• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nature of universe/matter

atanu

Premium Member
Physicalism leads to Hard problem of consciousness. On the other hand, Panpsychism leads to combination problem.

Hard problem of consciousness - Wikipedia

[URL="https://philpapers.org/browse/the-combination-problem-for-panpsychism"]The Combination Problem for Panpsychism - Bibliography - PhilPapers
[/URL]

But let us keep aside these two fatal problems and examine another key problem that many of us might not be aware of.

As per physicalism, the universe is not experiential. Brain-sensual apparatus together create an experiential model of universe for each of us. On this view, in my understanding, we can never know exactly what the universe is like. And it remains a mystery as to how different separated brain systems can have a common view.

Similarly, properties of matter are all dispositional. For example, mass does not say what a matter is. It simply is a relative measure of inertia. Properties, in other words are relational and never reveal the intrinsic nature of matter.

Suppose, physicalism proposes a kind of material monism — that the universe is ontologically constituted of a single material. Or physicalism may propose ontological plurality.

The question is how do we ever come to know the intrinsic nature of singular/plural material, except in way of theory (although that still will not solve the Hard problem of consciousness)?

Open for discussion/debate/mud slinging.:)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Physicalism leads to Hard problem of consciousness. On the other hand, Panpsychism leads to combination problem.

The Combination Problem for Panpsychism - Bibliography - PhilPapers

But let us keep aside these two fatal problems and examine another key problem that many of us might not be aware of.

As per physicalism, the universe is not experiential. Brain-sensual apparatus together create an experiential model of universe for each of us. On this view, in my understanding, we can never know exactly what the universe is like. And it remains a mystery as to how different separated brain systems can have a common view.

Similarly, properties of matter are all dispositional. For example, mass does not say what a matter is. It simply is a relative measure of inertia. Properties, in other words are relational and never reveal the intrinsic nature of matter.

Suppose, physicalism proposes a kind of material monism — that the universe is ontologically constituted of a single material. Or physicalism may propose ontological plurality.

The question is how do we ever come to know the intrinsic nature of singular/plural material, except in way of theory (although that still will not solve the Hard problem of consciousness)?

One can go the Mahayana way and say that there ARE no such thing as intrinsic nature and that all things are relational only.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I can see the conundrum people have when it comes to the material and the conceptual.

I tried to keep in mind that you cannot separate the two because you cannot have one without the other.

Without the physicality of our bodies we cannot have the ability to conceptualize.

Conversely, I don't think you can conceptualize matter into existence.

I tend to think consciousness is a conceptualized form of matter, and is one and the same.

atanu

Premium Member
One can go the Mahayana way and say that there ARE no such thing as intrinsic nature and that all things are relational only.

Two points. First, physicalism actually does not say that.

Second, Mahayana too does not say that. There is nibbana (unborn, unformed, created — that enables the ultimate discernment of freedom) and there is the Buddha nature.

The Madhyamika text is the same as Mandukya Upanishad. — the ultimate truth is shivam advaitam wherein the ‘prapancham’ ( the universe) disappears.

And this ultimate — of ‘no things’ is EXPERIENCED by the highest Buddhist monks. Else the teaching would be a lie.

In physicalism that experience of the ultimate is impossible, since discernment is not the part of the ultimate. The ontology does not include ‘knowing’, which is a product. Therefore experience of ‘sunyata’ of Buddhism or the ‘fullness’ of the advaita, is not a possibility in physicalism.

atanu

Premium Member
I tend to think consciousness is a conceptualized form of matter, and is one and the same.

Ponder over what you said. How can you conceptualise without consciousness?

Is that you exist and are aware is a concept? Or are all concepts based on the fact that you exist as awareness itself?

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member

We may summarise that since we never know the intrinsic nature of matter but only the dispositional-relational aspects, the question of the background which generates the universe of our experiences has to remain ever open.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

As the link says, the "hard problem of consciousness" is controversial. A lot of people don't think there is any such problem. I am with Massimo Pigliucci on this: What Hard Problem? | Issue 99 | Philosophy Now
I don't agree there is a problem at all.

It is a mistake to build an argument on this, as if it were an established fact.

I also think the idea of a search for an "intrinsic nature" of matter or the material world is misguided. It is not the goal of science, at any rate.

We are human beings and, as such, inescapably constrained by our limited ability to perceive the world around us. In science we model the physical world, according to what we can agree (through reproducible observation) we perceive about it, in common. But these models are never the last word. There can always be more to discover. But there must be an objective reality out there to model, or we would never be able to agree on these models.

So it seems to me that our modelling probably approaches an exact representation of reality asymptotically. We get closer and closer but our approximations can never be said to be in exact correspondence with it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ponder over what you said. How can you conceptualise without consciousness?

Is that you exist and are aware is a concept. Or are all concepts based on the fact that you exist as awareness itself?
It does come across as paradoxical but when you consider we are almost entirely made of individual living cells, it creates a tendency to take a look at the question as to whether cells themselves are conscious or not and follow it up as to whether consciousness is really an aggregate of what we call a higher form of consciousness as a single macro-organism or an amazing communication with a more fundamental level of consciousness.

I found this to be very fascinating although I needed a dictionary to understand some of the terminology as this is an academic link.

(Insight into cellular consciousness)

You are being redirected...

To get more on track, I tend to think your question of existence and its relationship with awareness is accurate in terms that we conceptualize our existence yet existence is required in order to conceptualize.

The best way to address consciousness from what I gather is to consider that it might perhaps be a shared phenomena that links the micro with the macro. That consciousness is multifaceted and essentially an aggregate.

To explain it in another way, even if we go to sleep or if we die, our bodies will still be conscious on another fundamental level.

atanu

Premium Member
It is Dennet and Pigliucci that are mystics. The latter in his article says “But once you have answered the how and the why of consciousness, what else is there to say?“.

As if he knows what consciousness is. As if he can derive from basic physics why we have diverse experiences. Instead of writing a philosophical story, let him derive the first party experience from mass, spin, and charge.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It is Dennet and Pigliucci that are mystics. The latter in his article says “But once you have answered the how and the why of consciousness, what else is there to say?“.

As if he knows what consciousness is. As if he can derive from basic physics why we have diverse experiences. Instead of writing a philosophical story, let him derive the first party experience from mass, spin, and charge.

One can't even derive the properties of the iron atom accurately from mass, spin and charge of its components. We chemists get it by approximate methods, because the system is so complex.

This happens all the time in science. It's a myth to think that science insists on some sort of deterministic scheme in which everything can be derived with exactitude from first principles. There are lots of disconnects, or weak links, or approximations, between the models we use at different levels. And there are also lots of examples of "emergent" properties, e.g. the way that temperature is an emergent bulk property of objects, due to the energy of motion of their molecules. Consciousness can be viewed as an emergent property of the operation of the networks of neurons in the brain.

Pigliucci has as much idea of what consciousness is as anyone - and he explains it in the article I linked. He is far from being the only one to think as he does about it. That is why the "hard problem" of consciousness is said to be controversial. It is by no means generally accepted as existing.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Interesting ideas. Hard problem of consciousness is a strange line. Heart problem of consciousness comes closer IMO.

In philosophy of mind, panpsychism is the view that mind or a mind-like aspect is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of reality. It is also described as a theory that "the mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe."
Mind for me is just a "bundle of thoughts", no more no less.
We need common sense, Buddhi (discrimination) and meditation to solve Spiritual "things"

