• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nature of God Question

Truth_Faith13

I probably should know this really but....

I never realised that those Christian churches which follow the Trinitarian view believe that God (as in God the Father) is neither male or female. Thinking about it, it makes sense given that they believe God is spirit without physical form.

What I want to ask you guys is where does the LDS get the belief that God (as in God the Father) has a physical form and is male?

Was it the Bible? BoM? etc?

Jane.Doe

Hi Faith, long time no chat!

I never realised that those Christian churches which follow the Trinitarian view believe that God (as in God the Father) is neither male or female.
Correct. You'll also find many that believe the Spirit is genderless (but always should be referred to in male pronouns) and that we become genderless upon resurrection.
What I want to ask you guys is where does the LDS get the belief that God (as in God the Father) has a physical form and is male?

Male: He's the Father. Father=male. That's all over scripture.
Body: that's D&C. Sorry my internet is being crappy right now so I can't pull up the exact reference. Will do in a bit...

Jane.Doe

Hi Faith, long time no chat!

I never realised that those Christian churches which follow the Trinitarian view believe that God (as in God the Father) is neither male or female.
Correct. You'll also find many that believe the Spirit is genderless (but always should be referred to in male pronouns) and that we become genderless upon resurrection.

Male: He's the Father. Father=male. That's all over scripture.
Body: D&C 130: 22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Clear

Premium Member
POST ONE OF TWO
I never realised that those Christian churches which follow the Trinitarian view believe that God (as in God the Father) is neither male or female. Thinking about it, it makes sense given that they believe God is spirit without physical form.

Hi Faith, long time no chat! Correct. You'll also find many that believe the Spirit is genderless (but always should be referred to in male pronouns) and that we become genderless upon resurrection. Male: He's the Father. Father=male. That's all over scripture. Body: D&C 130: 22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

As a convert to LDS theology, I remember the many misconceptions that I had to work through (and am still working through), some of which were simply caused by insufficiently specific descriptions of the missionaries I first talked with. Though the young missionaries message was one of restoration of ancient Christian beliefs, they were not historians of ancient Christian literature.

The three base points to Jane.Does’ point is that the Father is anthropomorphic, he has a glorified body, and it is “tangible” (i.e. a material body) . This is consistent with Early Judeo-Christian assumptions described in their literature of belief.

A) God possessed Anthropomorphic (manlike form) characteristics.
B) God was glorified.
C) He was "tangible", that is he was a material being in a material universe. He did not consist of "nothing”. (Matter was an assumed worldview in ancient Judeo-Christian literature..)

I don’t want to appear to give you any more difficulties, but I think that the specific and simple four words “of flesh and bone”, as a “stand alone” description, will simply bring to mind the earthly body made of earthly material, which is a distortion of the actual doctrine. While the words may be correct, the resulting conception may not be correct because the words are insufficiently descriptive to form the larger context of early Judeo-Christian belief.

“A BODY” VERSUS “A GLORIFIED BODY” – these are very different things
For example, though early Judao-Christians believed in an anthropomorphic Lord God and would have viewed the Lord Gods body as being “material”, most of the early textual descriptions are made firmly inside the context of glorified anthropomorphisms. For example, when, in the early Jewish Haggadic literature, angels temporarily mistake adam, (with his beautiful and glorious newly formed body) for the Lord God (since one was in the image of the other), it was Adam in his original glorified body that the angels saw and NOT Adams fallen and mortal body.

Jewish Haggadah records that “When Adam opened his eyes for the first time” and beheld the worlds’ magnificence, “his admiration for the world surrounding him did not exceed the admiration all creatures conceived for Adam. They took him to be their creator” (Haggadah) The text is not describing “fallen Adam” with a mortal Body, but a glorified Adam with a Glorified Body. “and when the angels saw Adam’s glorious appearance they were greatly moved by the beauty thereof. For they saw the image of his face burning with glorious splendor like the orb of the sun, and the light of his eyes was like the light of the sun, and the image of his body was like unto the sparkling of crystal…”.

Though THIS Adam, in his Glorified and immortal body may have possessed “flesh and bones”, the simple description of “flesh and bones” without constructing the necessary context of wonderful and indescribable and profound glorification, will not be conceived of correctly as it was by the early judeo-christians as it relates to either resurrected beings with glorified bodies or to Glorified Adams’ body nor to Gods Glorified body.

After Adams fall, the angels would not, could not, have mistaken this fallen Adams’ body for the Lord God body.

Did the early Judao-Christians believe that God the Father had hands and a face and a mouth and walked and talked and moved about with a body? Yes, they did. But that body was, in their texts, always a glorified body. Flesh? Yes. But it did not seem to be a flesh like that which we experience and conceive of when we say “flesh”.

