• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
it is a pretty big decision, faith/religion is part of everyday.
This. :)

It's very frustrating. I would recommend you visit some places of worship to help you 'connect' with it. Even take up their styles of praying for a month or so (a month so you get used to it); do you feel good, does it feel, 'right'?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I know it's going to sound contradictory, but at the same time, the reasons I gave aren't really all that bad, for example, some Muslims believe in equality for all, and leave judgement to Allah. My friend also spoke of interfaith marriages, between a Muslim woman she knows. As for the God issues, it's hard to really know and also, as said, some things make no sense but can be because God indeed knows what's best for us. Why wouldn't God have both mercy but also feel angry or dissapointed about us?

There's always a way to reconcile your beliefs to a faith. What's the point of joining a religion if you're just going to live the way you want to anyway?

Anyway, that's one side of myself. I can't seem to deny that I'm interested in Islam, always have a strong fascination with it since I discovered it. Also I keep having many dreams about it, especially if I ignore it for a while, about being a Muslim, converting or being sorrounded by them. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I wanted to convert a few months ago but I think I chickened out.

What is it about Islam that interests you? (sorry if this has been asked before)

The other side of me is what I constructed, Panentheism, mixed with nature reverence similar to Paganism and some Buddhist practises and philosophy. But sometimes it feels fake and made up (well yes, made by myself). How do I know what the divine is? It feels pretentious!

I'd stick with this. Even if it feels made up it's a reflection of
a) who you are and
b) your beliefs.

As for 'how can I know what the divine is' the answer is that you can't know. If you ask different religious people you'll get different answers.

I feel like I'm having a double life! How can I solve this annoying conflict? Is there any meaning in my constant dreams? Or am I overthinking? :areyoucra

You solve the annoying conflict by following what feel right to you.

The brain is a powerful tool. The dream about being Muslim is, probably, just due to your interest in Islam and your wanting to convert.

Sakeenah

There's a problem I encountered today while reflecting.

I search religions so much, I like many of them for different reasons but I haven't any pull or call to any of them. The only religion I felt that sort of feeling before is Islam. Sometimes I wonder if I'm resisting what I should be.

For example, I like Dharmic religions a lot, especially Hinduism. It fits with many of my beliefs, and I really like Krishna and the texts move me but I don't feel the call!

Ugh! Back to square one! >_<'

I understand your frustration and I believe that every person who is sincerely seeking for siratul mustaqeem( right path )and for inner happiness will find it.Because God is Most Merciful and Most Kind.So I advise you to ask God sincerely to Guide you that which is right. God mentions in the quran:

&#1608;&#1614;&#1573;&#1616;&#1584;&#1575; &#1587;&#1614;&#1571;&#1614;&#1604;&#1614;&#1603;&#1614; &#1593;&#1616;&#1576;&#1575;&#1583;&#1609; &#1593;&#1614;&#1606;&#1617;&#1609; &#1601;&#1614;&#1573;&#1616;&#1606;&#1617;&#1609; &#1602;&#1614;&#1585;&#1610;&#1576;&#1612; &#1750; &#1571;&#1615;&#1580;&#1610;&#1576;&#1615; &#1583;&#1614;&#1593;&#1608;&#1614;&#1577;&#1614; &#1575;&#1604;&#1583;&#1617;&#1575;&#1593;&#1616; &#1573;&#1616;&#1584;&#1575; &#1583;&#1614;&#1593;&#1575;&#1606;&#1616; &#1750; &#1601;&#1614;&#1604;&#1610;&#1614;&#1587;&#1578;&#1614;&#1580;&#1610;&#1576;&#1608;&#1575; &#1604;&#1609; &#1608;&#1614;&#1604;&#1610;&#1615;&#1572;&#1605;&#1616;&#1606;&#1608;&#1575; &#1576;&#1609; &#1604;&#1614;&#1593;&#1614;&#1604;&#1617;&#1614;&#1607;&#1615;&#1605; &#1610;&#1614;&#1585;&#1588;&#1615;&#1583;&#1608;&#1606;&#1614;

And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided.

