• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names

Shimi

Lupus Ovis Pelle Indutus
I have always wondered about our names. For many of us we are given names at a young age and they stay that way forever. However I do know of some cultures that, traditionally, when a person "comes of age" they adopt a new name that they pick themselves.

So, what does a name mean to you? Does it hold power? Should a person be able to choose their own name? Do they hold spiritual/religious meaning? And, are you content with yours?

Let me know what your thoughts are :)

P.S. Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forums. I was very unsure if I was posting in the appropriate section :confused:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes this is not a religious debate. More like a general discussion. It's about names, not religion. If you want to change it, just post you want it moved to the appropriate part of the forum in this thread. The mods'll pick up the distress call ;)

Shimi

Lupus Ovis Pelle Indutus
Yes this is not a religious debate. I assume? It's about names, not religion. If you want to change it, just post you want it moved to the appropriate part of the forum in this thread. The mods'll pick up the distress call ;)

Yes I thought I may have posted this in the wrong place :(

Would the mods please move this thread to the appropriate section of the forums? Much thanks!

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
A name imo is something you would call me. Nothing else. My actions define my identity.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I have always wondered about our names. For many of us we are given names at a young age and they stay that way forever. However I do know of some cultures that, traditionally, when a person "comes of age" they adopt a new name that they pick themselves.

So, what does a name mean to you? Does it hold power? Should a person be able to choose their own name? Do they hold spiritual/religious meaning? And, are you content with yours?

P.S. Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forums. I was very unsure if I was posting in the appropriate section :confused:
Peace be on you.
Muslims names are usually derived from Arabic meaningful words. These words may be linked = to many of Attributes of God [e.g. Abdullah (servant of Allah), Amatullah (feminine version of servant of Allah)] or
= the given to baby name may have part as name of Holy Prophet of Islam [e.g. Muhammad Ahmad - both were names of Holy Prophet (sa)] or
= the given name contain name or names of previous Prophets [e.g. Ibrahim (Abraham) ] or Exalted female [e.g. Maryam, Khadijah, Fatimah, Aisha, .....]
= the given name is the name of any of Companion of Prophet of Islam [e.g. Hamza...]
= the given name may be simply a good name [Hamidah (f-praised), Nusrat (m or f help) ]

Elders or parents give names.
Ahmadiyya Muslims request their Khalifah to grant a name.
In one case, the father of baby boy saw a baby boy was given to him by an angel and name was told too. Father wrote all matter to Khalifah of time
Narrates: Progeny of Parents who loved Allah: Muhammad Zafrulla Khan and Abdus Salamc

When non muslims become Ahmadiyya-Muslims, part of their previous name is sometimes kept e.g.
Abdus Salam Madison [A Danish ]

Last edited:

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Names can be a few different things, such as a title (depending on your fame or religious beliefs).
For me, a name is just a more specific way of saying "hey you" or the like, not at all a power.
People should be able to decide there own name, no issues with that from me.

I'm content with my first name, Austin, because it was my grandfather, whom I respected, that gave it to me.
I changed my last name to his as well, I don't want to be affiliated with my parents more than legally necessary.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,

Mostly I like having a name of something very close to my heart.
I've always hated by name 'Subhankar' which means virtuous. Mainly because no teacher could pronounce it correctly.
When I converted to Christianity about 4 years ago (MCC Rochester), I was given the name Zachary.
Truth be told, I begged them to name me so cuz it sounded cool and was the same name as my Crush; Zac Efron. :p
Now that I went back to Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism, I m starting to like this name.
Subhankar Zac. :)

I firmly believe that people should be able to choose their own name. If possible, I'll keep a name that is one of the common names of Lord Krishna. :)
Or maybe an Arabic masculine name like Fardin. ;)
I don't know. For me, it's like a clothing store. So many choices.
If possible, I'd change my name every week. :p

GoodbyeDave

I think it depends on the sort of name your society uses. In most non-Western parts of the world, names are meaningful words. In that context, it's natural to change your name if you find it inappropriate.

In the West, most don't know what their names mean. I'm David John: I know that David is the Hebrew dawid beloved, but I can't remember what John was in Hebrew. My mother just picked them because she liked them.

I know that some Pagans, like Muslims, change their names to something appropriate, but I've not felt the urge. I could always become Hekataios, Asklepiodotos, or something, but it would feel like play-acting.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hmm... in my culture, all local non alien to the culture names have meanings. People here tend to select names for their meanings for their children. They believe (culturally) that the meaning of the name has an impact on holder.

Burl

I was named Burley supposedly after a family tradition which thankfully ends with me.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In Iceland surnames change with each generation, leading, I'm told, to extremely complicated phone books.
If, for example Jon Eriksson had a son and daughter, their surnames wouldn't be Eriksson, but Jonsson and Jonsdottir.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
In Saudi Arabia family name are traditionally kept and first three names. It's become official to keep at least four names on National ID's. Changing names are allowed but under special rules for the family name, and normally no problem for the first name. Wives are never taken under the family name of the husband.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In Iceland surnames change with each generation, leading, I'm told, to extremely complicated phone books.
If, for example Jon Eriksson had a son and daughter, their surnames wouldn't be Eriksson, but Jonsson and Jonsdottir.

Yep, Icelandic phone directories are a horror. And to complicate it further, when a woman gets married she does not become Mrs. Husbandsname. She retains her birth name of e.g. Johanna Jónsdóttir. Moreover, she's addressed by her full name in formal situations.

Because Icelandic, and its immediate predecessor Old Norse, are moderately inflected (4 cases, 3 genders, 3 numbers), the genitive of Jón, Eirik and Thór are Jóns, Eiriks, and Thors, respectively. English uses 's, Icelandic doesn't. So we get Jónsson, Eiriksson and Thórsson. Occasionally the names are matronymic, but they are overwhelmingly patronymic. There are names from the mother like like Sigurd Frejyuson ("Sigurd son of Freyja", Freyja being inflected to Frejyu, not Frejyas). It's a fun language. :)