• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name that budgie!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
EDIT: She's been named Pandora. She's also gotten calm enough for me to get some good pictures of her! Here we go:

Picture011b.jpg

"Helloooo!"

Picture009b.jpg

I adore the markings on her chest. They just look awesome to me :D

Picture008b.jpg

"Ooo, a window!"

---

Hey guys! Yesterday I got a budgie (also called a parakeet in the US), and I'm having the worst time naming her. You guys think you could help me out here? (These pictures aren't the best since she's in her cage, but I can't have her out yet since she's still adjusting to her new home)

The only kind of names I'm actively trying to avoid are names with hissing sounds in them... they can scare budgies, since their natural predators hiss.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jensa said:
Hey guys! Yesterday I got a budgie (also called a parakeet in the US), and I'm having the worst time naming her. You guys think you could help me out here? (These pictures aren't the best since she's in her cage, but I can't have her out yet since she's still adjusting to her new home)

P10100052c.jpg
P1010004c.jpg

The only kind of names I'm actively trying to avoid are names with hissing sounds in them... they can scare budgies, since their natural predators hiss.
Oh, cute! We had one when I was a kid. His name was Teako. He was a great bird, very, very tame. We taught him to say a few things, like his name (Teako was an easy name for him to pronounce), and "pretty bird." He used to like to share breakfast with us. My mom would make pancakes and he'd hop from one person's plate to another, picking at the edges of the pancakes and getting his feet sticky in the syrup. I realize how totally unsanitary that must sound, but I can't remember any of us ever getting sick from him.

When you decide on a name, be sure to let us know what it is.

Kathryn

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Awwe, that sounds really cute Katzpur :) I don't find it gross at all, but I hesitate to let either of my birds (I also have a conure) to eat from what I've already bitten from... a germ in human saliva can sometimes make them sick.

Right now I've tentatively decided on 'Pandora,' mostly because she's the opposite of the stereotypical spastic budgie. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jensa said:
I hesitate to let either of my birds (I also have a conure) to eat from what I've already bitten from... a germ in human saliva can sometimes make them sick.
Yikes! I didn't know that! I thought we were the ones at risk!

Ceridwen018

My friend had a bird named "Loki" and I thought that was a cute name. Pandora is cute though too. She really is a beautiful bird!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Katzpur said:
Yikes! I didn't know that! I thought we were the ones at risk!
There is a bacteria birds carry that can make us sick, but unless you try to stick your tongue down the bird's throat there's not much of a chance of getting it. ;)

And thanks Ceridwen... I think she's beautiful too, but I may be biased. :D

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
How'bout a word in romanian?...ask me to translate some word that you like and see if you like how the translation sounds.

emmaleebee

Her coloring makes me think of lemon/lime sherbet so my first suggestion would be "Sherbet" or "Sherbie", but does that have too much of a hissing sound? you could take off the s and just call her "Herbbie"--I think that's cute (even though it's a she). Another suggestion is "Limon" (lemon and lime combined).

I also like Ceridwen's suggestion of "Loki". I am assuming that is pronounced "low-kee" ?

Good luck and have fun!

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Jensa said:
There is a bacteria birds carry that can make us sick, but unless you try to stick your tongue down the bird's throat there's not much of a chance of getting it. ;)

And thanks Ceridwen... I think she's beautiful too, but I may be biased. :D
There's Psittacosis, but thats not a huge risk unless you're respiratory system is already compromised to an extent.
I had a Galah called Chuckles at one point...I was teaching her to laugh like Felix the Cat, but unfortunately she had a stroke and died.
I also had a blue budgie at my dad's place, which I called Brick. Partially because he couldn't fly and partially because - coupled with that disability - he was as dumb as one. He used to climb up the curtains and furniture, get on the kitchen bench or a table, and then run as fast as his little budgie legs would carry him until he got to the edge and fell off. Not too bright, that budgie.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Oooh, I love galahs! Well, I love cockatoos in general. So loving :D I'd never trust myself with one, though... I'd hate myself if s/he started plucking because of something I did.

Aaand I ended up on deciding that Pandora suits her best :) Now that she's calmed down more, I got some better pictures, too!

backbudgie.jpg
frontbudgie.jpg

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Oops.. I thought editing my first entry would show that I added stuff on the forum page--guess not. :eek: At any rate, new pictures at the top!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
She is sweet, I love budgies........at one time a girl-friend of mine and I decided to put up an aviary in her parent's back garden (wit her Mum's permission, of course) - it was very large, and we had about thirty odd in there. Whe she ditched me, she kept the birds........:(

Cynic

Jensa said:
EDIT: She's gotten calm enough for me to get some good pictures of her! Here we go:
"Helloooo!"
I adore the markings on her chest. They just look awesome to me :D
"Ooo, a window!"
---

Maybe "Sky"? Perhaps maybe if she had more blue...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Michel: That's awful :( I hope she took good care of them... I hate it when pets are seperated from their people.

Cynic: Oops, I forgot to edit the first post to reflect I'd already named her Pandora... I'll go do that now. :D