• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name something still exclusively for boys in 2019?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point. I grew up around farms and I saw that all the time. Farm families did what was needed and did not quibble about whether it was for girls or boys. Some probably did, but women on tractors or doing manual labor was not unusual.
Exactly. Everyone I’ve ever known even remotely associated with farming life, young and old, seems to take it for granted that a female should be driving tractors, cleaning stables, bailing etc.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Oh, I thought it was liberal pressure from the media and legislation that forced Boy Scouts to accept females. Boy Scouts did this of its own free will? Nobody hen-pecked them into submission?

Private employers, speaking of private entities, (under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 legislation) can't lawfully refuse to hire me solely because I'm an older white male. I guess the civil rights laws don't pertain to private clubs, not-for-profit entities or churches which is why the Catholic church can still deny ordination to women.

I'm so sick of gender hypocrisy.
They kind of did change policy on their own to include girls because they are a dying organization. The Girl Scouts were a bit peeved that they did because they think it will lessen their membership rolls.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
They would have had teams of mules and horses back then to work the plow then but tractors were around in the era of The Waltons and early episodes of Lassie cenetred around farm life. You won't ever see Amish women today behind the plow.

The last era of Lassie, the Holden Ranch of the early-mid 1970's, was all about men and boys doing ranch work. During the Ranger Stewart era of Lassie, only men were forest rangers out in the woods with boots on the ground: riding horses, shooting deer that threatened new tree crops, tending sick trees, buzzing about in helicopters, doing firefighting/smoke jumping and dangerous work out of doors, riding the wild rivers in kayaks, doings search and rescue and driving snow machines in the winter. The women of the US forest service worked the telephones, radios and did office work in the 1960's.
Dude, television is not reality

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly. Everyone I’ve ever known even remotely associated with farming life, young and old, seems to take it for granted that a female should be driving tractors, cleaning stables, bailing etc.
I agree. Though admittedly he is correct that our culture and related cultures have traditionally separated a lot of work into "women's work" and "men's work". Changing ideas on that were accelerated by labor demands resulting from World War II, but change was already taking place prior to that. Because labor demands on a farm have always been high, that may not have been the best example to choose in pointing out our changing culture. Then base it on fictional depictions of some imagined ideal did not add further credibility.

I think what has changed in part is our recognition that work has no gender and is just work. Whoever can do it, needs to do it or wants to do it, should do it regardless of whether they are male or female. And get paid the same for equal work of the same quality.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
They kind of did change policy on their own to include girls because they are a dying organization. The Girl Scouts were a bit peeved that they did because they think it will lessen their membership rolls.
Both of them are in decline and I did hear that the Girl Scouts were not happy with the decision to let girls into boy scouts or scouting, I think they are calling it now.

We Never Know

No Slack

Not everyone had sons back in the day. Some only had daughter's and daughter's did the work of the males. However when there were sons, they did most of if not all of the farming manual labor.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I feel offended as a male that my sex is often excluded from many things including a cultural identity of HIS own. Yes, female-only things continue to multiply like rabbits.

I feel DEPRIVED!
It's not socially just!
It's NOT fair!
It's not righteous!

The Girl Scouts (with that unfeminine connotation SCOUTS) continue to be a female-only thing.

Boys are totally cheated.
The fellows are robbed blind.
I'm ANGRY!
I want other people to get angry with me, not at me.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I demand old-fashioned payback for my sex.
I demand old-fashioned justice for the sex of Adam,
Abraham, David, Jesus Christ and St. Paul.

I declare social war on militant feminists and militant leftists.
I must say that this thread is a little weird. Were you planning on trying to join the boy scouts? The girl scouts?

I cannot really understand why it matters to you that a private organization has chosen to accept any children who want to join. The best i can imagine is that you believe that boys in our society need a place where they can be socially involved with other boys and only other boys. If you think there is a need that is not being met, then go and start such an organization.

