• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Necessary Being: Exists? - Mainly addressing atheists

firedragon

Veteran Member
This thread will be directly relevant to atheists, yet also maybe to all theists and those who call themselves agnostic.

If you are an atheist and you are reading this post, what is your epistemic position on this topic? Does a necessary being exist?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This thread will be directly relevant to atheists, yet also maybe to all theists and those who call themselves agnostic.

If you are an atheist and you are reading this post, what is your epistemic position on this topic? Does a necessary being exist?

The only "necessary" being is Me.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm not really sure I understand the question. If by necessary you mean without it no other being would exist then the answer is no. Also depends on what you mean by being, I'm assuming human with my answer.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I can't speak for atheists, but perhaps it would help to explain what a necessary being is, and what it is necessary for, or at least to reference a page explaining that in english so that we have some background to your question.

In my opinion.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I can't speak for atheists, but perhaps it would help to explain what a necessary being is, and what it is necessary for, or at least to reference a page explaining that in english so that we have some background to your question.

In my opinion.

Sure no problem. I left it with out an explanation to make it exploratory. And one could very very easily read up on the internet.

Nevertheless, a Necessary being has a fundamental definition of that this being does not exist and will not exist in any other way. All other beings can exist in other ways that it is already existing as. Thus that makes the necessary being necessary. It has to exist for other beings to exist, and will not exist in any other way but as it is.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A being is John defined as "anything that exists". Thats in philosophical terms.

John defined lol, maybe we should create a new word, johnsplaining. Anything that exists makes it very broad question. Life on earth wouldn't survive without the sun. Probably wouldn't even survive without the moon to hold the earth steady. We might even need the black hole in the middle of the milky way to prevent the galaxy being chaotic. So with the new definition I'd say yes.

QuestioningMind

I suppose it's within the realm of possibility, but I see no necessity for any kind of a 'necessary' being. And if indeed the answer to the question what caused the Big Bang is some mysterious necessary being that can't be defined measured or quantified in any manner, then it doesn't really provide any real answers. Attempting to answer one mystery with an even bigger mystery is no answer at all. Better to be honest and simply say we don't know and accept that it's quite possible that we'll never know.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Everything is necessary. Or, at least, there is no logical evidence of contingent things.
Therefore yes. I, for instance, am a necessary being. My spider, and the bacteria in my gut, are necessary beings, too,

Ciao

- viole

firedragon

Veteran Member
Because in my opinion no one has presented a reasonable argument for why such a being would be necessary.

Who's arguments have you read so far. you are making an absolute claim. Have you read every piece of philosophical argument on the subject since time immemorial?

Lets see. At least could you give several philosophers argument and why you think it's not reasonable.

Nimos

Not 100% sure I understand the question or full argument either.

But correct me if I got it wrong, but basically what you mean is something like this right? (Not related to evolution, just used as an example)

For a thing to exist, lets say a chicken, we can't have a chicken produce a chicken. Meaning the first chicken must have come or developed from something that we wouldn't refer to as a chicken as we know it, and this thing would equally have come from another being etc. And as we continue going back, something have or could exist, which had no first cause but is a necessary being from which all other beings or things came from. Whether they are atoms, lifeforms or whatever.

Is that correct or did I misunderstand it?

If I got it right, I have myself played with the idea, mostly in regards to the multiverse idea, because I do not think that it explain what the cause is for these multiverses is in the first place. So even though one could reach the conclusion that if enough Universes were created eventually we could find one like ours, it do however not seem to explain where those came from in the first place.

In that regard, I played with the idea that this necessary "being" is existences it self, whatever such thing might be. Simply because it is the most simple state something can be in. Either something exist or it doesn't.
And given that something exist rather nothing, it could be the foundation from which everything else comes from, because it contain everything and it is impossible to create existences itself, because it is a state rather than a thing. If nothing (true nothing) existed, obviously there would be nothing to bring anything into existences.

But if existences as a state is true, then its in a state of "is" or it is in a state of "Is not" there are no other possibilities. However I do not see a need for this to be an actual being rather than something else. Because if it is a being and such thing is intelligent, have emotions etc. It is no longer a simple thing, but a rather complex and guided thing and to me it seems unlikely that such being would be the default or necessary being. Simply due to that. I personally prefer the most simple explanation, which is that it is unguided and without purpose, intentions, feelings or intelligence behind it.

It is merely a state from which all other things exist in or are brought into existence from as a result. Meaning that however this might work, it will not make humans in their final forms come into existences, but whatever building blocks we might find in the Universe or Universes would be a result of what this existence is capable of, so even atoms etc. might not be the foundation, but also merely a result of what the existence is capable of.

In that regard, I could buy into the idea of a necessary being, but I don't buy it as a complex God being.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Sure no problem. I left it with out an explanation to make it exploratory. And one could very very easily read up on the internet.

Nevertheless, a Necessary being has a fundamental definition of that this being does not exist and will not exist in any other way. All other beings can exist in other ways that it is already existing as. Thus that makes the necessary being necessary. It has to exist for other beings to exist, and will not exist in any other way but as it is.
Its interesting, but I think it relies on a non-sequitur.

To give you an example of what I mean, the unique genetic combination that made up my parents was necessary to make the unique genetic combination that is me.

But my parents continue to exist in other ways that what they did at my formation, for example they have aged.

So even though my logic skills are not due to formal training I think I can definitely identify that for a being to be necessary it does not logically follow that it will not continue to exist in other ways.

Is that what you mean when you say a necessary being can't exist in other ways (for example it can't age?).

In my opinion.