• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA crashes DART spacecraft into asteroid in world's 1st planetary defense test

We Never Know

No Slack
Is knocking a nonthreatening asteroid of its course a smart thing?
What will its course now be in the long run?

"The spacecraft, NASA's Double Asteroid Rendezvous Test (DART) probe, slammed into a small asteroid 7 million miles (11 million kilometers) from Earth tonight (Sept. 26) in what the U.S. space agency has billed as the world's first planetary defense test. The goal: to change the orbit of the space rock — called Dimorphos — around its larger asteroid parent Didymos enough to prove humanity could deflect a dangerous asteroid if one was headed for Earth.

"As far as we can tell, our first planetary defense test was a success," said Elena Adams, DART's mission systems engineer here at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHUAPL), after the successful crash. "I think Earthlings should sleep better. Definitely, I will."

NASA crashes DART spacecraft into asteroid in world's 1st planetary defense test

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

"The spacecraft, NASA's Double Asteroid Rendezvous Test (DART) probe, slammed into a small asteroid 7 million miles (11 million kilometers) from Earth tonight (Sept. 26) in what the U.S. space agency has billed as the world's first planetary defense test. The goal: to change the orbit of the space rock — called Dimorphos — around its larger asteroid parent Didymos enough to prove humanity could deflect a dangerous asteroid if one was headed for Earth.

"As far as we can tell, our first planetary defense test was a success," said Elena Adams, DART's mission systems engineer here at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHUAPL), after the successful crash. "I think Earthlings should sleep better. Definitely, I will."

I watched it LIVE on youtube, it was a neat experience.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It is in no way a threat to earth. It was a test to see if we can alter the orbit of the moon of an asteroid to a significant degree. It's to see if we can move an object heading towards earth. So quite useful since earth has been hit by objects before.

Suave

Simulated character

Perhaps we should consider having mineral rich mini-Psyche type asteroids trajected onto the Moon's surface where they could be mined by lunar A.I. miners subservient to enriching humanity.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member

I think man has no idea of the consequences of his actions, but experience has taught us they always come back to bite him, and the usual script goes, "How can we solve this problem?"
However, we can't fault him for trying... can we ?
They have made many advancements, and made some strides.

"Hooray! We have proven a small asteroid is no match for us."
Never mind asteroid head toward earth all the time, the vast majority of which are small and burn up in earth's atmosphere... much of which we are already destroying.

What about the Goliaths?
"Well given time we will have bigger darts for the Goliaths?"
In the meantime, we can live with all the other problems, as billions of dollars get poured into a million years chanced event
small impacts, they happen all the time, especially given that about 15,000 tons of space dust hit Earth every year. And large impacts are rare, and we're talking millions of years rare.
Government’s biggest problem is lack of funds
Shortage of funds has become the “gravest problem” of the government amid the coronavirus pandemic

Half the world lacks access to essential health services, 100 million still pushed into extreme poverty because of health expenses
At least half of the world’s population cannot obtain essential health services, according to a new report from the World Bank and WHO. And each year, large numbers of households are being pushed into poverty because they must pay for health care out of their own pockets.
Currently, 800 million people spend at least 10 percent of their household budgets on health expenses for themselves, a sick child or other family member. For almost 100 million people these expenses are high enough to push them into extreme poverty, forcing them to survive on just $1.90 or less a day

Can we fault man for trying? Maybe he cannot do any better. Perhaps there is a reason his efforts seem a bit... disorderly; disorganized; chaotic even... for lack of a better word.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The goal: to change the orbit of the space rock — called Dimorphos — around its larger asteroid parent Didymos enough to prove humanity could deflect a dangerous asteroid if one was headed for Earth.
Not enough and I do not think the result has yet been analyzed. It is just the first experiment.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think man has no idea of the consequences of his actions, but experience has taught us they always come back to bite him, and the usual script goes, "How can we solve this problem?"
However, we can't fault him for trying... can we ?
They have made many advancements, and made some strides.

"Hooray! We have proven a small asteroid is no match for us."
Never mind asteroid head toward earth all the time, the vast majority of which are small and burn up in earth's atmosphere... much of which we are already destroying.

What about the Goliaths?
"Well given time we will have bigger darts for the Goliaths?"
In the meantime, we can live with all the other problems, as billions of dollars get poured into a million years chanced event
small impacts, they happen all the time, especially given that about 15,000 tons of space dust hit Earth every year. And large impacts are rare, and we're talking millions of years rare.
Government’s biggest problem is lack of funds
Shortage of funds has become the “gravest problem” of the government amid the coronavirus pandemic

Half the world lacks access to essential health services, 100 million still pushed into extreme poverty because of health expenses
At least half of the world’s population cannot obtain essential health services, according to a new report from the World Bank and WHO. And each year, large numbers of households are being pushed into poverty because they must pay for health care out of their own pockets.
Currently, 800 million people spend at least 10 percent of their household budgets on health expenses for themselves, a sick child or other family member. For almost 100 million people these expenses are high enough to push them into extreme poverty, forcing them to survive on just $1.90 or less a day

Can we fault man for trying? Maybe he cannot do any better. Perhaps there is a reason his efforts seem a bit... disorderly; disorganized; chaotic even... for lack of a better word.
Your last few words might have produced a laugh if they had been at all funny rather than simply displaying your lack of understanding.

