• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA's Guide To Black Hole Safety

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They can't even fix the potholes in the roads around here, and now we have to worry about black holes...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They can't even fix the potholes in the roads around here, and now we have to worry about black holes...
No need to worry.
If a black hole intends to kill us all, there's nothing we can do to stop it.
And using inductive reasoning based upon my 66 years of experience
on Earth, it won't happen.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is both cute and factual. Enjoy!

I wonder how they have any size, at all, if their internal gravity is 'Infinite'? The size indicates something, and I think it is known to relate to the gravitational pull and the sphere of influence of the black hole. We presume from this that the larger black holes contain more matter, but why would they take up more space with infinite internal gravity? It must be that 'Infinite' simply means incalculable and not truly infinite.

Bob the Unbeliever

I wonder how they have any size, at all, if their internal gravity is 'Infinite'? The size indicates something, and I think it is known to relate to the gravitational pull and the sphere of influence of the black hole. We presume from this that the larger black holes contain more matter, but why would they take up more space with infinite internal gravity? It must be that 'Infinite' simply means incalculable and not truly infinite.

I agree with you here-- the word "infinite" was clearly hyperbole in the cartoon. Whereas I understand why they chose that word, my inner OCD cringed when I heard it.

I'd have been much happier if they'd have, instead, said "near infinite". :)

Yes-- "near infinite" is akin to saying "mostly dead"*, and is actually amusing to me. But. And it's an important 'but', IMO: "near infinite" means "not actually infinite" which means "finite" which means it could be calculated, given sufficient information.

* "mostly dead".... flash on Billy Crystal's performance in The Princess Bride.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I agree on the black hole and misuse of infinite, would be better described as 'super' (or similar) dense

But, can't be the black hole that is measured but the event horizon.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No need to worry.
Is there such a thing as a political black hole?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
DANG IT!!!! I was certain they were full of unicorns and space potatoes

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No need to worry.

Yeah, but trying to avoid those potholes is something else.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Potholes are indeed the greater danger.
And now with pot becoming increasingly legal across the
country, we can expect them to become more common.

I don't mind the pot. It's the holes I can do without.

The reason they don't get fixed is because of other kinds of holes in the local and state government. They're not black holes, and they're not donut holes. But I think you know the kind of holes I'm talking about.