• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NDEs and ADCs: Awesome Verifications

Berserk

This thread will initially focus on unique evidence from 5 categories of NDEs (Near-Death Experiences) and ADCs (After-Death Communications):
(1) ADCs in which the Dead Drive a Vehicle to Help or Comfort the Percipient
(2) Artifacts Left as Evidence by the Deceased
(3) Shared NDEs and ADCs (Dr. Raymond Moody's New Research)
(4) Encounters with Unknown Deceased People Whose Identity Is Later Verified
(5) Other Forms of Paranormal Verifications of NDEs

(1a) Most of you recall actor Telly Savalas, who starred as a tough detective in the TV series Kojak and had roles on several movies. Telly unexectedly experienced the most remarkable kind of ADC. A man came back from the dead, driving a vehicle, and helped Telly get gas for his empty tank. Here is Telly's account:

My friend Leonard Sleight had a similar encounter with his late son Jeff and Jeff's wife Karen, shortly after they and their two children were killed in a small place crash. I will share Leonard's testimony in my next post.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My wife's best friend kicked me in the back a couple of weeks after she passed. We had always had a playfully adversarial relationship for years, so I knew who was kicking me and why; any other manifestation would have been written off. She was letting me know she was ok so I could tell my wife. If you're interested I'll tell you about the light globes that circled my mother-in-law the night before she passed. We have them on video.

Berserk

(1b) Leonard was a wealthy retired construction baron and a member of the United Methodist church I pastored in the late 1990s in western New York. We became friends and I sometimes had dinner with him and his wife Helen when I paid him a visit. He was always worried about the health problems of family members, whom I accordingly visited. One Sunday, he asked me if I'd be willing to visit his dying cousin who lived across the highway from him. His cousin was an atheist recluse, who was dying of lung cancer, but wanted no visitors. But he was so depressed that Leonard wanted me to drop by to discuss whether we should intrude on him anyway to show that we about his suffering. When I arrived at Leonard's house, he was absent due to a shopping errand in town.

As I stood, talking to Helen, this thought struck me: Leonard was a real worry wart; yet he never seemed to grieve the loss of his son Jeff, Jeff's wife Karen, and their 2 children in a small plance crash. For some reason, I mentioned this perception to Helen and was intrigued by her reply. She said that Leonard's grieving had been healed by a postmortem encounter with Jeff, adding, "But he doesn't like to talk about it." The next time I met Leonard I was overcome with curiosity and asked if he'd be willing to talk about his ADC. Leonard seemed very uncomfortable with my intrusive request because he thought Id think he was crazy. This is the story he shared with me.

After the funerals, Leonard was about to drive Jeff's old pickup truck to town to do some errands. As he approached the end of his driveway, he saw someone's figure suddenly loom out of the ditch by the highway. To Leonard's dismay, it was his late son Jeff! Jeff walked up to the pickup and asked, "Can I take my old truck for a spin for old times' sake?" A numb Leonard complied and off Jeff drove north down Cty. Rte. 40 towards Rochester, NY. Jeff's conversation with his Dad had at least 2 purposes: (a) to reassure his Dad that he, his wife, and his kids were all together and OK; (b) to give Leonard the information he needed to tie up the loose ends of Jeff's investment history. After driving a couple of miles, Jeff inexplicably turned right onto a less traveled highway. After a few minutes, he stopped the pickup, turned to his Dad, and said, "I'm sorry, Dad, but I'm not permitted to drive any further." Leonard never learned who was orchestrating this ADC. God? An Angel? Then Jeff got out of the pickup, walked towards a clump of trees, and vanished.

This ADC left Leonard in a state of shock. In retrospect, it now seemed like an odd dream and his grief was not assuaged by the experience. In fact, the next day, he was so overcome with grief that he went for a walk down the path in the woods behind his house. At some point, he sat on a log, overcome with sorrow. Suddenly, he heard the sound of a twig or branch breaking. When he looked up, there stood Jeff's wife Karen. She gently scolded him: "Didn't we tell you we are together and OK? You get back in the house with Mom and comfort her!" This second ADC healed Leonard's grief.

After sharing this experience, Leonard had a pained expression on his face as he gazed at my skeptical expression. I apologized that I was just having trouble processing such an incredible story. I felt badly because it was I who had pressed him to share a story he was reluctant to tell. I asked him if he had shared these ADCs with his daughters, and he replied, "No, they'd find it too hard to believe just like you." Leonard recently passed away, and I learned that a daughter shared this ADCs at his funeral. So coming out of the closet, as it were, with me seems to have emboldened him to tell his daughters.

