• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nature as Sacred

Bear Wild

With the present events in our world progressing with the rapid destruction the non-human part of our world and accelerating climate change, would humans be better off to treat nature as sacred?

We share a world with other life which we are intimately connected with and dependent on. Something so essential for our existence should be entitled to reverence and respect. If sacred we should give our non-human aspect of the world the respect it deserves we should then treat it with such respect. This might change our behavior towards our world and make the sacrifices needed to prevent its destruction.

Can nature as sacred be practiced in harmony with most religions?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
With the present events in our world progressing with the rapid destruction the non-human part of our world and accelerating climate change, would humans be better off to treat nature as sacred?

We share a world with other life which we are intimately connected with and dependent on. Something so essential for our existence should be entitled to reverence and respect. If sacred we should give our non-human aspect of the world the respect it deserves we should then treat it with such respect. This might change our behavior towards our world and make the sacrifices needed to prevent its destruction.

Yes. Sacredness of nature isnt religious in and of itself. A lot of religious nature lovers etc are connected because their religion opens them up to the sacredness of the world and living around them.

Hopefully, religious views would help creation and living, though. Many people see creation and other living below them.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Nature is neutral, not sacred. If we were not here "nature" would simply be a cosmic non-sequitur. Nature is also not self aware; I don't believe nature could or would even care if it existed.

Jumi

I've noted locally that there are some members of religious groups that see a trash bin, but still throw their garbage on the ground. And there are others who accuse anyone who wants to keep natural balance for future generations to enjoy as an anarchist.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Hello. Oh boy, you pressed a button for me on this topic. :)

To me it is simple. If you believe in a Creator God then cherishing all of Creation is our obligation. Treating nature as a commodity is evil.

Peace

Audie

Veteran Member
Why not use it as god directed? He will replce it with a perfect one anyway.
For those who followed his directions.

Regiomontanus

Why not use it as god directed? He will replce it with a perfect one anyway.
For those who followed his directions.

Hello. Your comment is of course based on some theological assumptions/interpretations, ones that I do not agree with. Would God want us to despoil His creation to the point where people (usually the poor and least empowered) are made to suffer?

Peace

edit: I used the language "your assumptions not valid, IMHO" when I simply meant "your assumptions I do not agree with". I corrected that. If the original sounded harsh to anyone I apologize.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hello. Your comment is of course based on some theological assumptions/interpretations that, IMHO, are not valid. Would God want us to despoil His creation to the point where people (usually the poor and least empowered) are made to suffer?

Peace

If you view God as an entity that could "want" something, then you are no longer talking about God. Nature, like anything else in this realm of existence, is just part of the illusion that you have to define for yourself.

Regiomontanus

If you view God as an entity that could "want" something, then you are no longer talking about God. Nature, like anything else in this realm of existence, is just part of the illusion that you have to define for yourself.

Hello. Interesting point of view.

Peace

David T

Premium Member

Yes. But like the current sex abuse issue in the catholic church honesty is not at this time "normal".

I subscribe to an eco-psychology review. The speed of the transformation of eco-psychology into intellectualizing BS is breathtaking.

I would say Wild Fox, those of us whom might have a sense that yes nature as sacred is primary are failing. Its easy to point at the flock as failing, but the messengers are failing. I put myself in that group and i need to work a bit more on being clearer. Thats not easy. I have retreated into music it seems for me the best medium. Others its writing, or painting, political activities, or science, and religion. In all these domains the messengers are failing but trying as well.

David T

Premium Member
We need to treat love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity as 'sacred' expressions of being.
There is a larger than human world. So while yes i totally agree with you what you have said, this is constantly preached inside church. So it pretty rapidly turns into fairly self serving since it completely disconnects from reality in church. Sometimes the buildings themselves become an echo chamber of nonsense in church. Even as all you have said is preached.

David T

Premium Member
Nature is neutral, not sacred. If we were not here "nature" would simply be a cosmic non-sequitur. Nature is also not self aware; I don't believe nature could or would even care if it existed.
Ahhh.... Did you invent music? What came first music or music theory?

I play an acoustic guitar, with 29 rings per inch in its sitka spruce top. Now, i can say its a dead dead dead slab of wood from a dumb dumb dumb tree. But a few bit oh magic happens with that dumb dead slab Of wood. It has a voice.

Now its voice is my voice, and my voice is its voice its dead and i am alive. A long time ago a woman walked into a room full of men, her voice aligned with the very dead, and her voice his voice became one. He has risen.

I tend to take a luthiers perspective on guitars. Luthiers tend to be rather enamored with the nature of trees.

The sum is always greater than the total of the parts.

PureX

Veteran Member
There is a larger than human world. So while yes i totally agree with you what you have said, this is constantly preached inside church. So it pretty rapidly turns into fairly self serving since it completely disconnects from reality in church. Sometimes the buildings themselves become an echo chamber of nonsense in church. Even as all you have said is preached.
It is sad that words become empty of meaning when being repeated, but not embodied. And not experienced. Religions turn to dogma and force when they have no spiritual soul left to offer anyone.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

adhering to what our planet needs....yeah.....we should do
we all shall perish otherwise

but the label sacred will not stick to big business

they will do as they please until man-made law stops them

it may already be too late