• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natural beauty of your hometown

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Tell me about your hometown. Specifically, the natural beauty there is.

I'll start.

I live in the desert. My town is built on a hill. On top of the hill, I can see the sand dunes. With the sun shining on them, they look like glistening golden mountains.

I used to be in training for the Border Patrol when I was a teenager. They'd take us out to both kinds of desert we have: the sand dunes, and the other kind with cactuses and tumbleweeds and coyotes and stuff. We'd pretty much play hide and seek in miles of desert, learning how to track people.

I'm well acquainted with the desert.

What about you? Tell me about the natural habitat of your hometown.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There's trees and stuff.

We're in the Midwest; its not particularly remarkable, and what beauty was there was torn up for farmland.

But, the nature of creeks makes them difficult to farm too close to, so we have the Katoski Greenbelt going through the west side of the city(and much further out, as the creek goes on pretty far) where the natural environment is still intact, if only for a quarter mile on each side. Its a gently wooded area, with a few expanses of prairie grasses here and there.

This would have been a nice place if it wasn't so disturbed.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I'll start.

I live in the desert. My town is built on a hill. On top of the hill, I can see the sand dunes. With the sun shining on them, they look like glistening golden mountains.

I used to be in training for the Border Patrol when I was a teenager. They'd take us out to both kinds of desert we have: the sand dunes, and the other kind with cactuses and tumbleweeds and coyotes and stuff. We'd pretty much play hide and seek in miles of desert, learning how to track people.

I'm a Londoner. One feature of London is that it is an amalgamation of what once were individual villages, many of which had village greens or tracts of "common" land, originally reserved for pasture and not built upon even today. As a result, although London is an enormous urban sprawl, you are almost never more than 15 minutes walk from a bit of green space. Where I live, I have Clapham Common within 5 minutes, Wandsworth Common within 10 and Tooting Common within 20 minutes walk.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The landscape of my hometown is desert. At the bottom of a massive valley, we are ringed with mountains, of which the western one actually has forests and a ski area. There is a small wetland area with water, and lots of bird life to the south. To the east side of the city, through the mountain lies a lake, of which you can boat, jet ski, or fish.

But for the most part, everything else is hard compact sand/dirt, dry brush, and little else. It's also very hot for 3/4 of the year.

Edit: and cityscapes, lots of city.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The picture is taken from my my livingroom view :)

Attachments

• 20211017_173518.jpg
    20211017_173518.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 1

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm from a Lancashire village on the banks of the river Ribble. Rural and pretty. Archaeology shows it had bronze age beginnings, it was a roman port and garrison, it's still called by its roman name. I spent much of my childhood swimming in the river or getting on the archaeologist nerves by playing among the Roman ruins.
Aerial_view_of_Ribchester.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
A large natural peninsula jutting out into one of the five Great Lakes forms a large natural bay. The peninsula is a state park with no commercial development and long beaches on the lake side, with a marina and lagoons and small bays and inlets on the bay side. The town is on the opposite (shore) side of the bay, with more marinas and restaurants and a small convention center on the bay-front. A truly beautiful place, but with hard, cold winters. I live just to the right of the vary bottom right-hand corner of the photo.

1200.jpg

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I'll start.

Is a home town the one you were born in, grew up in or currently live in? I always get confused. Each one is beautiful but I didn't know which one to talk about.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Is a home town the one you were born in, grew up in or currently live in? I always get confused. Each one is beautiful but I didn't know which one to talk about.

Im hoping it's the one i was born and grew up in. Because if it's the one i currently live in I'll have to start again ;-)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Typically it means where you were born, but your current residence is the town where your home is :)

Viker

Häxan
That place is a maze... we got on the wrong exit passing through there over the summer. It was not easy trying to get out.
They'll soon have spaghetti junction reworked. Originally, planners hadn't counted on Louisville becoming a boom town. I guess they figured the 1950s and 60s is as far as was needed for growth. Now, there are more bridges and cars than ever.

I've been here most my life and occasionally get turned around downtown.:p

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was raised on a farm about 20 miles away from 2 towns, each around population 2000. So I don't have a home town at all. A small slow river with a beautiful valley was only a couple of miles away.

Today I live in a beautiful city with a river (and deep valley) flowing through the middle. Tons of park space here.