ANTHROPOMORPHIC (literally “Man-formed” or “In the form of man”)

IF we can agree that the definition of anthropomorphism means “having human characteristics, (though literally μορφη -morphe refers to a specific "Shape" God has or chooses to have) then when the early Judeo-christians describe their belief in an anthropomorphic God, they are describing their belief in a God that had specific "human characteristics" (i.e. the appearance and action of God).

AN ANTHROPOMORPHIC GOD WAS ASSUMED IN ANCIENT JUDEO-CHRISTIAN LITERATURE
The early literature is full of anthropomorphisms where the form of God is assumed to be like man. For examples, when the prophet Enoch describes The God of the Universe “march[ing] upon Mount Sinai” or creating adam “with his own two hands … in a facsimile of his own face” and when Gabriel sets the prophet Enoch down “in front of the face of the lord .." (2nd enoch) or when Enoch tells us “even I saw the face of the Lord." Though the Prophet Enoch is talking about a God who IS marching upon legs, who HAS two hands to form Adam and who has a FACE to model Adams face after, still, these are all relative terms since Enoch is speaking of a Glorified being.

These are all quite anthropomorphic and obvious and not mystical or symbolic descriptions, yet they are in the context of a Glorified Body. “But the face of the lord is not to be talked about, it is so very marvelous and supremely awesome and supremely frightening....

When the Lord tells Enoch to “Be brave”, he says that “the Lord, with his own mouth, said to me, “Be brave Enoch! Don’t be frightened!” Stand up, and stand in front of my face…” 2nd enoch, these descriptions are not symbolic, but they come from a glorified being. Anthropomorphic in the extreme to be sure, but still, glorified.

I think it is a bit difficult for a modern Christian worldview that adopted more transcendency than ancient Christianity theology (or the LDS restoration of ancient theological models), to understand the ancient Judeo-Christians texts meant exactly what they say. “All this the Lord said to me, as a man talks to his neighbor.” 2nd Enoch 36:3.

When I grew up in non LDS theology, my native Christianity took such things much more metaphorically. It had to take them metaphorically because it had abandoned the historical assumptions. Plus, I had no concept that the early Judeo-christians had described in their own texts, their own beliefs, or that those beliefs would have been so different than my own.

OTHER EXAMPLES EXIST THROUGHOUT THE ANCIENT JUDEO-CHRISTIAN LITERATURE
For examples :
“…the original man, formed by the holy hands of God,…(Sibylline Oracles book 8 vs 259-262

“… Moses wept for forty days and spoke with God mouth to mouth,... The Questions of Ezra (Recension A) vs 39;

“…Who made Adam, the protoplast, the first one?” And God said, “My immaculate hands..." The Greek Apocalypse of Ezra 2:1, 10-17;

“…he said, “I want to speak to God face to face, but I am not able, Lord, to ascend into the heavens.” The Apocalypse of Sedrach 2:3-5;

And he finished talking with him and the LORD ascended from Abraham.” Jubilees (the book of division) 15:18-21;

“… the Lord turned and said to Adam, ‘From now on I will not allow you to be in Paradise. “Life of Adam and Eve (apocalypse) 28:1-4;

POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS

Clear

Premium Member
POST TWO OF TWO

ANCIENT CHRISTIANITY WOULD HAVE INTERPRETED WESTERN BIBLICAL TEXT INSIDE THE EARLIEST CHRISTIAN WORLDVIEWS
That is, the Early Judeo-Christian movement would have interpreted biblical text in the same context as non-biblical sacred texts.
For examples :
Jesus is also described as being “the image of God (2 Cor 4:4) and “being in the form of God“(Phil 2:6) We are told that the resurrected savior (“ Who is the image of the invisible God “ col 1:15) will “change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body..”(phil 3:21) Heb. 1:3 reminds us Jesus is “ the express image of his [Gods] person.” though Jesus looked like other men, (which themselves “are made after the similitude of God” (jas 3:9)

In the early Judeo-Christian worldview, there was no need to allegorize Jacob’s claim that “I have seen God face to face” (gen 32:30) if God has a face. There is similarly, no need to call it a metaphor and create additional reasoning and logic (or illogic) as to “what Moses REALLY meant” when he claimed that the “Lord spake unto Moses face to face" (Ex. 33:11).

The prophet Ezra (and the later Judeo-christian text) confirms their belief that “ Moses wept for forty days and spoke with God mouth to mouth,..." The Questions of Ezra (Recension A) vs 39 Modern theories that describe ALL such descriptions as allegory, must add additional reasoning and additional data and additional but unnecessary complicated theological gyrations to what should was very, simple in ancient Christian worldviews.