We (our scientists and engineers) are actually getting quite good at such things now, what with this event, the landing on an asteroid earlier, and the helicopter drone on Mars, and this being just another of the experiments to determine what we are capable of doing so as to benefit and enrich our understanding. With such often leading as to ways for preserving our human existence, given the number of threats that do actually exist rather than any simply in our minds.

The asteroid impact test - why some seem so intent on misrepresenting or distorting this is incomprehensible - was a TEST, and a safe one, so as to understand the nature of any such defences we might require (given the number of such objects threatening the Earth) - and such is for the safety of all, not just those who carry out such tests. So, just be grateful. :oops:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Your last few words might have produced a laugh if they had been at all funny rather than simply displaying your lack of understanding.

We (our scientists and engineers) are actually getting quite good at such things now, what with this event, the landing on an asteroid earlier, and the helicopter drone on Mars, and this being just another of the experiments to determine what we are capable of doing so as to benefit and enrich our understanding. With such often leading as to ways for preserving our human existence, given the number of threats that do actually exist rather than any simply in our minds.

The asteroid impact test - why some seem so intent on misrepresenting or distorting this is incomprehensible - was a TEST, and a safe one, so as to understand the nature of any such defences we might require (given the number of such objects threatening the Earth) - and such is for the safety of all, not just those who carry out such tests. So, just be grateful. :oops:
Well Mock, your opening words are laughable, but not that I find it funny, since it's common, and an old script to me, and it does demonstrates your lack of understanding..
Interesting how we see each others lack of understanding, but we don't have any, huh. Don't you find that interesting? :grinning:

Earth is in the path of what? Asteroids; Solar flares... What else?

Hurricanes are devastating lives every year... not millions of years.
Help me understand... have you given up on tackling cyclones. Can't deflect those... Too strong for yah?
Project Stormfury: An attempt to control the weather
The idea of controlling the weather is not a new one.
The hope of keeping bad weather away from people sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately, for the most part, it's an idea that we'll never realize.

After 20 years of experimentation, have you given up? Help me understand. Or don't you understand?

I'll tell you why it's the latter, in a minute.

Tsunamis are triggered by earthquakes, hundreds of which strike Japan each year.
An offshore quake in 1707 is said to have caused a tsunami that hit the island of Shikoku, leaving several thousand people dead.

Earthquakes! One of mans headache! :dizzy:
Scientists hope that the devastating earthquake that shook Nepal on 25 April could lead to a better understanding of seismicity in the region and prompt more efforts toward earthquake resilience.
Scientists cannot predict or forecast the time or dates of earthquakes beyond saying that where they have happened in the past, they will happen again in the future. However, “the understanding that Kathmandu was at considerable risk has been a well-publicized fact for many decades, certainly since the last very big one in 1934,”

That earthquake, estimated at just magnitude 7.8, killed about 4000 people, in just one day... and earthquakes are a yearly occurrence. Not millions of years. Landslides and avalanches, are only a few of the threats. It's not just the structures, is it.
Help me understand... Are earthquakes unstoppable?
Help me understand. Or don't you understand?

Need I get into the state half the world find itself in. Poverty; Unsanitary conditions; lack of or limited health care...
I mean, I am not saying these things because I don't understand.
I understand that the experts - world organizations - are saying these things. They understand.

Even in one of the above articles, one expert said, people have everyday concerns which are much more real and pressing - like pollution, air and water quality, traffic, and simply poverty.
What are you doing to address those concerns?

Isn't it a fact the reason you don't understand Mock, is because you are part of those who cannot do any better, because of the said reason man's efforts seem a bit... disorderly; disorganized; chaotic even... for lack of a better word?

Seems that way to me.
Man's priorities do not appear off to you?
Haven't you noticed that though mankind wants peace, they cannot seem to achieve it?
Have you notice whom the experts say are destroying the earth; affecting the very things we are seeking to control... etc. and what they are doing, that contributes to such problems?

Do you know why Mock? Or maybe you don't understand... It's clear you don't.
Man does not look organized and united to me. I understand the reason why. You can too... if you want to. :)

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well Mock, your opening words are laughable, but not that I find it funny, since it's common, and an old script to me, and it does demonstrates your lack of understanding..
Interesting how we see each others lack of understanding, but we don't have any, huh. Don't you find that interesting? :grinning:

Earth is in the path of what? Asteroids; Solar flares... What else?

Hurricanes are devastating lives every year... not millions of years.
Help me understand... have you given up on tackling cyclones. Can't deflect those... Too strong for yah?
Project Stormfury: An attempt to control the weather
The idea of controlling the weather is not a new one.
The hope of keeping bad weather away from people sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately, for the most part, it's an idea that we'll never realize.

