• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NC power stations targeted in likely domestic terror attack

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Add in assassinations, Oklahoma City bombing type attacks and some guerilla warfare and this is how RW militant extremists plan in fighting another civil war.
They've been telling us. They've been warning us. And the rhetoric aming the mainstream has continually for many years now has continually become more extreme.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Only the 2nd post, & it's already about right wing
extremists. Who needs evidence in this case, eh.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The thugs and bully boys are feeling their oats these days in the U. S. thanks to the republican party's total moral collapse in their pursuit of power by any means legal or illegal.
How do you know that? Got any proof? Or are you just shooting crap from the hip cause you simply hate Republicans?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Reading the article, it didn't appear that these power stations were guarded in any way. They didn't say anything about surveillance or any idea who the suspects might be.

It's a national security issue. They need better security on the power grid.
These are substations, not power stations. All they probably have is a couple of step-down transformers and some switchgear, enclosed behind a wire fence. There will thousands of such substations all over the country. It's impractical to guard them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
These are substations, not power stations. All they probably have is a couple of step-down transformers and some switchgear, enclosed behind a wire fence. There will thousands of such substations all over the country. It's impractical to guard them.

Even some surveillance cameras or motion sensors?

As for it being impractical, I see it more as a matter of priorities. It's impractical to believe that we can make the world safe for democracy, yet that's still a major priority of policymakers. It's impractical to engage in a war on drugs, yet we still do that anyway. It's impractical to have security screening at every airport in the country, yet we still do it anyway.

These things listed above are clearly a higher priority, however impractical it may be to expend resources on these policies. Shouldn't protecting the US power grid be a higher priority than some of these other concerns? If the government thinks that pot smokers are a greater threat to US national security than people who would sabotage our power supply, then I would say that's a very impractical, imprudent, and unwise way to evaluate national priorities.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Even some surveillance cameras or motion sensors?

As for it being impractical, I see it more as a matter of priorities. It's impractical to believe that we can make the world safe for democracy, yet that's still a major priority of policymakers. It's impractical to engage in a war on drugs, yet we still do that anyway. It's impractical to have security screening at every airport in the country, yet we still do it anyway.

These things listed above are clearly a higher priority, however impractical it may be to expend resources on these policies. Shouldn't protecting the US power grid be a higher priority than some of these other concerns? If the government thinks that pot smokers are a greater threat to US national security than people who would sabotage our power supply, then I would say that's a very impractical, imprudent, and unwise way to evaluate national priorities.
Surveillance cameras could be put in at low cost, I suppose. Though they wouldn't stop an attack.

The fact remains there are innumerable things that can be sabotaged in a modern technology-dependent society, by someone with sufficient ill will - and GUNS, of course.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only the 2nd post, & it's already about right wing
extremists. Who needs evidence in this case, eh.
As I said, it's how they themselves have been telling us for YEARS it's how they're going to do it. Like when they tell us to read the Turner Diaries. Why ignore them? Power grids have been eyed as targets for destabilizing America for years now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As I said, it's how they themselves have been telling us for YEARS it's how they're going to do it. Like when they tell us to read the Turner Diaries. Why ignore them? Power grids have been eyed as targets for destabilizing America for years now.
Got all the evidence you need to be
sure it was a right winger attack, eh.
OK.
You might be right.
But you might be wrong too.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Surveillance cameras could be put in at low cost, I suppose. Though they wouldn't stop an attack.

The fact remains there are innumerable things that can be sabotaged in a modern technology-dependent society, by someone with sufficient ill will - and GUNS, of course.

I would say the power grid and the equipment which makes it work should be a higher, if not the highest, priority. Without electricity, it's "game over" across the board.

Another high priority would be energy supplies, especially delivery of gas/diesel. I recall a number of years ago when the Phoenix metro area lost about 70% of its gasoline supplies due to a pipeline rupture which took about two weeks to repair. They trucked in as much gas as they could, but it still was quite a mess, with long lines at the gas pumps and violence breaking out in some instances.

Previous blackouts in the northeast led to utter chaos within just a few hours.

I don't know if guns would have been necessary. If guns weren't available, then someone with the knowhow could rig up some sort of explosive device - or just set a fire.