• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I don't think I can realy help but Islam is my favorit of the monotheism and Allah seems the most loving version of God. I think you would be most comfortable with the suffism sect. I base this off my time as an atheist mod on an islamic site. Read The Heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity by seyyed hossein nasr

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
^

someone told me the other day you have to be 'born into' Hinduism.

from what you are saying it seems possible that one can convert - are there any restrictions?

I am a white European.

There are no restrictions. Hinduism isn't like that. Guidelines, yes. Basically, all you have to do is start practising. Some people merely discover their already existing Hinduness. It happens to be the best fit for their pre-existing beliefs.

Odion did an excellent summary of why this myth still exists. Now its mainly kept alive by Abrahamics trying to keep their flock. Of course the workings of the mind make this a bit absurd, because if something makes sense to you, it just does, and no matter how hard you try, you can't rid yourself of it. Its a bit like trying to learn to hate your favorite vegetable, the one you loved as a child.

Still there are variations of conversion, ranging from just starting practising, right up to full diksha and acceptance within a sampradaya (sect within sect) and legal change of name. In Himalayan Academy, you're not just converting to Hinduism, but also to a narrow very disciplined sect within the vastness. That's why it comes across as stringent.

Probably the most common 'official' conversion goes on by the Arya samaj in India, and those aren't really conversions at all. its a welcoming back of people who were once Hindus but were converted to other faiths for all the wrong reasons (money, jobs, food).

atanu

Premium Member
Okay now this will probably come off as someone very contradictory and confused but if anyone can bare with me... I said in the thread "Reason to not be Muslim":

I know it's going to sound contradictory, but at the same time, the reasons I gave aren't really all that bad, for example, some Muslims believe in equality for all, and leave judgement to Allah. My friend also spoke of interfaith marriages, between a Muslim woman she knows. As for the God issues, it's hard to really know and also, as said, some things make no sense but can be because God indeed knows what's best for us. Why wouldn't God have both mercy but also feel angry or dissapointed about us?

Anyway, that's one side of myself. I can't seem to deny that I'm interested in Islam, always have a strong fascination with it since I discovered it. Also I keep having many dreams about it, especially if I ignore it for a while, about being a Muslim, converting or being sorrounded by them. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I wanted to convert a few months ago but I think I chickened out.

The other side of me is what I constructed, Panentheism, mixed with nature reverence similar to Paganism and some Buddhist practises and philosophy. But sometimes it feels fake and made up (well yes, made by myself). How do I know what the divine is? It feels pretentious!

I feel like I'm having a double life! How can I solve this annoying conflict? Is there any meaning in my constant dreams? Or am I overthinking? :areyoucra

What 'Ism' you were born into?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Probably the most common 'official' conversion goes on by the Arya samaj in India, and those aren't really conversions at all. its a welcoming back of people who were once Hindus but were converted to other faiths for all the wrong reasons (money, jobs, food).

I'd love to have an Ārya Samāj conversion ceremony. :D

illykitty

RF's pet cat
What 'Ism' you were born into?

Hmmm hard to say. I was baptised but nothing religious happened afterwards. My father is basically an agnostic and my mother believes in God but she doesn't really belong to any religion. So I didn't grow up in an "ism" kind of environment... I was quite atheistic growing up.

Btw, sorry was busy lately, read some more (finished the Bhagavad Gita-it was such a pleasure to read it, I adore Krishna) and I didn't see your reply.

I visited a Muslim community center, read some more and asked questions-to both sisters and myself-meditated and pondered.. I think I came to the conclusion that it's not for me but I have a high respect for it and perhaps envy how devoted Muslims are.

I don't really know what to read next. I always feel lost and dizzy from all of the options... I tried to pray but I never seem to get answers.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Did you ever manage to visit a Hindu or Sikh place of worship?

If you like Krishna, then visiting the Hindu place of worship would be good for you, even using the telephone to ask for a chat may be worthwhile.

Regarding prayer, it doesn't seem to come for seekers through immediate answers; usually it's process of elimination and it can be quite a tiring process. Try telephoning ones nearby for advice. :)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Did you ever manage to visit a Hindu or Sikh place of worship?

No haven't had time to do it yet.

If you like Krishna, then visiting the Hindu place of worship would be good for you, even using the telephone to ask for a chat may be worthwhile.

Yeah, I'll look into it. Hinduism is very interesting for sure, I feel such pleasure reading about it but I'll have to figure out if it's just a bit of interest or going deeper than that.

Regarding prayer, it doesn't seem to come for seekers through immediate answers; usually it's process of elimination and it can be quite a tiring process. Try telephoning ones nearby for advice. :)

I was affraid that was the case... Well I have a long road ahead! I'll look into visiting the Sikh temple soon and there's one Hare Krishna place nearby as well. It'll probably have to be late this month or the next because marriage anniversary is coming up, so I'll be busy! :D

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
hi illykitty, i read your OP it does sound contradictory, that usually comes from an undecided mind, i go through that a lot non-religious wise.

regarding your thoughts about islam, what is the biggest obstacle standing in your way, you have mentioned the interfaith marriage thing with your husband being irreligious, (may he be religious one day god willing) etc. are you in need of knowledge in order to make the right decision, or are you just undecided due to liking different aspects of the religions you have mentioned.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I don't really know what to read next. I always feel lost and dizzy from all of the options... I tried to pray but I never seem to get answers.

since you believe that God exists - doesn't matter if it's the one that muslims believe in, that which hindus believe in etc - you should ask God to show you the correct faith. i will post the following video for you to watch rather than have me write you a lecture on how this stuff works, btw i love this video i have watched it so many times that i know the exact words he is going to say.

[youtube]CcxzIE4xxrI[/youtube]
{Funny} Aussie convert story to Islam - YouTube

illykitty

RF's pet cat
regarding your thoughts about islam, what is the biggest obstacle standing in your way, you have mentioned the interfaith marriage thing with your husband being irreligious, (may he be religious one day god willing) etc. are you in need of knowledge in order to make the right decision, or are you just undecided due to liking different aspects of the religions you have mentioned.

Well it is one of the biggest, along with not being sure it is right for me, having trouble understanding certain aspects or unsure if I believe it or not... The many changes are quite daunting too. I know my husband will never be religious, he hates it and he is apprehensive about some Islamic things that I understand (modesty, for example) no matter how many times I explain it (nicely and when he asks it) or make him read articles. He knows I wouldn't cover around him and close familly, but he likes to see hair, that's all he tells me as reason.

But I think I came to the conclusion that perhaps due to all the difficulties and such perhaps it is not for me. I read about Islam more than any other religion and I think it's a matter of being undecided and obstacles that quite frankly scare me. I really like Islam but I seem to always stumble when it comes to it.

But I have a habbit of changing my mind a lot... Perhaps because I don't trust myself of making a right decision. :run:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No haven't had time to do it yet.
No worries. :)

Yeah, I'll look into it. Hinduism is very interesting for sure, I feel such pleasure reading about it but I'll have to figure out if it's just a bit of interest or going deeper than that.
I get what you mean. Hinduism is a big, colourful and diverse faith, so there is a lot to enjoy with it. :)

I was affraid that was the case... Well I have a long road ahead! I'll look into visiting the Sikh temple soon and there's one Hare Krishna place nearby as well. It'll probably have to be late this month or the next because marriage anniversary is coming up, so I'll be busy! :D
Awesome. Let us know how it goes, and happy anniversary! :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Well it is one of the biggest, along with not being sure it is right for me, having trouble understanding certain aspects or unsure if I believe it or not... The many changes are quite daunting too. I know my husband will never be religious, he hates it and he is apprehensive about some Islamic things that I understand (modesty, for example) no matter how many times I explain it (nicely and when he asks it) or make him read articles. He knows I wouldn't cover around him and close familly, but he likes to see hair, that's all he tells me as reason.

But I think I came to the conclusion that perhaps due to all the difficulties and such perhaps it is not for me. I read about Islam more than any other religion and I think it's a matter of being undecided and obstacles that quite frankly scare me. I really like Islam but I seem to always stumble when it comes to it.

But I have a habbit of changing my mind a lot... Perhaps because I don't trust myself of making a right decision. :run:

yes it can be very difficult sometimes to make the change but the change doesn't have to be 100% and in one day, in the Qur'an Allah states this:

Chapter 2 verse 286

"Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned......."

even the Prophet himself pbuh didn't make the change 100% and in one day it took about 23 years for the revelation to finish thus completing the religion as it says in this verse:

Chapter 5 verse 3

"....This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion......"

as for your husband i cannot give you any specific examples of what you should do other than constantly talk to him about the veil and asking him so you can try it on and if he ends up not liking it then work something out if you are not constant in something you will eventually give it up, Prophet Muhammed pbuh has said that the most beloved action in the sight of Allah is that which a servant is constant in. but always be gentle about it as the following verse and hadith say:

chapter 16 verse 125

"Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance."

Narrated Jarir bin 'Abdullah: "Allah's Apostle said, 'Allah will not be merciful to those who are not merciful to mankind.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, ONENESS, UNIQUENESS OF ALLAH (TAWHEED), Volume 9, Book 93, Number 473)"

two days ago on firday i was faced with something rather weird, i had to either choose my job and not go to the friday prayer or quit my job and go to pray, so i ended up quiting my job, but then the weirdest thing happened lol.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well I'll revive my thread to say that I just took a belief o matic test today, being 100% honest with myself. My top results were these:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
  2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
  3. Hinduism (88%)
  4. Liberal Quakers (87%)
  5. Mahayana Buddhism (85%)
  6. New Age (83%)
  7. Sikhism (80%)
  8. Jainism (78%)
  9. Reform Judaism (76%)
  10. New Thought (72%)
I'm quite liberal and find a great importance in nature and I think God manifests in all. Islam was at 18th place and only 47%. It's just too different from the way I think, I wish I could convince myself but I think that would make me a hypocrite. I'd rather be honest.

I'm going to re-look into these.

Renji

I feel like I'm having a double life! How can I solve this annoying conflict? Is there any meaning in my constant dreams? Or am I overthinking?
retarded.gif
I think it would help if you can find some quite time with yourself and think: What do I really want? Do I really want to be a Muslim (or something like that)? And, what do I like about it?...

As a Catholic, I don't limit myself to my own beliefs. I try to explore other "faiths" out there that I'm interested with and try to explore about them, So I guess it can also help if you try to explore and try to see the different "faces" of particular religions you're interested with... But yeah, in my case, I have my own reasons of why I remain Catholic.

Btw, I think I'm already late in responding to this. :D

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Nah everyone's input is helpful, "late" or not, really, my mind takes a LONG time to make up and I often change my mind because of new info, reconsideration, change of perspectives, etc!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Are there any branches of Neo-Paganism you like?

What do you like about each of the religions? Which have you prayed/meditated/pondered over?
And, of course, can you see yourself as one?

What is it you like about Mahayana Buddhism, and Quakers?

Pretty much everyone gets UU, but as you're in the UK, they're not really here unfortunately. I'd not worry too much about them. I tend to ignore them in my list because it's such a common appearance in the religious list, and UUs are so varied.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Well I'll revive my thread to say that I just took a belief o matic test today, being 100% honest with myself. My top results were these:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
  2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
  3. Hinduism (88%)
  4. Liberal Quakers (87%)
  5. Mahayana Buddhism (85%)
  6. New Age (83%)
  7. Sikhism (80%)
  8. Jainism (78%)
  9. Reform Judaism (76%)
  10. New Thought (72%)
I'm quite liberal and find a great importance in nature and I think God manifests in all. Islam was at 18th place and only 47%. It's just too different from the way I think, I wish I could convince myself but I think that would make me a hypocrite. I'd rather be honest.

I'm going to re-look into these.

all the best to you illykitty, keep us informed on how you go.

Renji

Nah everyone's input is helpful, "late" or not, really, my mind takes a LONG time to make up and I often change my mind because of new info, reconsideration, change of perspectives, etc!

Cool then. Well good luck with the soul searching.;)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
There's a problem I encountered today while reflecting.

I search religions so much, I like many of them for different reasons but I haven't any pull or call to any of them. The only religion I felt that sort of feeling before is Islam. Sometimes I wonder if I'm resisting what I should be.

For example, I like Dharmic religions a lot, especially Hinduism. It fits with many of my beliefs, and I really like Krishna and the texts move me but I don't feel the call!

Ugh! Back to square one! >_<'