So what I recommend to you is to talk to God (He is Al-heering)and ask Him to guide you to a path where you will find true happiness and at the same sincerely believe in God and that He will guide you.
And life is a journey and we are like travellers we can learn from every situation we are in..maybe you can't see it now but maybe after a little while you will be thankfull for your search..and I hope it will make you even a better person.

And I wanted to mention one last thing in islam we believe that Good dreams are
from Allah..it can be a bushaara(Glad tiding/good news),Sometimes it can be a sign or a warning etc.for you or someone else these are dreams with meanings and we can learn from them.even though these dreams aren't wahy(revelation)

I hope you find what you are searching for :)

Hi illikitty i think you r a faithful person , ur indecision is totally normal ,but dont hesitate sinse you know the Truth ,truth is one lies are many
When God (Allah) created human being , He gave him all senses ( including commun sense which is an internal balance that allow us to know existance and onesness of God, as well as to know the right and the wrong ) so He gave us all senses , signs , in ourselves and in the universe , and He helped us with the prophets and messengers and holly books to know the right path.
Then. God gave everyone of us the choice :
To believe or disbelieve
To obey or disobey
To listen to the teachings of the prophet and warning of day of judgment or to refuse listining
In the day of judgment everyone will be treated according to his own choice
Allah is the most just , He wouldnt reward or punish people if it wasnt their own free choice,,,,,
There is no compulsion in religion, but free choice , and responsability of choice
Translt of Quran (Word of God) 1:256-257:" There is no compulsion in religion.Right direction is henseforth distinct from error ,and he who rejecteth false dieties and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm hand which will never break.
Allah is Hearer , Knower.
Allah is the protector of those who believe .He bringeth them out of darkness into light .As for those who disbelieve their patrons are false dieties , they bring them out of the light into darkness.Such are rightful owners of fire. They will abide therein."

The Genesis Code

Okay now this will probably come off as someone very contradictory and confused but if anyone can bare with me... I said in the thread "Reason to not be Muslim":

I know it's going to sound contradictory, but at the same time, the reasons I gave aren't really all that bad, for example, some Muslims believe in equality for all, and leave judgement to Allah. My friend also spoke of interfaith marriages, between a Muslim woman she knows. As for the God issues, it's hard to really know and also, as said, some things make no sense but can be because God indeed knows what's best for us. Why wouldn't God have both mercy but also feel angry or dissapointed about us?

Anyway, that's one side of myself. I can't seem to deny that I'm interested in Islam, always have a strong fascination with it since I discovered it. Also I keep having many dreams about it, especially if I ignore it for a while, about being a Muslim, converting or being sorrounded by them. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I wanted to convert a few months ago but I think I chickened out.

The other side of me is what I constructed, Panentheism, mixed with nature reverence similar to Paganism and some Buddhist practises and philosophy. But sometimes it feels fake and made up (well yes, made by myself). How do I know what the divine is? It feels pretentious!

I feel like I'm having a double life! How can I solve this annoying conflict? Is there any meaning in my constant dreams? Or am I overthinking? :areyoucra

Your real question is, "Where is my Godliness?" While you are seeking to know the truth, you aren't finding it in the major religions. From your words, this seems apparent. I suggest you step away from all religious ideology, and focus on your true self. What is God to you? What are 'you' to you? If you concentrate hard enough, your inner Godliness will be revealed and guide you. Everything is God. Every man, woman, and child. However, man created religion, not God. If everything is God, this means that you are 'a facet of the Godliness' striving to reach a higher state of awareness.

If possible, we highly recommend you read our just released book THE GENESIS CODE: GOD HAS SPOKEN. This book is not about religion, but about the relationship between God, creation, and mankind. It is for all of humanity. This is a completely new level of understanding, and the code takes us closer to the mind of God than ever before. You must know where you come from, before you can truly know where you are and who you are.

Our best to you. You will find your truth!

Manss

I have been always Muslim and born in a Muslim family. I Have seen god by my heat eyes often and I don't think there is someone more blissful than me except who is a Muslim by more faith and knowledge than me. I can't talk about most of what I know because those are not sensible for who lives in an ordinary world. God is very loveable if someone know him and is very awful ( because of greatness and kingdom ) if someone understand him. but most people (Muslims) tend to his beauties , mercifully and love. This is a holy narrative ( it is not in Quran) is Quoted from god and may it guides you to reality. it is suitable for who want recognize god
God says : " who seeks for me finds me , who finds me knows me , who knows me loves me , who loves me I love him/her ..........

illykitty

RF's pet cat
~Update!~

I decided to follow what I believe in, self made belief, as you see in my title and religion near my username. I simply pieced up things I like from other religions and formulated my own ideas. It feels right and that's what I'm going to stick to, unless something really amazing happens to make me change my mind.

I simply can't force myself into something that doesn't fit but I'll keep an open mind and still read about other religions (hey I might find something to add to mine)!

What made me decide this, is that I did a guided meditation to meet your true self and I saw it. And my true self followed this religion. So I'll just keep being honest to my self from now on! Big thanks to everyone who has replied, it really helped! :)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
New update: I decided that I'm going to study Sikhism. My own made belief is close to Sikhism anyway. It might help and reinforce my spirituality. I need some guidance, I can't just follow whatever I made up.

I tried the last few months. It doesn't feel quite there. Perhaps because it lack whatever Sikhism has!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
New update: I decided that I'm going to study Sikhism. My own made belief is close to Sikhism anyway. It might help and reinforce my spirituality. I need some guidance, I can't just follow whatever I made up.

I tried the last few months. It doesn't feel quite there. Perhaps because it lack whatever Sikhism has!
You can do a lot worse than Sikhism if you're a panentheist. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Oh, yes, a LOT worse.
No empty rituals, no superstition, no idolatry... it's quite suitable for modern people!
Like Buddhism, but for theists!
Exactly so. :)

I think if people like Buddhism, but not the atheistic, harping-on-about-no-self side of it, they should look into Sikhism, and some forms of Hinduism, depending on their tastes. Sadly for Sikhism, is it's an often overlooked religion. I would be surprised if there were more than 20 or 30 active members on here who have read the Gur&#363; Granth S&#257;hib, excluding Sikhs.

In addition to this, there is also a lot of misinformation about Sikhism out there; claims that Sikhism is "a mix of Hinduism and Islam", "Sikhs must draw blood if they withdraw their kirp&#257;n" (this one is absolutely insane!), "Sikhism is a male-centred religion where women are not equal", "Sikh women cannot get baptized", "Sikh women cannot participate in funerals", and so on are all things I have heard said about Sikhism; and they are all wrong.

Still, all one can do is educate I guess. :)

Bob Dixon

>implying
Exactly so. :)

I think if people like Buddhism, but not the atheistic, harping-on-about-no-self side of it, they should look into Sikhism, and some forms of Hinduism, depending on their tastes. Sadly for Sikhism, is it's an often overlooked religion. I would be surprised if there were more than 20 or 30 active members on here who have read the Gur&#363; Granth S&#257;hib, excluding Sikhs.

Well, to be fair, having read the Guru Granth Sahib isn't exactly easy. It's so voluminous!
Or, do you mean, have read parts of it?

In addition to this, there is also a lot of misinformation about Sikhism out there; claims that Sikhism is "a mix of Hinduism and Islam", "Sikhs must draw blood if they withdraw their kirp&#257;n" (this one is absolutely insane!), "Sikhism is a male-centred religion where women are not equal", "Sikh women cannot get baptized", "Sikh women cannot participate in funerals", and so on are all things I have heard said about Sikhism; and they are all wrong.

My goodness, none of these have basis in reality! Who goes around telling people these things? Where do they even start?
Actually, I can kind of understand why someone would think it's a mix of HInduism and Islam, at first. Like, if they aren't educated about it, it could seem that way.

Still, all one can do is educate I guess. :)

True, true.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Well, to be fair, having read the Guru Granth Sahib isn't exactly easy. It's so voluminous!
Or, do you mean, have read parts of it?
Either, man. Probably the most the majority of RFers have read of the GGS is when I, and a few others, change signatures to something.

My goodness, none of these have basis in reality! Who goes around telling people these things? Where do they even start?
They are started by either observations from watching the occasional ignorant layfollower (for example, thinking Sikhism follows the caste system, or a wife's brother sorting all the funeral out for her, maybe because she's so bereaved -- must be because she isn't allowed to), or from shallow understandings ("Baptised Sikhs wear shorts.. therefore these shorts must be magical"), or occasionally, just making stuff up and pulling it out of their backsides, possibly quoting someone else, or possibly made up because of distrust for a group. ("Sikhs have to draw blood if they draw their swords").

It's not unusual for people to make stuff up, either, often for dramatic reasons. My sister's boyfriend said something like this to me about a year ago, which is somewhat related:

"About a year ago, I was walking from the pub, and one of the Muslims saw me staggering, and pulled out a huge sword from his belt and started chasing me. I had to hide and he ran off."
"Why did he do that?"
"I must have looked at him funny, but it's part of their religion to kill people."
"What did he look like?"
"He was tall, and he was wearing one of those orange turbans with a big beard, in those clothes they wear."
"Where was this?"
"The mosque near the bus depot."
"Didn't happen."
"Yes it ******* did, what would you know?"
"I've been there. It's not a mosque, it's Sikh. They also aren't allowed to kill people, and they carry tiny blades, not huge swords. Muslims rarely wear turbans."
"It still happened."
"Maybe in Narnia."

He stopped liking me about then. :D

Actually, I can kind of understand why someone would think it's a mix of HInduism and Islam, at first. Like, if they aren't educated about it, it could seem that way.
True, one can see it like that, but it's a very shallow way for one to understand it, really. If anything, the closest one could say Sikhism is derived from would be the Sant Mat bhakti movement of Hinduism. ;)

Bob Dixon

>implying
"About a year ago, I was walking from the pub, and one of the Muslims saw me staggering, and pulled out a huge sword from his belt and started chasing me. I had to hide and he ran off."
"Why did he do that?"
"I must have looked at him funny, but it's part of their religion to kill people."
"What did he look like?"
"He was tall, and he was wearing one of those orange turbans with a big beard, in those clothes they wear."
"Where was this?"
"The mosque near the bus depot."
"Didn't happen."
"Yes it ******* did, what would you know?"
"I've been there. It's not a mosque, it's Sikh. They also aren't allowed to kill people, and they carry tiny blades, not huge swords. Muslims rarely wear turbans."
"It still happened."
"Maybe in Narnia."

I think a good laughing_elf_man.jpg is in order here.

333273-laughing_elf_man_super_397.jpg

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
Greetings illikitty...

All religion teach a good things .. You just need a face to face teacher, not just read all on the internet. You will never got a real "touching", unless you got something (words) going through inside your ears... You need to find really good teacher that accepts all religion is the same, because It's look like you have studied all religion don't you? .. sorry my bad english...

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well after all of this, I converted... To Islam.

I went to Canada for 2 weeks, while I was there I thought I'd meet a friend of mine (who converted) but couldn't finally. I met with one of her friend instead. She was born Muslim but brought with her her brother and a man they know who's a convert.

He told us his story, we asked questions and we talked (about Islam mainly but a few other things). I felt comfortable with what I was hearing and seeing them pray made me feel warm in my heart. I keep going back to Islam and I understood that deeply, that's what my heart wanted.

So I converted, there, in front of them as my witnesses. I feel lighter now that I finally chose my path. I've got LOADS to learn now and no mosque and no teaching close by. It'll be a challenge but that's perhaps the jihad Allah gave for me.

So assalamu alaykum my new brothers and sisters! Hopefully I can read and learn in the Islam DIR and see you around!

Me Myself

Back to my username
"pretend" you are a muslim for 3 weeks without converting

If it works, extend the "pretending" period. to 2 months.

If you are sure of it then, convert, if not, look for something else.

The trick is you should be fully muslim or as fully muslim as you feel it is okay to be for those 3 weeks then 2 months.

The dreams can be merely because a part of you feels repressed. Try it out, see if it doesn't tire out the muslimish stuff.

After that period you may even know what parts of it attracted you and are worrth keeping, if you don't become a full muslim.