• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice, seeking, leaving LDS church.

idea

Question Everything
Once again I find myself needing to explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:

• Does not believe in any "caste" system for the afterlife (degrees of glory, eternally outcast→favorite children)
  • Embraces spiritual experiences, includes more than intellectual study
  • Participates in humanitarian work
  • Community oriented, welcomes guests, participates in festivals
  • Has amazing and uplifting music
  • Respects all religious beliefs, does not hold itself above others.

ok - suggest away, what group fulfills the above?

Also, family advice. Has anyone out there left the church their family currently attends? What is the best way to maintain close family ties while attending different religious groups?

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Once again I find myself needing to find explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:
  • Does not believe in any "caste" system for the afterlife (degrees of glory, eternally outcast→favorite children)

Also, family advice. Has anyone out there left the church their family currently attends? What is the best way to maintain close family ties while attending different religious groups?
Missing one critical item:
  • Understands that the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate that certain religious claims are false, then the religion must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims. (thanks to Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Understands that the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate that certain religious claims are false, then the religion must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims. (thanks to Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama)
Just can't help yourself, can you?

idea

Question Everything

I'm an engineer. The difference between engineering and science? Engineering is applied.

Here is one thing to add -
  • I am also looking for an applied religion. (community service, meetings that are not "preachy", but more discussion groups)

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

Once again I find myself needing to find explore and find a new faith group. Quick background, I grew up in a religious, but non-denominational family. After spiritual experiences I then joined the LDS church which I attended for quite some time. After a few life-events, I am now seeking to find a group that:

How about just thinking for yourself? No reason to belong to a religious group (cult).

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you looking for a new faith or sticking with Christianity?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Just can't help yourself, can you?

No, he cant.
It is therefore safe to assume that the nature of your perception of reality is entirely independent of critical investigation or thinking: that religious claims are sacrosanct and even when scientific analysis conclusively demonstrates that religious claims are false, you will never accept the findings of science but rather will wrong headedly and contradictorily stick to those obviously false claims. Yes?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

The Unitarian Universalists come to mind. I knew a few back in the day. They seemed like pretty welcoming, community oriented people who put individual spiritual experiences above dogma, but were respectful of all religious beliefs. Good luck with your search!

idav

Being
Premium Member
The Unitarian Universalists come to mind. I knew a few back in the day. They seemed like pretty welcoming, community oriented people who put individual spiritual experiences above dogma, but were respectful of all religious beliefs. Good luck with your search!
This, what sunstone says. UU accepts diverse beliefs, has some pretty decent hymns (won't be the tabernacle choir), and they have a ritual also that represents the taking of the bread of life if you still adhere to some of the Christian aspects.

idea

Question Everything
How about just thinking for yourself? No reason to belong to a religious group (cult).

The point of most religious groups is love, and spiritual growth which all involve healthy connections with groups of people. Thinking for ourselves is involved in choosing which religious group to join. Yes, I am looking for a group that is able to embrace many different beliefs.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
There is an ex-Mormon support/discussion group that might interest you on reddit.

although the ex-mormon groups can be a good support for those who need help redefining themselves, I find there is also a little bit of negativity within them. See bullet point above -
This includes continuing to respect my previous beliefs. I did not join the Mormon faith for unhealthy reasons, and I am not expanding my belief system out of hatred or anger.

Perhaps this fits a little -
http://www.mormonmatters.org/2008/12/29/can-you-be-a-unitarian-and-a-mormon-at-the-same-time/

What I loved about Mormonism:
  • eternal beliefs that life started before birth and continue beyond death
  • that this life is not the only time to define yourself, temple work for the dead
  • family history and genealogy
  • communication with the divine, belief in miracles and spiritual guidance
  • youth programs, and some of the standards such as the word of wisdom
  • continuing revelation
  • personal revelation

What I am having trouble with
  • outer darkness, and eternal degrees of glory (caste system)
  • treatment of LGBTQ community
  • female vs. male roles within the church
  • holding themselves to be the only true church, without embracing the beautiful truths of others..
  • relying on their prophet a little too much (although I do love the idea of recognizing spiritual leaders)
As my family (husband and children) are LDS I will continue to attend some church meetings with them. I have however turned in my temple recommend, have been released from my LDS callings, and am also no longer participating in their visit teaching program.

Any other multi-belief religious families out there? Do you attend multiple spiritual groups together? A little of one, and a little of another?

I am slowly introducing my children to my new beliefs, would like them to have an example of being committed to exploring a spiritual side of life, committed to finding health and peace, while being free of commitment to groups or dogma.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
although the ex-mormon groups can be a good support for those who need help redefining themselves, I find there is also a little bit of negativity within them. See bullet point above -

Just a suggestion, nothing more. Best wishes on your sojourn.