Leonard's ADCs are the most supoermatural experiences I have ever heard from someone I know well. Yet this story does not inspire me as much as other paranormal experiences I have either had or encountered. I think the reason for this is that these ADCs are far more disanalogous to my ordinary life experience.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing @Berserk . I have heard multiple similar type experiences from people in my circle of acquaintances. I wonder why such evidence appearing again and again, would not have more effect on our cultural psyche. Mainstream opinion does not believe in life after death for evidentiary reasons. Beliefs based on religious views seem more dominant. Among the non-religious there is a great amount of disbelief in life after death. Having pondered this awhile I think some of the reasons are:

1) The failing respect for Abrahamic religions. Things like life-after-death and religion are so often wedded in many peoples minds that one almost implies the other.

2) Our brains are evolved to eliminate outlying events and disqualify them from forming rules.

Berserk

My wife's best friend kicked me in the back a couple of weeks after she passed. We had always had a playfully adversarial relationship for years, so I knew who was kicking me and why; any other manifestation would have been written off. She was letting me know she was ok so I could tell my wife. If you're interested I'll tell you about the light globes that circled my mother-in-law the night before she passed. We have them on video.

Thanks for opsting. Yes, both experiences have several precedents and please elaborate if you wish. I'm surely interested.

George, I think people are enslaved by the tyranny of standard expectations, even devout Christians who believe in miracles. What they can embrace as miracles seems limited by standard miracle reports in their church circles. Any paranormal reports that defy their expectations meet with skepticism, as do miracle claims that happen to people whoaw beliefs significantly clash with their own.

In Christian circles, one of our greatest problems is repressed unbelief. For Christians, it is politically correct to believe in the power prayer to work miracles, but if a particular prayer group reports amazing healings and other miracles in response to their prayer vigils, Christians will thank you for sharing such testimonies, but very few would even consider joining such a group themselves to pray for sick and needy loved ones. In my view, when it comes right down to it, most of them are unaware that they don't really believe what they profess to believe!

Berserk

(3a) I've decided to temporarily skip NDE type (2) and post examples of the most evidentially compelling type of NDE--shared death experiences. Dr. Raymond Moody has co-authored a new book of this type and indeed has experienced a shared NDE at his own mother's passing:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...39ED7A4DC705FEC6705639ED7A4DC705FEC&FORM=VIRE

Such shared NDEs decisively refute efforts to explain away NDEs on the basis of hallucinations of the dying brain triggered by oxygen deprivation and imply how primitive materialistic science really is by virtue of its failure to take spiritual dimensions into account.

Berserk

(3b) A UNIQUE SHARED NDE:

Albert Baldeo was a friend of my Uncle Larry. Perhaps he was also the most universally respected pastor in Kelowna, BC, Canada--so well respected that he was given a weekly column in the local newspaper. In one column he shared this shared NDE, an NDE which I confirmed in a private conversation with him. Albert died a few years ago.

Albert's father lay dying in a nursing home. Suddenly he sat up, gazed intently at some invisible person, and shouted, "Hurry up, brother! Hurry up!" Within a few seconds he passed away. Albert noted the exact time of death--11:45 AM on Tuesday. Unknown to Albert, his Dad's brother was also dying in a nursing home 10 miles away in the presence of loved ones. Just before he died, he sat up and shouted, ""Wait for my, brother! Wait for me!" When he then passed away, loved ones noted the time--11:45 AM, Tuesday. Yes, both brothers died at the same time and had a conversation which only makes sense and can only be pieced together when family members shared notes from both nursing homes. Apparently, as these brothers were detaching from their bodies, their center of consciousness was in a nonspatial realm which allowed them to converse, even though they were physically 10 miles apart.

George-ananda

Premium Member
George, I think people are enslaved by the tyranny of standard expectations, even devout Christians who believe in miracles. What they can embrace as miracles seems limited by standard miracle reports in their church circles. Any paranormal reports that defy their expectations meet with skepticism, as do miracle claims that happen to people whoaw beliefs significantly clash with their own.
I agree. To me though, miracle/paranormal event are absolutely essential in giving a greater purpose and reason for spirituality. Without any indication of any such things, I think a materialist view of the universe would be what is supported by the evidence. The universe would quickly become a less interesting place for me and my motivation for it all would wane to little motivation or concern.

