• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationalism

Is it ethical or unethical to be a nationalist? Are some forms of nationalism ethical, while others are unethical? Would the world be better off without nationalism?

Pesonally I think nationalism is for the most part a problem. In my experience I have found that nationalism generally comes in a negative form. Arrogance is a common feature of nationalism - thinking that ones own nation/country is better than others. An immoral form of pride generally accompanies nationalism.

I tend to think of nationalism in a similar way as racism and ethnicism. Conflict is very often associated with nationalism, with nations fighting against one another. Ideally, I would want there to be only one group to which people have strong sentiments to - the living beings group.

National anthems disgust me.

I feel fortunate to live in Canada, which is one of the most accepting and multicultural countries on earth. No doubt this has heavily influenced my views on the matter.

I see that you find your nationalism justified. Just like everyone else.

Im not a nationalist. The aspects of Canadian society that I mentioned, acceptance and multiculturalism, unite people. You simply don't understand. Please don't polute this thread any further with shortsighted opinions.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Im not a nationalist. The aspects of Canadian society that I mentioned, acceptance and multiculturalism, unite people. You simply don't understand. Please don't polute this thread any further with shortsighted opinions.

Like throwing an empty bottle into a landfill.

You probably disgust those who sing national anthems.

:facepalm:

Another unjustified opinion. First of all, there is a big difference between being disgusted by anthems, and finding the people who sing anthems disgusting, which I don't.

Second, I think that the number of people who would find me disgusting because I find anthems disgusting is close to zero, with the exception of maybe you and a few other people.

Noaidi

slow walker
Do you equate nationalism with pride in one's country?

I am proud of my country's achievements, culture, language, environment and so on, but I certainly wouldn't deem my country superior to others. IMO that pride is a form of (or a component of) nationalism.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Another unjustified opinion. First of all, there is a big difference between being disgusted by anthems, and finding the people who sing anthems disgusting, which I don't.

Second, I think that the number of people who would find me disgusting because I find anthems disgusting is close to zero, with the exception of maybe you and a few other people.

I suspect more people may find hypocrisy disgusting than you think.

Do you equate nationalism with pride in one's country?

The negative form that nationalism can have is generally accompanied by the negative form of pride. This isn't necessarily the case, as I think some forms of nationalism and some forms of pride aren't necessarily bad.

I am proud of my country's achievements, culture, language, environment and so on but I certainly wouldn't deem my country superior to others. IMO that pride is a form of (or a component of) nationalism.

That seems like a good form of pride and nationalism.

Personally, Im happy of all the positive things your country has been able to do as well, as I am of every country.

nnmartin

If you find your own national anthem so disgusting why not go and live with the Taliban?

I'm sure they would be happy to accommodate your very liberal views.

Last edited:

nnmartin

Why should people have to eat humble politically correct pie if they don't want it?

It's been said that multiculturalism is often just neo-colonialism in disguise anyway.

How about living in Bangladesh for a couple of years, I hear they pay well in the garment factories there....

If you find your own national anthem so disgusting why not go and live with the Taliban?

I'm sure they would be happy to accommodate your very liberal views.

lol, thats awesome. I don't know how you made the connection but its funny.

I find all anthems disgusting. Although, there could be anthems out there that I might be a fan of, ones that promote things that I think are positive, like world peace or living a virtuous life, minus all the nationalistic elements. I hope those come into style.

Why should people have to eat humble politically correct pie if they don't want it?

Because the pie is good for them. Its like a mother making her wee children eat vegetables they don't like.

How about living in Bangladesh for a couple of years, I hear they pay well in the garment factories there....

lol, I don't know what the point of saying things like this is.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
IMO it's neither ethical nor unethical.

It's unethical when you find your country superior to other countries, but it's not for being proud of your country's achievements and so on. I have no qualms with national anthems, national mottoes, etc.

My view, anyway.