For example, in early theology, there was no need to allegorize Enochs instruction that “the face of the lord is not to be talked about, it is so very marvelous and supremely awesome and supremely frightening.... “ or when “the Lord, with his own mouth, said to me, “Be brave Enoch! Don’t be frightened!” Stand up, and stand in front of my face” or the Lords promise Rev. 22:4 “they shall see his face “ (rev 22:4) or when he chooses to be partly invisible (αορου) “thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen" (Ex 33:23) “ With him will I speak mouth to mouth“ (Num 12:8)

ANTHROPOMORPHIC ACTIONS AND MATERIAL WORLD DESCRIPTIONS
In the early descriptions where “…they saw the God of Israel, there was under his feet...” Ex. 24:10, it is not merely the fact that he had feet that is anthropomorphic (human-like) but descriptions of actions such as when the prophet Enoch describes The God of the Universe “march[ing] upon Mount Sinai” or creating adam “with his own two hands … in a facsimile of his own face” and when Gabriel sets the prophet Enoch down “in front of the face of the lord "(2nd enoch) or when enoch tells us “even I saw the face of the Lord." The number and type of anthropomorphisms add up AND they form a consistent theme in early, middle and later periods of Judeo-christianity.

Whether it is 10 commandments being “…written with the finger of God" in old testament jewish literature (ex 31:18) or “..see[ing] his face “ of new testament literature (rev 22:4) or “…the original man, formed by the holy hands of God,…(in relatively unsacred descriptive texts (Sibylline Oracles book 8 vs 259-262) or the earliest doctrine asking “…Who made Adam, the protoplast, the first one?” And God said, “My immaculate hands The Greek Apocalypse of Ezra 2:1, 10-17, the fact that these many descriptions are anthropomorphic means that the texts include anthropomorphic descriptions and as these descriptions continue into the early post a.d. Judeo-christian periods, it is clear that these Christians believed their God had anthropomorphic (human-like) characteristics.

The early Judeo-Christian texts do not merely speak of Anthropomorphic (human-like) appearance of God, but other anthropomorphic manifestations as well

He “acts” like men in a material manner so that there is a special sense to his being in their early descriptions of him. That is, there is a left and right, a front and behind, he comes and goes, etc. In this way, he is often anthropomorphic (human like) in his actions. This does not say that he has to act this way, but that he often does act this way. For examples :
The “Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing” (Gen 18:22)
Stephen, in Acts 7:56 sees “the Son of man standing on the right hand of God
Gabriel sets the prophet Enoch down “in front of the face of the lord (2nd enoch)
God tells the prophet of enoch toStand up, and stand in front of my face…”

Not only do the texts describe a God who is oriented in space, but one who has certain actions that are anthropomorphic. For example, the early Judeo-christians describe God as speaking with a mouth having a voice in a language men could understand. These are all quite anthropomorphic (human-like) actions.

Sedrach says “ I want to speak to God face to face...” (The Apocalypse of Sedrach 2:3-5)
“…And he finished talking with him and the LORD ascended from Abraham.” Jubilees 15:18-21
“… the Lord turned and said to Adam, ‘From now on I will not allow you to be in Paradise. “Life of Adam and Eve (apocalypse) 28:1-4;

You will find that God and his angels were their friends while they were in their bodies, and that God kept on speaking to them many times… 8 And our father Jacob would speak to his son Joseph and say to him, “My God appeared to me in the land of Canaan at Luz and blessed me .." Testament of Jacob 7:1-8

It’s not just that they described him speaking, but he did so quite like men do.
Enoch tell us : “All this the Lord said to me, as a man talks to his neighbor.” (2nd Enoch 36:3)
In Matt. 3:17 they describe “ a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son”. The voice seemed to speak in a language the men knew, just like when “a man talks to his neighbor”.
Matt. 17:5 describes “a voice out of the cloud” which again, speaks a language they understand just like one human would do with another. It is an anthropomorphic (human-like) act.

In any case True_Faith and other readers, whether Original (or earliest Judeo-Christianity) is correct or whether the LDS are correct in re-adopting the earliest versions of Original doctrines as part of a restoration, or if one of the modern theories is correct, I hope your spiritual journeys are satisfying and good.

Clear
ειτωφιω

Last edited:

Orontes

Master of the Horse
A simple illustration of the transition that Clear references can be seen with St. Augustine. He notes in his "Confessions" that his Christian mother Monica had always believed and taught him when he was young that God was as a man (albeit glorified). Augustine notes he came to the correct view of Deity once he had traveled to Milan and was exposed to St. Ambrose. Ambrose introduced him to Neo-Platonism and the true nature of the metaphysics of being. Under this model God is at the top of the chain of being. As such, He is beyond form, localization, or flesh: all such are the characteristics of things lower in the chain. Augustine adopted Neo-Platonism as the correct lens to understand the Divine and interpret scripture. This is one example of the Hellenization of Christianity.

Last edited: