• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naturist View

Natureman

Naturalist
do we have free will. this has been a question asked by philosophers and religious scholars for hundreds of years. to the Naturalist, there is no free will. we do what we do because of nature and what environment we grew up in. if i had the same genetics as hitler and grew up the same as Hitler, then i would do the same things hitler did. so free will is something we dont have. our actions and thoughts are influenced by our surroundings.

next time you do something in a different way, think where you got that from, what influenced you to do that. its no you who created that, it was something else that you saw that stuck with you.

I would like to know if any other people think differently.

Beyondo

Hitler became Hitler by more than how he was raised. Hitler was a soldier in WWI, the trench wars. In that hell hole, Hitler, not as a child but as an adult, was formed...

Frank

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Each person individually makes choices that affect their next step.
One change in decision making can change your entire future, thus each person has control of their own destiny.
They just cannot guarantee what each choice will lead to.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It would be difficult to parallel Hitlers life,apart from WWI he did'nt take well to being rejected as an Artist but i agree that our enviroment helps to shape us ,but you have freedom to make choices and it is this that gives us free will IMO.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree that Nature and nurture are influences but I don't think they're the sole determinants of behaviour. We make choices.

Morse

To Extinguish
I agree that Nature and nurture are influences but I don't think they're the sole determinants of behaviour. We make choices.

It would be difficult to parallel Hitlers life,apart from WWI he did'nt take well to being rejected as an Artist but i agree that our enviroment helps to shape us ,but you have freedom to make choices and it is this that gives us free will IMO.

Each person individually makes choices that affect their next step.
One change in decision making can change your entire future, thus each person has control of their own destiny.
They just cannot guarantee what each choice will lead to.

Hitler became Hitler by more than how he was raised. Hitler was a soldier in WWI, the trench wars. In that hell hole, Hitler, not as a child but as an adult, was formed...

Frank

That doesn't rule out the concept of us making choices based on how our environment educates us. If we make choices, but we make those choices because of how our environment has educated us, it isn't free will.

So yes, Hitler may have made choices. But it still isn't free will when those choices have been completely determined by your environment.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not saying environment isn't an influence. I'm saying we're not automatons and can make decisions rationally -- at times.

Morse

To Extinguish
I'm not saying environment isn't an influence. I'm saying we're not automatons and can make decisions rationally -- at times.

We wouldn't know the difference if our actions are controlled by our environment or if they are independent or simply influenced by it. Path A and Path B both look the same, but they were built by different entities. They also both lead to Path C.