• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NC School Allows Christian Preachers to Target Kids During Lunch Hour

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
They had Deist mindsets, which was common after the Enlightenment. They were educated and learned, using logic and reason. They weren't hick fundies. The fundamentalist movement was 100 years off yet.
No. Not by any scope of understanding.

Religious Affiliation of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence

Episcopalians, Quakers, Catholics, Presbyterians were not Deist's unless otherwise stated

the problem, as I see it, is that you are simply quoting what you have heard with no real investigation on what is truth.

Kenny

Premium Member
Do your homework. That's also when the Schofield heresy took off and Christian Zionism came into being. NO old school Baptist would have EVER considered Hal Lindsey anything but a charlatan.
Please take a class on Christian History. And please define, in you mind, what the difference is between fundamentalism means vs a new view on what the interpretation of the Bible is.

Remember.... just because you say so doesn't make it true.

sooda

Veteran Member
Please take a class on Christian History. And please define, in you mind, what the difference is between fundamentalism means vs a new view on what the interpretation of the Bible is.

Schofield had NO religion training and wrote his Bible in less than six months. He was paid by Samuel Untermyer who also published the Schofield Bible and was the leading Zionist in the US.

Kenny

Premium Member
Schofield had NO religion training and wrote his Bible in less than six months. He was paid by Samuel Untermyer who also published the Schofield Bible and was the leading Zionist in the US.

Wrong logic when you say:

Schofield is the author of fundamentalism vs
Schofield was wrong but also was a fundamentalist.

So, for the readers sake (and maybe yours), maybe you should define fundamentalism

sooda

Veteran Member
Wrong logic when you say:

Schofield is the author of fundamentalism vs
Schofield was wrong but also was a fundamentalist.

So, for the readers sake (and maybe yours), maybe you should define fundamentalism

Schofield was also a convicted felon.. He founded the Dallas Theological Seminary and they have been turning out uneducated preachers ever since.

Christian fundamentalism - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
Christian fundamentalism
. Christian fundamentalism began in the late 19th and early 20th centuries among British and American Protestants as a reaction to theological liberalism and cultural modernism. Fundamentalists argued that 19th-century modernist theologians had …

Kenny

Premium Member
Schofield was also a convicted felon.. He founded the Dallas Theological Seminary and they have been turning out uneducated preachers ever since.

Christian fundamentalism - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
Christian fundamentalism
. Christian fundamentalism began in the late 19th and early 20th centuries among British and American Protestants as a reaction to theological liberalism and cultural modernism. Fundamentalists argued that 19th-century modernist theologians had …
1) Wikipedia is not an acceptable source as anybody can add whatever they want and add whatever their bias is.

2) Even dictionaries change definitions as time goes by reflecting current "thought" which may not reflect correctly the history thereof

3) noun - an adherent of fundamentalism, a religious movement characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of religious texts - dictionary.com (notice it has nothing to do with century)

4) If you want to use "fundamentalism" correctly, it could be referred to the whole of the Protestant movement. It could be referred to the creation of the Catholic Church in their literal interpretation of Communion.

So, as I said, fundamentalism is not "Schofield" although he may be a fundamentalist in his personal beliefs.

To quote Britanica.com: A third objection is that the significant negative connotations of the term fundamentalism—usually including bigotry, zealotry, militancy, extremism, and fanaticism—make it unsuitable as a category of scholarly analysis. BUT, you can be a fundamentalism and not be bigoted, militant etc.

There may have been a fundamentalist approach during the Dust Bowl... but it is hardly the creator of fundamentalism.

One could even argue that Jesus was a fundamentalist and it doesn't mean that he was wrong.

sooda

Veteran Member
1) Wikipedia is not an acceptable source as anybody can add whatever they want and add whatever their bias is.

2) Even dictionaries change definitions as time goes by reflecting current "thought" which may not reflect correctly the history thereof

3) noun - an adherent of fundamentalism, a religious movement characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of religious texts - dictionary.com (notice it has nothing to do with century)

4) If you want to use "fundamentalism" correctly, it could be referred to the whole of the Protestant movement. It could be referred to the creation of the Catholic Church in their literal interpretation of Communion.

So, as I said, fundamentalism is not "Schofield" although he may be a fundamentalist in his personal beliefs.

To quote Britanica.com: A third objection is that the significant negative connotations of the term fundamentalism—usually including bigotry, zealotry, militancy, extremism, and fanaticism—make it unsuitable as a category of scholarly analysis. BUT, you can be a fundamentalism and not be bigoted, militant etc.

There may have been a fundamentalist approach during the Dust Bowl... but it is hardly the creator of fundamentalism.

One could even argue that Jesus was a fundamentalist and it doesn't mean that he was wrong.

Christian fundamentalism | American Protestant movement ...
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christian-fundamentalism
Christian fundamentalism
, movement in American Protestantism that arose in the late 19th century in reaction to theological modernism, which aimed to revise traditional Christian beliefs to accommodate new developments in the natural and social sciences, especially the theory of biological evolution.

Jesus wasn't a fundamentalist.. He taught in parables which required thought.

Kenny

Premium Member
Christian fundamentalism | American Protestant movement ...
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christian-fundamentalism
Christian fundamentalism
, movement in American Protestantism that arose in the late 19th century in reaction to theological modernism, which aimed to revise traditional Christian beliefs to accommodate new developments in the natural and social sciences, especially the theory of biological evolution.

Jesus wasn't a fundamentalist.. He taught in parables which required thought.
Only in your erroneous definition. Jesus WAS a fundamentalist, a radical of his times, zealous after the Father.

Please note the definition: If Protestantism arose "in reaction to theological modernism" then, fundamentalism was always around. It was liberalism that accentuated what had been for CENTURIES... ever since Jesus. Jesus came AGAINST the liberal interpretation of the Law

sooda

Veteran Member
Only in your erroneous definition. Jesus WAS a fundamentalist, a radical of his times, zealous after the Father.

Please note the definition: If Protestantism arose "in reaction to theological modernism" then, fundamentalism was always around. It was liberalism that accentuated what had been for CENTURIES... ever since Jesus. Jesus came AGAINST the liberal interpretation of the Law

Fundamentalism was a reaction to modernity.. Do you think Jesus would have denounced biology or seen it as a threat to faith? How about woman's suffrage or contraception? You think he would have opposed the Salk vaccine?

Kenny

Premium Member
Fundamentalism was a reaction to modernity.. Do you think Jesus would have denounced biology or seen it as a threat to faith? How about woman's suffrage or contraception? You think he would have opposed the Salk vaccine?

Again... you are making a segment of a certain amount of people the whole. That is erroneous.

AGAIN! "Fundamentalism was a reaction to modernity"... which, what is modern, depends on the time you are living in:

Jesus:
Teaching about Anger
MODERN 21 “You have heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’

FUNDAMENTALISM 22 But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.

Teaching about Adultery
MODERN: 27 “You have heard the commandment that says, ‘You must not commit adultery.

FUNDAMENTALISM ’28 But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Teaching about Divorce
MODERN 31 “You have heard the law that says, ‘A man can divorce his wife by merely giving her a written notice of divorce.’

FUNDAMENTALISM 32 But I say that a man who divorces his wife, unless she has been unfaithful, causes her to commit adultery. And anyone who marries a divorced woman also commits adultery.

Teaching about Vows
MODERN 33 “You have also heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the Lord.’

FUNDAMENTALISM 34 But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. 35 And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. 36 Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. 37 Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.

Teaching about Revenge
MODERN 38 “You have heard the law that says the punishment must match the injury: ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’

FUNDAMENTALISM 39 But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. 40 If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. 41 If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles. 42 Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow.

Teaching about Love for Enemies
MODERN 43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy.

FUNDAMENTALISM44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?

Jesus was a fundamentalist!

Straight forward against modernists and without a parable.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The fourth pillar of Islam, Ramadan fasting, can't be equally followed and adhered to by everybody in the world. Ramadan fasting rules, as written on behalf of Muhammad in the Koran requires dawn to dusk fasting for all healthy Islamic followers worldwide during the month of Ramadan. The dawn to dusk fasting rules as written in the Koran does not apply equally to all persons in all regions. This law can't be applied equally to all regions of the world. The period of sunrise to sunset varies according to the latitude of where a person lives. Therefore, equal periods of day and night don't exist for everybody. Consequently, Ramadan sunrise to sunset fasting can't possibly be followed equally by all healthy Muslims. The length of time required for sunrise to sunset fasting during Ramadan is based solely on a person's geographical location. I think it doesn't make any sense and it's unfair that the amount of Ramadan sunrise to sunset fasting time required for each Muslim is different based solely on the latitude of where the Muslim lives. Because the southern most inhabitants experience very short days during summer month of Ramadan, and they would only be required to fast for a few hours a day. The northern most inhabitants experience daylight throughout the month of Ramadan, and they would die from starvation while fasting for a whole month without food and drink. Nowhere in the Koran is it written that people of the polar regions can break their fast at the time of sunset until sunrise of the country next to them. This law was added later in Islam in order to correct a stupid mistake made.

Most teenagers can understand how the fourth pillar of Islam indicates Muhammed mistakenly thought the world was flat; hence, he had lacked divine inspiration upon authoring the Koran.
Christianity is also chock full of such absurdities, so what's your point?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hmmmm... no. The Supreme Court has said that students CAN bring faith into the school. You don't check out faith at the door and student led faith is a right of the person.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,
Nice try, but that's not what I said at all. The school itself cannot sanction or lead attempts to promote a specific religion above others. Would you want your tax dollars used in attempts to convert kids to Islam or Hinduism?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I wouldn't bother. These people want to believe what they want. Fear keeps them from seeing facts. I remember the fear and paranoia I had for a week just for leaving fundamentalism for mainline christianity. It is a real fear.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

He bumped heads with the conservative religious leaders of his time. He put people before dogma and the leaders hated that. They didn't want to put the last first and first last.

Kenny

Premium Member
Nice try, but that's not what I said at all. The school itself cannot sanction or lead attempts to promote a specific religion above others. Would you want your tax dollars used in attempts to convert kids to Islam or Hinduism?
Are they?