After 20 years of experimentation, have you given up? Help me understand. Or don't you understand?

Tsunamis are triggered by earthquakes, hundreds of which strike Japan each year.
An offshore quake in 1707 is said to have caused a tsunami that hit the island of Shikoku, leaving several thousand people dead.

Earthquakes! One of mans headache! :dizzy:
Scientists hope that the devastating earthquake that shook Nepal on 25 April could lead to a better understanding of seismicity in the region and prompt more efforts toward earthquake resilience.
Scientists cannot predict or forecast the time or dates of earthquakes beyond saying that where they have happened in the past, they will happen again in the future. However, “the understanding that Kathmandu was at considerable risk has been a well-publicized fact for many decades, certainly since the last very big one in 1934,”

That earthquake, estimated at just magnitude 7.8, killed about 4000 people, in just one day... and earthquakes are a yearly occurrence. Not millions of years. Landslides and avalanches, are only a few of the threats. It's not just the structures, is it.
Help me understand... Are earthquakes unstoppable?
Help me understand. Or don't you understand?

Need I get into the state half the world find itself in. Poverty; Unsanitary conditions; lack of or limited health care...
I mean, I am not saying these things because I don't understand.
I understand that the experts - world organizations - are saying these things. They understand.

Even in one of the above articles, one expert said, people have everyday concerns which are much more real and pressing - like pollution, air and water quality, traffic, and simply poverty.
What are you doing to address those concerns?

Isn't it a fact the reason you don't understand Mock, is because you are part of those who cannot do any better, because of the said reason man's efforts seem a bit... disorderly; disorganized; chaotic even... for lack of a better word?

Seems that way to me.
Man's priorities do not appear off to you?
Haven't you noticed that though mankind wants peace, they cannot seem to achieve it?
Have you notice whom the experts say are destroying the earth; affecting the very things we are seeking to control... etc. and what they are doing, that contributes to such problems?

Do you know why Mock? Or maybe you don't understand... It's clear you don't.
Man does not look organized and united to me. I understand the reason why. You can too... if you want to. :)
Not very useful at all frankly. Given you don't seem to like science, often have it in for any defending such, and can't probably appreciate what actually goes on concerning scientific research, I'll leave you to wallow in your laughter. :oops:

All the rest is simply - what about this, that, and the other - so rather pitiful.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Not very useful at all frankly. Given you don't seem to like science, often have it in for any defending such, and can't probably appreciate what actually goes on concerning scientific research, I'll leave you to wallow in your laughter. :oops:

All the rest is simply - what about this, that, and the other - so rather pitiful.
What's pitiful, and pathetic actually, is the thinking of people who cannot take useful criticism of their "religion".
I can rightly call it religion, because Scientism is the opinion that science and the scientific method are the best or only way to render truth about the world and reality, and sad to say, many of its adherents ignore any facts that are considered by anyone, including scientists.

The first stupid... yes, you heard me right Mock... the first stupid comment they make is, 'You are against science.' Or 'You don't like science.' Or 'You don't understand science.' Rather than reasonably discuss the facts.

When scientists say these same things, they can't say the above, so what do they say... 'those scientists are crack.'
Pathetic.

I'll leave you to wallow in that state. :)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What's pitiful, and pathetic actually, is the thinking of people who cannot take useful criticism of their "religion".
I can rightly call it religion, because Scientism is the opinion that science and the scientific method are the best or only way to render truth about the world and reality, and sad to say, many of its adherents ignore any facts that are considered by anyone, including scientists.

The first stupid... yes, you heard me right Mock... the first stupid comment they make is, 'You are against science.' Or 'You don't like science.' Or 'You don't understand science.' Rather than reasonably discuss the facts.

When scientists say these same things, they can't say the above, so what do they say... 'those scientists are crack.'
Pathetic.

I'll leave you to wallow in that state. :)
Best to do so too, since we have little in common and seemingly never will have such. I'll leave you to fester in the bubble that is your religion - like so many others in their little bubbles. :D

At least I know when such is a waste of time. :oops:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Best to do so too, since we have little in common and seemingly never will have such.
Too bad... for you. :)

I'll leave you to fester in the bubble that is your religion - like so many others in their little bubbles. :D
Your bubble isn't plastic, as you imagine it is. It won't make a loud pop when it bursts... Or maybe it will. :)

At least I know when such is a waste of time. :oops:
What you think you know isn't any different to what scientists over the years thought they knew.
Like you, they were wrong.
:)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Too bad... for you. :)

Your bubble isn't plastic, as you imagine it is. It won't make a loud pop when it bursts... Or maybe it will. :)

What you think you know isn't any different to what scientists over the years thought they knew.
Like you, they were wrong.
:)
Keep at it. I'll not be watching many of your comments until you learn so as not to make so many ad homs and general sniping as to the non-religious. :oops:

As for many, the words themselves damn them. :)

Last edited: