol

Jumi

I think this depends on how understanding they are... often different religion can be like differing political parties, best left undiscussed among family. That said I've known some interesting couples with opposite religious beliefs without problems and open with them.

Jeremiah Ames

My background has similarities, but then huge differences.
But I will share.
I grew up knowing Mormonism and Catholicity.
My mother is Mormon, my dad is Catholic. All relatives on either side are all the same. No variety.
At an early age I concluded that religion is wrong.
And decided to avoid all religion.
I went to college and became an engineer.
I did not think of religion, although my spouse was a born again Christian. 40 years into our marriage, I finally found Jesus. My wife did not have any religious background and never went to church her 30ish years as a Christian. She found Jesus through a woman’s group and although most were church people, she was never treated differently for not being so. Once I found Jesus, I thought we should immediately find a church and begin attending. That was a nearly 5 year experience, a necessary experience, and a learning experience. After experiencing at least 10 different churches, we have now not only stopped attending, but stopped looking. I don’t believe that magical ‘body’ of believers can be found in a religion or a building.
The churches were more of a social club combined with a list of rules and things you must do, than a place to get to know Jesus.
They sprinkle a bit of Jesus, but mostly its just filler.
I read a book from a well known American pastor who runs a giant church.
He says, that the majority of people attending churches, including his, are parrots. They stay close together in a group on their perches to keep warm and comfy, and get fed a little pablum, and never grow. He says there are very few eagles in the churches.
My experience says his analogy is spot on.

We have discovered a wealth of thoughtful and helpful information online. God is working through talented people to get His message across. The printing press was a revolutionary advance that changed the face of religion. I think the internet is a million times more revolutionary. It will bring Jesus into the hearts of all true seekers. We have finally found people who are like us, who just want a close relationship with Jesus only. No rituals, no to-do lists, no creeds, no traditions of men. I don’t think there is a ‘group’ , but the people are everywhere. For the time being we are satisfied with the few people we have found, and also satisfied in spending our time learning, thinking, and growing.
Thinking and growing is the key. You can’t grow very well stuck on pablum forever. We read and study nearly every day, some days for many hours. (We’re retired). There are two ways you could approach this search. Find various churches and attend. Experience them. If you continually find them all lacking, then give up for a while and study and search online. Or just go straight to the online method. I got so frustrated after years of religion, and searching online for a church body. I was filled with so much useless ‘stuff’ and traditions, and subtle condemnation from these bodies. So, a while back I entered in the search engine “is there a church that teaches Jesus”. Well that has led me on an interesting journey. It was a bit scary at first, because you start to realize that nearly everything you believe and nearly everything you are told is very likely wrong. But the words of Jesus hit me when he said you must come to me like little children. That is the key. Try to erase the baggage you have in your head put there by the world and by man made religion, and start fresh like a lost child in search of her father.

You left the nest, now spread your wings.
Best of luck to you. I rambled too long, sorry.