• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationalism?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This is mostly to satisfy a curiosity of mine, but what do folks around here think about nationalism or patriotism? I've seen some views about this that rather perplex me, and I'd like to give them a space to express themselves. Also, putting this in a debate area because I don't mind if you all start going at it with each other. :D I don't have strong feelings about the idea one way or another - being an American simply isn't part of how I think of my identity, but nor would I balk at someone who considers themselves a patriot. What about you?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think nationalism can be a great way for a people marginalized by a larger power to become more independent. It can save cultural and linguistic identities.

On the other hand, it can also feed xenophobic tendencies, and give rise to fascist regimes.

So, like most things, there's pros and cons.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I'm definitely patriotic and favor some degree of nationalism. Do agree it can go overboard - encourage denial of existing problems/issues which need addressed, feed war-mongering, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm no patriot or nationalist.
But I like to see the country do well....especially kicking ferrin butt in the Olympics.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is mostly to satisfy a curiosity of mine, but what do folks around here think about nationalism or patriotism? I've seen some views about this that rather perplex me, and I'd like to give them a space to express themselves. Also, putting this in a debate area because I don't mind if you all start going at it with each other. :D I don't have strong feelings about the idea one way or another - being an American simply isn't part of how I think of my identity, but nor would I balk at someone who considers themselves a patriot. What about you?
I'm patriotic in terms of national unity and protection against aggression. Its my birthplace, and as long as freedom and human rights are preserved, I'd be happy to support those qualities representative of a free people.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Nationalism isn't a bad thing for the USA, we are more identified by our little tribes that our country. The idea might not play in other countries, but we're pretty middle-of-the-road if you add it all up, and just to compare -- such as Reagan era America vs now is so completely different. :)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Nationalism isn't a bad thing for the USA, we are more identified by our little tribes that our country. The idea might not play in other countries, but we're pretty middle-of-the-road if you add it all up, and just to compare -- such as Reagan era America vs now is so completely different. :)

I disagree. I think American nationalism is too strong and unnecessary. It's more of an example of nationalism gone bad, IMO.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I disagree. I think American nationalism is too strong and unnecessary. It's more of an example of nationalism gone bad, IMO.

Our nationalism is much less than others, thanks to the globalist masters. :) I mean, people actually think Hillary is a good presidential candidate. American's are largely self-centered, short-sighted, and not even having a single concern of preserving their way or culture.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Our nationalism is much less than others, thanks to the globalist masters. :) I mean, people actually think Hillary is a good presidential candidate.

Yeah, I'm one of 'em.

American's are largely self-centered, short-sighted, and not even having a single concern of preserving their way or culture.

Maybe it's different in the former Colonies and the Bible Belt, but out here, we don't really have a truly distinct way or life or culture to preserve. We're simply not old enough. Could you even distinguish NorCal from SoCal?

I can only think of a few cultural elements that are distinctly US American. The Western genre, Puritanism, Broadway musicals, FPS video games, Hollywood, Silicon Valley, and the myriad genres of African American music. I don't care one bit about the first one, and the second one is something that shouldn't be preserved, IMO. All the rest is in absolutely no danger of not being preserved.

EDIT: Also Superheroes. EDIT2: And Disney.

But Americans do have a tendency to project their own regional cultures onto the rest of the country.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think anything to support a state is to support a needless division that is causing us far more problems than it does solutions. Until we unite, globally as one people, these states are going to continue to exploit, kill, and destroy each other, with those who aren't even calling the shots paying the most for it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe it's different in the former Colonies and the Bible Belt, but out here, we don't really have a truly distinct way or life or culture to preserve. We're simply not old enough.
Here, it's so rural and "small town America" that there just isn't a need for any sort of cultural preservation efforts. The traditional Amish ways are slowly fading though.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm one of 'em.

Maybe it's different in the former Colonies and the Bible Belt, but out here, we don't really have a truly distinct way or life or culture to preserve. We're simply not old enough. Could you even distinguish NorCal from SoCal?

I can only think of a few cultural elements that are distinctly US American. The Western genre, Puritanism, Broadway musicals, FPS video games, Hollywood, Silicon Valley, and the myriad genres of African American music. I don't care one bit about the first one, and the second one is something that shouldn't be preserved, IMO. All the rest is in absolutely no danger of not being preserved.

EDIT: Also Superheroes.

But Americans do have a tendency to project their own regional cultures onto the rest of the country.
Yeah, there is no unifying American culture. It's a patchwork of different regional and local cultures. I'm from San Francisco. Moving to Ohio was like moving to a different country. Hardly anything "united" about the so-called United States.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Until we unite, globally as one people,

I don't really think that's desirable (or even plausible), either. The notion that we're "one people" that exists in post-90s Americana has already obfuscated a lot about history and other cultures.

Plus, the implementation of such a culture would necessitate the erasure of other cultures in favor of a single dominant culture. I do not support that at all, because it's imperialist. How do we decide which culture becomes dominant? Obviously we're going to support our own over others.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't really think that's desirable (or even plausible), either. The notion that we're "one people" that exists in post-90s Americana has already obfuscated a lot about history and other cultures.

Plus, the implementation of such a culture would necessitate the erasure of other cultures in favor of a single dominant culture. I do not support that at all, because it's imperialist. How do we decide which culture becomes dominant? Obviously we're going to support our own over others.
I'm thinking in more a united global government that functions more-or-less like it does on Star Trek, with respect to cultural differences while working together towards the goals of improving themselves and society as a whole. Of course we are far away from that being a hope, but the day when we realize we are all human beings, no matter our color or where we come from, and that it is most beneficial to work together and mutually cooperate, we will advance further and faster than we ever have before.