• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Defence Authorization Act

dust1n

Zindīq
You don't even have to look a Russian propaganda to find out about this one. I don't know why everyone is just now going crazy over it in the media. It happens a week ago. They voted on it on live television. It's a lot harder to prevent a bill after the fact.

Jeremy Mason

You don't even have to look a Russian propaganda to find out about this one. I don't know why everyone is just now going crazy over it in the media. It happens a week ago. They voted on it on live television. It's a lot harder to prevent a bill after the fact.

Did the President veto it?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And before it passed, Obama was insisting that he would veto it.

Wow. It's OK though - everyone just keep eating, and watching tv, and playing video games.

not nom

I don't know why everyone is just now going crazy over it in the media. It happens a week ago. They voted on it on live television. It's a lot harder to prevent a bill after the fact.

that is exactly why that stuff doesn't get reported on until it's passed, and even then not seriously.

not nom

And before it passed, Obama was insisting that he would veto it.

I'm not american, so I never payed *that* much attention, but I never considered obama as anything but the "good cop" after bush did his part.

do you think a president gets to decide anything important? really? I have my doubts... presidents get to arrange deck chairs, but can they try to change the fundamental direction without, you know, getting shot?

Kathryn

I'm not american, so I never payed *that* much attention, but I never considered obama as anything but the "good cop" after bush did his part.

do you think a president gets to decide anything important? really? I have my doubts... presidents get to arrange deck chairs, but can they try to change the fundamental direction without, you know, getting shot?

He could have kept his word and vetoed this travesty. But Obama is definitely no better than Bush when it comes to invasion of privacy and trampling of our rights as US citizens.

Patriot Act, anyone? Round 2. The noose tightens.

I was all over Facebook about this act and no one even lifted an eyebrow.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Alex Jones? !
A lot of people will dismiss Jones out-of-hand as a paranoid, conspiracy theorist, nut. I think an analysis by less flamboyant commentators like Thom Hartman or Norman Goldman might be better received by the general public.

It's hard for patriotic Americans to accept that their country's been hijacked or that it's degenerating into a police state.

Jeremy Mason

I was all over Facebook about this act and no one even lifted an eyebrow.

Yeah, I kinda see what you mean.

But Obama is definitely no better than Bush when it comes to invasion of privacy and trampling of our rights as US citizens.

To the best of my knowledg, this is a defense bill that gives the military it's resources/money to continue it's day to day affairs and is passed yearly. It was placed in the bill to blackmail the president into signing it.

Kathryn

Alex Jones? !
A lot of people will dismiss Jones out-of-hand as a paranoid, conspiracy theorist, nut. I think an analysis by less flamboyant commentators like Thom Hartman or Norman Goldman might be better received by the general public.

It's hard for patriotic Americans to accept that their country's been hijacked or that it's degenerating into a police state.

Indefinite Detention, Endless Worldwide War and the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act | American Civil Liberties Union

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3MWMBQ&usg=AFQjCNE9GNI5kXgneiJI5PV7TJ-aRD8Kug

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-detain-americans-indefinitely_n_1119473.html

Obama Should Veto the Defense Authorization Act - NYTimes.com

not nom

^ hey by the way, that's from 2009.

[youtube]AnPI1_1_eek[/youtube]
Senate 2011-11-28- S.1867 (National Defense Authorization Act) Part 01 - YouTube

[youtube]Gpd6VvAw5SI[/youtube]
Senate 2011-11-28- S.1867 (National Defense Authorization Act) Part 02 - YouTube

[youtube]lVWh1Nxa17w[/youtube]
Senate 2011-11-29- S.1867 (National Defense Authorization Act) Part 01 - YouTube

[youtube]oN3uMKm1CzE[/youtube]
Senate 2011-11-29- S.1867 (National Defense Authorization Act) Part 02 - YouTube

I know that's a lot of stuff and mostly boring, but check this out :eek:

[youtube]oKqp_VhOZEc[/youtube]
McCain: The "Bizarre One" - YouTube

"but then Kirk voted for it in the end"

*weeps*

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Yeah, I think that there is still time until the bill has its final review by congress.

Not that I have much hope that it will get any better.

Kathryn

I hope so. Let's see if Obama holds true to his word and vetoes it.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
*Shakes head*

I dunno...
There seems to be so much going on in the US that would have me out protesting and setting fire to stuff that I don't know where to begin.
I mean...how the hell do you allow your country to be hijacked like this? :sarcastic

Look at the people running for president for @#$%& sake!!! :facepalm:
And not just running...people are taking them SERIOUSLY and giving them air time!