But, in response to your OP: the freemasons and Demolay both offer exclusively male fraternities. Then pretty much every university fraternity is exclusively male. There still exist all boys schools and boarding schools. Finally prisons are segregated based on sex.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I feel offended as a male that my sex is often excluded from many things including a cultural identity of HIS own. Yes, female-only things continue to multiply like rabbits.

I feel DEPRIVED!
It's not socially just!
It's NOT fair!
It's not righteous!

The Girl Scouts (with that unfeminine connotation SCOUTS) continue to be a female-only thing.

Boys are totally cheated.
The fellows are robbed blind.
I'm ANGRY!
I want other people to get angry with me, not at me.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I demand old-fashioned payback for my sex.
I demand old-fashioned justice for the sex of Adam,
Abraham, David, Jesus Christ and St. Paul.

I declare social war on militant feminists and militant leftists.
You can join the Girl Scouts if you want. Are you actually going to do it, or just have an armchair whinge about how terribly hard done by you are? Put up or shut up.

Jonathan Bailey

I must say that this thread is a little weird. Were you planning on trying to join the boy scouts? The girl scouts?

I cannot really understand why it matters to you that a private organization has chosen to accept any children who want to join. The best i can imagine is that you believe that boys in our society need a place where they can be socially involved with other boys and only other boys. If you think there is a need that is not being met, then go and start such an organization.

But, in response to your OP: the freemasons and Demolay both offer exclusively male fraternities. Then pretty much every university fraternity is exclusively male. There still exist all boys schools and boarding schools. Finally prisons are segregated based on sex.

Yes, you go it!
You are ever so right to imagine this.

I don't have the means to start my own organization.
I can barely afford to pay the summer electric bill and my rent.

Those with means don't give a damn about boys and male bonding for them.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, you go it!
You are ever so right imagine this.

Do you not think society is better when both boys and girls play better together? or is it something wrong with girls?

Kangaroo Feathers

Of course ye has no interest in joining the Girl Scouts, he's just having a whinge about how terrible the world is now thi gs are different from the 1p0% accurate documentary "Happy Days", back when women and ******s knew their place. These types never have any foow through, they just whinge about how terrible it is things are different, but refuse to do anything constructive about it. Dude could start his own "boys only" youth group, or become a leader in an existing one, but instead he'll just whinge that some other group he has no involvement in has changed without his express permition. IIRC Girl Scouts allow male leaders, Guides Australia, the Australian equivalent certainly does, if his complaint were legitimate and soncere he'd be out actively trying to join the Girl Scouts, but, of course, he has absolutely no desire or intention to do such a thing, he's purely making an argument of false equivalence. Dude could even just join the plain old Scouts as a leader, maybe discover first hand how beneficial it is for both young men AND women, and rewarding to a leadef to work with both, but of course he won't do that, as it would require effort and an openness to change.

Jonathan Bailey

You can join the Girl Scouts if you want. Are you actually going to do it, or just have an armchair whinge about how terribly hard done by you are? Put up or shut up.
I don't personally want to join the Girl Scouts. I'm too old anyway.

I don't put up or shut up: I just boycott organizations I don't approve of.

Girls Scouts has never gotten my support and as long as Boy Scouts allows
females to join, I will never ever buy another Christmas tree from them or volunteer
service for them again. This is a case of voting with one's wallet.

I would rather make contributions to Gun Owners of America being as poor as I am.

No, I will never send just one cent to NAMBLA.
I don't approve sex between adults and minors.

When I say I favor boys-only organizations, I prefer:

1. the word BOY to actually be in the organization's namesake
2. the organization to be wholesome, moral and law-abiding
3. the organization not necessarily be for male troubled youth

Hanna Boys Center in Sonoma County, California is indeed male-only but for negative reasons.

I want boy-only stuff that exists for positive reasons as well. Not all males are bad people
or troubled. Boy Scouts used to be such a shining example of such organization before
they decided to smoke some bad crap and let girls in.

Jonathan Bailey

Do you not think society is better when both boys and girls play better together? or is it something wrong with girls?

No, boys shouldn't play with dolls and girls have no business with machine guns.

Children need to bond with their own sex mainly to develop properly.

Apparently, Girl Scouts still believes they are for females only and I frankly can agree with them there
though I hate the term SCOUTS for a female organization. Girl Guides sounds much better.
SCOUTS sounds butch.

Apparently, Boys Scouts doesn't believe in male-only bonding anymore. It makes me ashamed to be an American when things become this radical. That girls are in the so-called Boy Scouts these days makes me want to go to the toilet and heave. Young men are totally sissified these days as it is.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No, boys shouldn't play with dolls and girls have no business with machine guns.

Apparently, Girl Scouts still believes they are for females only and I frankly can agree with them there.
I agree that gender neutrality is not something to seek, but i dont see a problem with boys understand more about girls way of playing games too or the other way. to be only masculine or feminine is not what we are. all human beings has a little of both.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yes, you go it!
You are ever so right imagine this.

And here come the excuses. "Why can't SOMEBODY ELSE do it??!"

People who genuinely believe in causes and movements go out and fundraise and find grass roots support, or at least make the effort to find an existing group that has similar values to join. People just having an armchair whinge complain loudly, but make any possible excuse rather than actually attempting to make the thing they claim to want happen.

If you REALLY believed in a boys only group, you'd either found one or find one to join. Plainly you're just having a "WAAAH! THINGS ARE DIFFERENT TO MY HALF REMEMBERED IDEALIZED YOUTH AND I DON'T LIKE IT!" pity party.

Kangaroo Feathers

Apparently, Girl Scouts still believes they are for females only and I frankly can agree with them there
though I hate the term SCOUTS for a female organization. Girl Guides sounds much better.
SCOUTS sounds butch.

Apparently, Boys Scouts doesn't believe in male-only bonding anymore. It makes me ashamed to be an American when things become this radical. That girls are in the so-called Boy Scouts these days makes me want to go to the toilet and heave. Young men are totally sissified these days as it is.
Pretty sure the people actually in Scouting are quite happy with how things are.

Kangaroo Feathers

I agree that gender neutrality is not something to seek, but i dont see a problem with boys understand more about girls way of playing games too or the other way. to be only masculine or feminine is not what we are. all human beings has a little of both.
We had girls in Scouts when I was a youth member, and I grew up to join the army and kill people, "like a real man", just fine. OP is just having a self indulgent cry that society has changed and left him behind.

Jonathan Bailey

Pretty sure the people actually in Scouting are quite happy with how things are.

Thankfully, I probably won't live forever to see things get even worse.

"People" aren't even human anymore. The times have killed humanity off as I knew it when I was younger.

The crappiness of 'now' dampens my zest for life.

This planet (if it still is even Earth) has become impossible for old-school humans like me to even live in. It's polluted with gross stupidity or perhaps widespread mental retardation due to mothers who did dope and smoked while pregnant.

I don't even know what planet this is anymore.

I see weird two-legged creatures all around me as if some aliens abducted me in my sleep and took me to some odd world outside of the MIlky Way galaxy. I see these weird creatures with beards and tattoos. I see weird two-legged creatures with body-piercing. I see weird two-legged creatures with Red Corvette shade hair, blue hair, purple hair and green hair. I see weird two legged creatures with high voices and buzz cuts. Maybe I've died and I'm already in hell. I see these brain-dead zombies with smartphones in hand all over the place like a baby has a pacifier in his mouth.

It can't be still earth, can it?

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Thankfully, I probably won't live forever to see things get even worse.

"People" aren't even human anymore. The times have killed humanity off as I knew it when I was younger.

The crappiness of 'now' dampens my zest for life.
images.jpeg