• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA Webb Telescope and "God"

Rational Agnostic

I have a comment, and then a question for my theistic friends. The NASA Webb Telescope is going to peer deeper into the universe than ever before next year, and will be viewing the universe as it was shortly after the big bang. So, my question for you is this: For those of you who believe god is an objectively real being whose existence is demonstrable, will this be the momentous event? Will the almighty magical anthropomorphic genie finally make his appearance when we peer back at the early universe?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The view of God as a being, a big sky daddy, is at best a relic of an earlier and more ignorant era. There are some, of course, who think of the divine as a big piñata that delivers goodies under the right conditions, but that primitive view is less and less evident.

To me, God manifests in a rose, the smile of a baby, the hug of friends, the findings of science, the inspiring piece of music, in self-forgetful joy and in every act of self-giving love.

Grandliseur

For those of you who believe god is an objectively real being whose existence is demonstrable, will this be the momentous event? Will the almighty magical anthropomorphic genie finally make his appearance when we peer back at the early universe?
Why would you think that. We are clearly told that this universe was created by God. It appears to have some parallels with virtual realities of our making. Thus, God is not inside our universe, but outside in his own reality. Our reality is accessible by beings of that universe, however, the reverse is not true.

Grandliseur

I have a comment, and then a question for my theistic friends. The NASA Webb Telescope is going to peer deeper into the universe than ever before next year, and will be viewing the universe as it was shortly after the big bang. So, my question for you is this: For those of you who believe god is an objectively real being whose existence is demonstrable, will this be the momentous event? Will the almighty magical anthropomorphic genie finally make his appearance when we peer back at the early universe?
Since God resides in his own reality and created ours at some time, called the beginning of the heavens and the earth, you can be sure that he is not in ours. Though, he has access to ours in every way, just like a programmer of a virtual world would have access to his domain.

Rational Agnostic

The view of God as a being, a big sky daddy, is at best a relic of an earlier and more ignorant era. There are some, of course, who think of the divine as a big piñata that delivers goodies under the right conditions, but that primitive view is less and less evident.

That's the god of the bible spot on.

Grandliseur

Yeah, we're told that by nomadic bronze age goat-herders who knew nothing about science. Point granted.
There are many anti-theists here. You may have your opinion as you like. But, if you look at the question, it did address a religious issue. If you have nothing worthwhile to add to the religious comments except insults, go worship your hot rock mineral soup that formed all life, I call that kind, 'low life'. Truly logical, right! ;);)

It is soo much more logical to have things make themselves, don't you think! I never buy anything anymore, I see a Mercedes - it must be mine as well as yours, since it made itself. My dishes do themselves everyday. I assemble stuff on my lawn and my house builds itself as long as I wait a few decades. You guys are soo smart.

You choose your medicine, and I choose mine. Perhaps lay off with the insults, and we can get down to a kinder tone towards each others views.
a question for my theistic friends
I thought you wanted to be friendly. Nasty . . . (can't complete this sentence. But, perhaps you can!)

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

There are many anti-theists here. You may have your opinion as you like. But, if you look at the question, it did address a religious issue. If you have nothing worthwhile to add to the religious comments except insults, go worship your hot rock mineral soup that formed all life, I call that kind, 'low life'. Truly logical, right! ;);)

It is soo much more logical to have things make themselves, don't you think! I never buy anything anymore, I see a Mercedes - it must be mine as well as yours, since it made itself. My dishes do themselves everyday. I assemble stuff on my lawn and my house builds itself as long as I wait a few decades. You guys are soo smart.

You choose your medicine, and I choose mine. Perhaps lay off with the insults, and we can get down to a kinder tone towards each others views.

I thought you wanted to be friendly. Nasty . . . (can't complete this sentence. But, perhaps you can!)

Hot rock mineral soup? Lol I don't know what formed all life but I highly doubt it was the anthropomorphic genie described in Genesis. BTW, I'm not trying to be unfriendly by pointing out that genesis was written by bronze age goat herders. just a fact.

Grandliseur

Hot rock mineral soup? Lol I don't know what formed all life but I highly doubt it was the anthropomorphic genie described in Genesis. BTW, I'm not trying to be unfriendly by pointing out that genesis was written by bronze age goat herders. just a fact.
You have your beliefs, and we have ours, believing the Bible inspired by God.
Your beliefs have no better foundation than ours, it is a belief, a huge faith in nothing doing everything. And, frankly, I have no desire to play ball with you on that subject. However you think of my faith, insults will not result in a kindly exchange.:)

I was simply answering your query. Didn't need to be told about sheepherders and the like. Many people today are worse off than they. They could survive without technology. If the stores closed, ran out of food, I would be dead in two months unless I became a cannibal, in which case I might survive until someone ate me. If I weren't Christian, I would not care if I became a cannibal. Meat is meat. Killing is no longer a sin when god doesn't exist. The moral veneer of society is just that, a microscopic layer where our needs are met. Take that away, and society crumbles in less than a week. o_O

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Will the almighty magical anthropomorphic genie finally make his appearance when we peer back at the early universe?

No. Lord Vishnu will not permit it if it upsets the order and balance of the universe. And it will. He doesn’t take kindly to dudes running amok in the universe. He’s not called Preserver for nothing.

Rational Agnostic

You have your beliefs, and we have ours, believing the Bible inspired by God.
Your beliefs have no better foundation than ours, it is a belief, a huge faith in nothing doing everything. And, frankly, I have no desire to play ball with you on that subject. However you think of my faith, insults will not result in a kindly exchange.:)

I was simply answering your query. Didn't need to be told about sheepherders and the like. Many people today are worse off than they. They could survive without technology. If the stores closed, ran out of food, I would be dead in two months unless I became a cannibal, in which case I might survive until someone ate me. If I weren't Christian, I would not care if I became a cannibal. Meat is meat. Killing is no longer a sin when god doesn't exist. The moral veneer of society is just that, a microscopic layer where our needs are met. Take that away, and society crumbles in less than a week. o_O

Why wouldn't you just kill wild animals like deer, turkey, or go fishing if the power grid were destroyed? Good grief.....

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

He created the universe... so... I think you can figure this answer out yourself!

I would say we can certainly logically deduce him, from what we have already seen of the universe

Grandliseur

Why wouldn't you just kill wild animals like deer, turkey, or go fishing if the power grid were destroyed? Good grief.....
Barely any animals left. Too many humans, don't you think. Anyway, being Christian - I'll have to stick to fish, vegetables and other common meats. You guys are so funny. Reject good, but somehow establish morals for others. :)

gnostic

The Lost One

I am also sceptical about there being any god creating anything as narrated in Genesis.

But I would like to point out one tiny error in your reply.

The author of Genesis, while unknown, but according to traditions the author have attributed to Moses, but there are no evidences that the Genesis was ever written in the “Bronze Age”.

Goat-herders or not, it was written at some points in the Iron Age, but we don’t known “when” in the 1st half of the 1st millennium BCE. But we do know that it was written by Moses.