• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nazareth the Spiritual place of [Jesus religion?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Nazareth didn't exist as an active town in Jesus's time.

Nazareth – The Town that Theology Built

The name is probably derived from the idea that Jesus's "roots" / "nazir" were of the seed of David, or that Jesus, like his brother James, took a Nazirite Vow.
That vow involves, for example, having long hair. One of the arguments, that Jesus didn't have long hair, is that they say Jesus either wasn't a Nazarite, or didn't take that vow.

So, do you believe that Jesus is correctly portrayed, with long hair?

Last edited:

steveb1

That vow involves, for example, having long hair. One of the arguments, that Jesus didn't have long hair, is that they say Jesus either wasn't a Nazarite, or didn't take that vow.

So, do you believe that Jesus is correctly portrayed, with long hair?

Difficult to answer without access to time travel. Seems, according to most Gospel accounts, Jesus was too much a partier to be following any strict vows - the Son of Man comes both eating and drinking, etc. Can't tell from Paul either because when he tells his male congregations to wear their hair short, he's talking to Gentile converts, not Jewish Christians. I personally prefer the long-haired / and / bearded Jesus, simply because that's what I'm used to...

Terry Sampson

Nazareth didn't exist as an active town in Jesus's time.
Nazareth – The Town that Theology Built
The name is probably derived from the idea that Jesus's "roots" / "nazir" were of the seed of David, or that Jesus, like his brother James, took a Nazirite Vow.

Thanks for that link. I had never heard of Kenneth Humphreys till just now.
Oh, BTW, you can't believe everything you read.

Nazareth.pdf

Attachments

• The_Quest_for_the_Historical_Nazareth.pdf
    202.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: