• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA Is Set To Explore A Massive Metal Asteroid Called ‘Psyche’ That’s Worth Way More Than Our Globa

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It seems to me that if we ever want to build large space stations or large spacecraft, it will make sense to get the raw materials from space, not from sending them up from the Earth on rocket ships.

We Never Know

No Slack
Is it going to cost $10,000 quadrillion to access and use this 'potential' resource? The attempt might advance space travel/exploration but would leave investors with zero net gain.

To me its odd that they chose one supposedly worth big$$$.
Coincidence, doubtful.

MikeF

Premium Member
To me its odd that they chose one supposedly worth big$$$.
Coincidence, doubtful.

Someone else posted that the whole "dollar value" issue is primarily a journalist ploy to generate interest. The legitimate scientific interest in the asteroid relates to it's potential solid metal core giving insight to planet formation.

We Never Know

No Slack
Someone else posted that the whole "dollar value" issue is primarily a journalist ploy to generate interest. The legitimate scientific interest in the asteroid relates to it's potential solid metal core giving insight to planet formation.

From the link "“We don’t know what we’re going to find,” said Elkins-Tanton. “I’m expecting us to be entirely surprised.”

It might be icy, gold, or iron.

wellwisher

This would make for an interesting science fiction movie. Picture this scenario. The scientists send a probe to the metal asteroid and discover it contains lots of very useful and precious metals. The governments and industrial leaders of the earth come to an understanding, that there is a lot of money and social advantages to be made for all of humanity. They decide to do something and start the harvest of materials.

To harvest the asteroid, they come up many scenarios, but the one that gains the most steam is the provocative idea of tug boating the asteroid, into an earth orbit. Once in orbit, it will become its own manufacturing base It will also be used to ship raw materials to the earth, with a little push.

This all sounds all good on paper, and with nearly everyone in the world having gold glitter in their eyes, nobody, but a few young scientists and religious leaders consider that this massive tug boat project could have a very major flaw and pitfall.

What happens is as the massive asteroid is tugged into earth orbit, its huge miscalculated mass and inertia, causes the asteroid to drift a little too low for a sustained earth orbit. The asteroid orbit slowly starts to decay and it begins to falls to the earth more and more with each revolution; possible planet killer.

There are several plot ways to deal with the scenario. I am not going to finish. I hope others can add to the plot. This is science fiction and not fact, so have fun.