Berserk

George, I agree; and that is why shared NDEs are so compelling as faith-inducing anecdotes, especially when they involve materializations of physical objects or plants. These materializations illustrate a way to challenge the scientific dogma that you can't gain something material from nothing at all. My next few posts will document some physical "materialization" cases.

(3c) My first example doubles as a shared ADC, akin to the shared NDEs reported in my posted Youtube video on Dr. Moody's research. The quotation below is taken from "Lighted Passage (1950)," a book authored by Presbyterian minister, Howell Vincent, whose daughter Rae and her new husband Herbert were killed on their honeymoon in a car accident. The book mostly deals with his daughter Rae's life, and the ADC irecounted on p. 25 would hardly be expected from a Presbyterian minister. The ADC is as miraculous as Leonard's ride with his deceased son, Jeff, and is reminiscent of the shared Resurrection appearances of Jesus in the Gospels. I recount only one of Rae's 2 ADCs:

"On at least two occasions this radiant mother (Nellie) had come to Rea in visible, tangible form and talked with her. In 1933, I was privileged to be present at one of these heavenly visits by Mother Nellie. Together with Rea, I talked with Nellie, fully recognizing her face and form and voice. I saw her place her hand on Rea's head in blessing, and I saw her give Rea a flower, a calendula, which we pressed and kept. At that time three other members of our family were present, including Rea's second mother, Agnes, and they all saw Nellie and talked with her, as Rea and I did. We were all wide awake and walked about the room with Nellie (p. 25)."

The book was mailed to me by an agnostic friend, Roger, who works for a large Federal government agency. Roger in turn received the book from a co-worker who is a relative of Rev. Howell Vincent. Though still an agnostic, Roger's skepticism was shaken to the core by this book.

Roger and I became friendly on another website and he is the only poster I have met personally. I drove up from Buffalo, NY, to Fort Erie, Ontario to spend an afternoon with him. He took me to a wooded area where, as an 8-year-old, he had an experience very similar to an ADC. He and his young friend were looking for pollywogs near woods, when a stranger approached them, wrapped his arm in a choke hold around Roger's neck, and began dragging him into the woods. Just then, a women in a red dress appeared out of nowhere nearby and asked, "Is there a problem here?" She spooked the man and he released his grip and ran to his truck. When Roger turned to thank the woman, she had vanished, apparently dematerializing It was a long walk from her convertible to Roger; so she didn't have time to span that distance and get in her car. Roger feels compelled to view this as a guardian angel sent to save his life. What frustrates me is that this experience and Howell Vincent's ADC seem insufficient to dislodge Roger from his agnosticism.

George-ananda

Premium Member
George, I agree; and that is why shared NDEs are so compelling as faith-inducing anecdotes, especially when they involve materializations of physical objects or plants. These materializations illustrate a way to challenge the scientific dogma that you can't gain something material from nothing at all. My next few posts will document some physical "materialization" cases.

(3c) My first example doubles as a shared ADC, akin to the shared NDEs reported in my posted Youtube video on Dr. Moody's research. The quotation below is taken from "Lighted Passage (1950)," a book authored by Presbyterian minister, Howell Vincent, whose daughter Rae and her new husband Herbert were killed on their honeymoon in a car accident. The book mostly deals with his daughter Rae's life, and the ADC irecounted on p. 25 would hardly be expected from a Presbyterian minister. The ADC is as miraculous as Leonard's ride with his deceased son, Jeff, and is reminiscent of the shared Resurrection appearances of Jesus in the Gospels. I recount only one of Rae's 2 ADCs:

"On at least two occasions this radiant mother (Nellie) had come to Rea in visible, tangible form and talked with her. In 1933, I was privileged to be present at one of these heavenly visits by Mother Nellie. Together with Rea, I talked with Nellie, fully recognizing her face and form and voice. I saw her place her hand on Rea's head in blessing, and I saw her give Rea a flower, a calendula, which we pressed and kept. At that time three other members of our family were present, including Rea's second mother, Agnes, and they all saw Nellie and talked with her, as Rea and I did. We were all wide awake and walked about the room with Nellie (p. 25)."
I personally don't even need further evidence of materializations. I am a student also of Satya Sai Baba.
What frustrates me is that this experience and Howell Vincent's ADC seem insufficient to dislodge Roger from his agnosticism.
I feel you frustration and have thought about it. I think it is a human trait to not accept the paranormal (strongest among so-called left-brain dominant types). Paranormal experiences are kind of like a cancer to their normal world-view. Like an alien cell their mind soon quarantines the experience and once quarantined, the mind can eat it away with 'so-called rational:rolleyes:' thought.