Sai Baba said "Science is below the mind, whereas Spirituality is above the mind"
This makes sense to me, when it comes to understanding Consciousness and other "mysterious things"
Science needs to integrate Spirituality to understand this kind of things IMO.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Open for discussion/debate/mud slinging. :)
Do I understand? Not agreeing with your view-point is mud-slinging?
Start at the beginning (as early as we could go with the current knowledge) - a ball of energy. Energy is signular, material singularness follows. Problem of consciousness is only for people who refuse to accept what science has achieved in the field. It is an attempt at self-confusion.
Ponder over what you said. How can you conceptualize without consciousness?
Yeah, we perceive by brain processing the information provided by our senses. What is the problem in that? That is how even an embryo learns. But you are not satisfied with that. Infusing complications where there is none.
We may summarise that since we never know the intrinsic nature of matter but only the dispositional-relational aspects, the question of the background which generates the universe of our experiences has to remain ever open.
We may not know everything at the moment but science is progressing at an exponential rate. I would not be surprised if we come to know. How can you be predicting failure ever in the future? That is a regressive mind-set.
I also think the idea of a search for an "intrinsic nature" of matter or the material world is misguided. It is not the goal of science, at any rate.
I think to know the intrinsic nature of matter is a scientific goal. All expense and effort at CERN is directed towards that.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

1. You misuse the concept of inertia here.

2. The 'intrinsic nature of matter' is relational. For example, in particle physics, the different fundamental particles are *defined* by how they relate. For example, an electron is a particle with a certain mass, spin, and charge, which says how it interacts with the different force carriers. That *is* its 'nature'.

The search for an 'intrinsic nature' that is different from the relational is, I think, a serious mistake.

As for the rest, I don't think there really *is* a 'hard problem' of consciousness. Consciousness is *also* relational and interactive at base. It is a form of information processing and matter does that quite well.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

They are not absolutely equal. For instance, a daltonic person will literally view the world differently from others. But if the systems are similar, our bodies, wouldn't we expect them to behave similarly?

I don't understand. Why is it a problem to know the intrinsic nature of material only through theory?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Two points. First, physicalism actually does not say that.

Second, Mahayana too does not say that. There is nibbana (unborn, unformed, created — that enables the ultimate discernment of freedom) and there is the Buddha nature.

The Madhyamika text is the same as Mandukya Upanishad. — the ultimate truth is shivam advaitam wherein the ‘prapancham’ ( the universe) disappears.

And this ultimate — of ‘no things’ is EXPERIENCED by the highest Buddhist monks. Else the teaching would be a lie.

In physicalism that experience of the ultimate is impossible, since discernment is not the part of the ultimate. The ontology does not include ‘knowing’, which is a product. Therefore experience of ‘sunyata’ of Buddhism or the ‘fullness’ of the advaita, is not a possibility in physicalism.

There is a distinction between Buddhist philosophy ( like Abhidhamma) and Buddhist sotereology just as there is distinction between Vedic philosophy ( like Nyaya Vaisesika) and Vedic sotereology ( Upanisads) . Here I was talking about Buddhist philosophy which considers the world to be made of momentarily existing dependently originating heaps of dhamma whose properties are only ever relational and empty of essence.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/abhidharma/#AbhExeDhaDha

Ultimately, dharmas are all that there is: all experiential events are understood as arising from the interaction of dharmas. While the analogy of atoms may be useful here, dharmas notably embrace both physical and mental phenomena, and are generally understood as evanescent events, occurrences, or dynamic properties rather than enduring substances.[7] The Abhidharma exegesis thus attempts to provide an exhaustive account of every possible type of experience—every type of occurrence that may possibly present itself in one’s consciousness—in terms of its constituent dharmas. This enterprise involves breaking down the objects of ordinary perception into their constituent, discrete dharmas and clarifying their relations of causal conditioning. The overarching inquiry subsuming both the analysis of dharmas into multiple categories and their synthesis into a unified structure by means of their manifold relationships of causal conditioning is referred to as the “dharma theory

atanu

Premium Member
There is a distinction between Buddhist philosophy ( like Abhidhamma) and Buddhist sotereology just as there is distinction between Vedic philosophy ( like Nyaya Vaisesika) and Vedic sotereology ( Upanisads) . Here I was talking about Buddhist philosophy which considers the world to be made of momentarily existing dependently originating heaps of dhamma whose properties are only ever relational and empty of essence.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/abhidharma/#AbhExeDhaDha

You are correct and actually you do not contradict me. Universe is ‘prapancha’. On this there is no difference between advaita of Mandukya and advaita of Madhyamika (or Buddhism in general).

But the reality beneath that, as per both advaita and Madhyamika, is Shivam advaitam, in which the prapancham disappears.

Some call it shunya — devoid of objects and some call it full (devoid of any partition whatsoever).

But the point is that this ‘ultimate’, both as per Advaita and as per Bhuddhism, is knowable.

In Western philosophy, Kant postulated the ultimate as the Unknowable noumena. Schopenhauer, on the other side, while agreeing with Kant partly, held that the noumena being the core of everyone can be known.

atanu

Premium Member
We need common sense, Buddhi (discrimination) and meditation to solve Spiritual "things"

Sai Baba said "Science is below the mind, whereas Spirituality is above the mind"
This makes sense to me, when it comes to understanding Consciousness and other "mysterious things"
Science needs to integrate Spirituality to understand this kind of things IMO.

Intellect can easily grasp (if a materialistic philosophy is not imposed on it) that nothing that we know can be independent of consciousness, which is the very subject that knows. We cannot say "Look there is consciousness" since this looking involves first-person consciousness. Sai Baba spoke wisdom only.:nose:

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
1. You misuse the concept of inertia here.

2. The 'intrinsic nature of matter' is relational. For example, in particle physics, the different fundamental particles are *defined* by how they relate. For example, an electron is a particle with a certain mass, spin, and charge, which says how it interacts with the different force carriers. That *is* its 'nature'.

The search for an 'intrinsic nature' that is different from the relational is, I think, a serious mistake.

As for the rest, I don't think there really *is* a 'hard problem' of consciousness. Consciousness is *also* relational and interactive at base. It is a form of information processing and matter does that quite well.

Unfounded assertions. Interaction without 'discernment' is not 'knowledge'. Two or billion billiard balls may interact but that is not information unless someone cognises that. But it is good to note that we agree that science deals with dispositions and not with the intrinsic. I disagree, however, that dispositional nature and intrinsic nature are the same. They are not same. But I will not argue on that point here since that is not the subject of the OP.

On other matters, we have gone through the following arguments many times. It seems to me that you read nothing of what I write since you repeat the same unfounded assertions again and again. Have you ever explained how subjective perceptions can be explained by physical parameters? Assertions that go against the grain of direct experiences are characteristic of fundamentalists. And there is not much point in trying to communicate in such a situation. I hope that you will take pains to read the references and respond to the actual points, leaving aside the standard unfounded assertions.

The Hard Problem of consciousness cannot be just wished away. Some physicalists such are Dennet et al are so obsessed with their physicalism that they try to sweep the first-person subjective experiences as ‘illusions’ — forgetting that illusions are subjective perceptions. By calling the first-person subjective experience as an illusion, he validates the existence of the Hard problem for the physicalist worldview.

There is nothing experiential in any of the physical parameters and no one can derive ‘how it feels to see color red’ from the physical parameters or from brain states. Further, it can be safely generalised that (a) all scientific knowledge is based on sense perception, and (b) none the less the scientific views of natural processes formed in this way lack all sensual qualities and therefore cannot account for the latter.

Below, I have reproduced a portion from the writing of Erwin Schrodinger to demonstrate my point. KINDLY READ.

If you ask a physicist what is his idea of yellow light, he will tell you that it is transversal electro-magnetic waves of wavelength in the neighbourhood of 590 millimicrons. If you ask him: But where does yellow come in ? he will say: In my picture not at all, but these kinds of vibrations, when they hit the retina of a healthy eye, give the person whose eye it is the sensation of yellow. ….

We may further ask: Is radiation in the neighbourhood of wave-length 590 /x/x the only one to produce the sensation of yellow? The answer is: Not at all. If waves of 760 /x/x, which by themselves produce the sensation of red, are mixed in a definite proportion with waves of 535 /x/x, which by themselves produce the sensation of green, this mixture produces a yellow that is indistinguishable from the one produced by 590 /x/x. Two adjacent fields illuminated, one by the mixture, the other by the single spectral light, look exactly alike, you cannot tell which is which. Could this be foretold from the wave-lengths— is there a numerical connection with these physical, objective characteristics of the waves? No. Of course, the chart of all mixtures of this kind has been plotted empirically; it is called the colour triangle. But it is not simply connected with the wave-lengths. There is no general rule that a mixture of two spectral lights matches one between them; for example a mixture of ‘ red ’ and ‘ blue ’ from the extremities of the spectrum gives ‘purple’, which is not produced by any single spectral light. Moreover, the said chart, the colour triangle, varies slightly from one person to the other, and differs considerably for some persons, called anomalous trichromates (who are not colour-blind).

The sensation of colour cannot be accounted for by the physicist’s objective picture of light-waves. Could the physiologist account for it, if he had fuller knowledge than he has of the processes in the retina and the nervous processes set up by them in the optical nerve bundles and in the brain ? I do not think so. We could at best attain to an objective knowledge of what nerve fibres are excited and in what proportion, perhaps even to know exactly the processes they produce in certain brain cells—whenever our mind registers the sensation of yellow in a particular direction or domain of our field of vision. But even such intimate knowledge would not tell us anything about the sensation of colour, more particularly of yellow in this direction —the same physiological processes might conceivably result in a sensation of sweet taste, or anything else. I mean to say simply this, that we may be sure there is no nervous process whose objective description includes the characteristic ‘yellow colour ’ or ‘sweet taste ’.

Schrodinger explains in great detail the auditory proves that I have not reproduced. After explaining the auditory process, he further says:

Erwin Schrodinger. “What Is Life?”
I have gone into some detail here. In order to make you feel that neither the physicist’s description, nor that of the physiologist, contains any trait of the sensation of sound. Any description of this kind is bound to end with a sentence like: those nerve impulses are conducted to a certain portion of the brain, where they are registered as a sequence of sounds. We can follow the pressure changes in the air as they produce vibrations of the ear-drum, we can see how its motion is transferred by a chain of tiny bones to another membrane, and eventually to parts of the membrane inside the cochlea, composed of fibres of varying length, described above. We may reach an understanding of how such a vibrating fibre sets up an electrical and chemical process of conduction in the nervous fibre with which it is in touch. We may follow this conduction to the cerebral cortex and we may even obtain some objective knowledge of some of the things that happen there. But nowhere shall we hit on this ‘ registering as sound ’, which simply is not contained in our scientific picture, but is only in the mind of the person whose ear and brain we are speaking of.

Based on the detailed analysis of the mental and sensual cognition process, Schrodinger offers the following two conclusions.

…. Two general facts (a) that all scientific knowledge is based on sense perception, and (b) that none the less the scientific views of natural processes formed in this way lack all sensual qualities and therefore cannot account for the latter.”

Regarding, consciousness being ‘relational’, you are bluffing, or you are superimposing your fixed commitment to physicalism. Without a preexisting commitment to physicalism, the view that in consciousness there are intrinsic features present to the mind is the natural option. It is plain and simple that consciousness is not relational in its foundation. For example, you can discern change of states moment to moment, suppose from state A to state B and then State C .. and so forth. It is true that the states are distinguishable from each other based on relational changes. But THE DISCERNMENT of the states is not relational. THE DISCERNMENT is not relational.

We can understand this with an example. Consider the back-up mechanism of a single file ‘F’. We implement the back-up, recording only the changes made in the file ‘F’ from moment to moment. But, suppose there is no file ‘F’? Can we reconstruct ‘F’ from the change of states only? Another example is of the natural number system. Without ‘zero’ being here no number can have any meaning.

As above, I take the help of William Seager to further elaborate on this point.

Of course, the difficulty with this approach (the physicalism — my edit) is that it leaves the problem of consciousness in exactly the same place we started. The primary challenge that consciousness intuitively presents is precisely that there seems to be an intrinsic residue left over after we have tried to characterize it in purely structural or relational terms. The venerable inverted color-spectrum thought experiment is clearly supposed to illustrate this unavoidable lacuna. Such qualities do not reduce without remainder to their place in some abstractly definable structure.

In fact, we can prove this. Let us suppose a species, perhaps not so different from our own, with a perfectly symmetrical experiential color space9. For reductio, suppose that the abstract structure of these creatures’ color quality space is an exhaustive representation of the phenomenology associated with their color vision. Then we can immediately adapt an argument of Hilbert and Kalderon (2000). If the quality space is perfectly symmetrical then any wholesale transformation, such as inversion (or even small shifts), will make no difference to the overall relational structure. Then by our assumption there can be no difference in “experiential quality due to the shift, which is absurd since one region of the space maps to, say, the reddish quality and another to the green. The situation would be akin to having a sphere with one hemisphere painted red and the other green but where it is claimed that the features of every point on the sphere are exhaustively represented by the relational properties of that point with respect to all other points on the sphere. Since every point stands in exactly the same such relation to its fellows, rotating the sphere should not change anything yet one such sphere set beside a rotated one would obviously be different.

……But without a preexisting commitment to physicalism, the view that in consciousness there are intrinsic features present to the mind is the natural option.

So, as reasoned above the hard problem of consciousness is very much an unsolvable issue in the physicalistic worldview. And Consciousness is not relational. Discernment at its foundation is 'knowing' -- nit is not relational. The 'knowing' is the intrinsic nature of us.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
They are not absolutely equal. For instance, a daltonic person will literally view the world differently from others. But if the systems are similar, our bodies, wouldn't we expect them to behave similarly?

I do not know. Do you know for sure? There is evidence that 'Will' is not computational. Or it is also known that the subjective first-person consciousness cannot be converted to an algorithm.

I don't understand. Why is it a problem to know the intrinsic nature of material only through theory?

I do not understand your question. Can you please elaborate a bit more? Thanks.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfounded assertions. Interaction without 'discernment' is not 'knowledge'. Two or billion billiard balls may interact but that is not information unless someone cognises that. But it is good to note that we agree that science deals with dispositions and not with the intrinsic. I disagree, however, that dispositional nature and intrinsic nature are the same. They are not same. But I will not argue on that point here since that is not the subject of the OP.

OK, but I would note that tje foundation of my assertions is that the fundamental particles are *defined* by how they interact. How something interacts with other things is what it is.

On other matters, we have gone through the following arguments many times. It seems to me that you read nothing of what I write since you repeat the same unfounded assertions again and again. Have you ever explained how subjective perceptions can be explained by physical parameters?
In many cases, yes. We can point to the physical processes in the brain that *are* the sensation of 'seeing yellow'.

Assertions that go against the grain of direct experiences are characteristic of fundamentalists. And there is not much point in trying to communicate in such a situation. I hope that you will take pains to read the references and respond to the actual points, leaving aside the standard unfounded assertions.

Once again, I base my assertions on the actual evidence from brain studies.

The Hard Problem of consciousness cannot be just wished away.
Some physicalists such are Dennet et al are so obsessed with their physicalism that they try to sweep the first-person subjective experiences as ‘illusions’ — forgetting that illusions are subjective perceptions. By calling the first-person subjective experience as an illusion, he validates the existence of the Hard problem for the physicalist worldview.

I don't think it is an illusion, exactly. It is an epiphenomenon produced by the activity of the brain.

There is nothing experiential in any of the physical parameters and no one can derive ‘how it feels to see color red’ from the physical parameters or from brain states.
Actually, we can do something easy like this.

Further, it can be safely generalised that (a) all scientific knowledge is based on sense perception, and (b) none the less the scientific views of natural processes formed in this way lack all sensual qualities and therefore cannot account for the latter.

Below, I have reproduced a portion from the writing of Erwin Schrodinger to demonstrate my point. KINDLY READ.

OK, I read it. Schrodinger was a brilliant man and that particular essay was very good. But it was written long before we even knew about DNA. We have learned a few things since then.

So, I have learned Schrodingers intuition about these things as he had it, when? Way before any detailed studies of the brain were done? Well before any type of imagine technology existed?

We *do* see differences in how the neurons people have process colors to give the slightly different color triangles. Furthermore, a good part of that happens well before consciousness.

Schrodinger explains in great detail the auditory proves that I have not reproduced. After explaining the auditory process, he further says:

I have gone into some detail here. In order to make you feel that neither the physicist’s description, nor that of the physiologist, contains any trait of the sensation of sound. Any description of this kind is bound to end with a sentence like: those nerve impulses are conducted to a certain portion of the brain, where they are registered as a sequence of sounds. We can follow the pressure changes in the air as they produce vibrations of the ear-drum, we can see how its motion is transferred by a chain of tiny bones to another membrane, and eventually to parts of the membrane inside the cochlea, composed of fibres of varying length, described above. We may reach an understanding of how such a vibrating fibre sets up an electrical and chemical process of conduction in the nervous fibre with which it is in touch. We may follow this conduction to the cerebral cortex and we may even obtain some objective knowledge of some of the things that happen there. But nowhere shall we hit on this ‘ registering as sound ’, which simply is not contained in our scientific picture, but is only in the mind of the person whose ear and brain we are speaking of.

Based on the detailed analysis of the mental and sensual cognition process, Schrodinger offers the following two conclusions.

…. Two general facts (a) that all scientific knowledge is based on sense perception, and (b) that none the less the scientific views of natural processes formed in this way lack all sensual qualities and therefore cannot account for the latter.”

And, again, I think that studies since then have negated his position.

Regarding, consciousness being ‘relational’, you are bluffing, or you are superimposing your fixed commitment to physicalism. Without a preexisting commitment to physicalism, the view that in consciousness there are intrinsic features present to the mind is the natural option. It is plain and simple that consciousness is not relational in its foundation.

I *strongly* disagree. Consciousness is intimately relational: it depends on processing of information from the senses, on processing internally stored information, on telling the muscles when and how to move, etc. We are not passive observers. Our minds (our brains) process the information, using expectations and other data to give us what we actually experience.

For example, you can discern change of states moment to moment, suppose from state A to state B and then State C .. and so forth. It is true that the states are distinguishable from each other based on relational changes. But THE DISCERNMENT of the states is not relational. THE DISCERNMENT is not relational.

And I disagree. You can't discern it without changing your own mind state.

We can understand this with an example. Consider the back-up mechanism of a single file ‘F’. We implement the back-up, recording only the changes made in the file ‘F’ from moment to moment. But, suppose there is no file ‘F’? Can we reconstruct ‘F’ from the change of states only?
If you record the changes from the empty file, yes.

Another example is of the natural number system. Without ‘zero’ being here no number can have any meaning.

Only because in that axiomatic system, the other numbers are defined in terms of zero. it is equally easy to start with 1. or to give the axioms for the integers where there is no 'first'.

As above, I take the help of William Seager to further elaborate on this point.

In fact, we can prove this. Let us suppose a species, perhaps not so different from our own, with a perfectly symmetrical experiential color space9. For reductio, suppose that the abstract structure of these creatures’ color quality space is an exhaustive representation of the phenomenology associated with their color vision. Then we can immediately adapt an argument of Hilbert and Kalderon (2000). If the quality space is perfectly symmetrical then any wholesale transformation, such as inversion (or even small shifts), will make no difference to the overall relational structure. Then by our assumption there can be no difference in “experiential quality due to the shift, which is absurd since one region of the space maps to, say, the reddish quality and another to the green. The situation would be akin to having a sphere with one hemisphere painted red and the other green but where it is claimed that the features of every point on the sphere are exhaustively represented by the relational properties of that point with respect to all other points on the sphere. Since every point stands in exactly the same such relation to its fellows, rotating the sphere should not change anything yet one such sphere set beside a rotated one would obviously be different.

……But without a preexisting commitment to physicalism, the view that in consciousness there are intrinsic features present to the mind is the natural option.

All this shows is that the processing of the color space cannot be perfectly (or even mostly) symmetrical. So?

So, as reasoned above the hard problem of consciousness is very much an unsolvable issue in the physicalistic worldview. And Consciousness is not relational. Discernment at its foundation is 'knowing' -- nit is not relational. The 'knowing' is the intrinsic nature of us.

Now it looks to me that you are repeating unfounded assumptions.