• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name of God is God

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A man-made god is idol, not True God.

All gods we know of are man made. We take ideals from others to create a God which we invest belief in.
Ever person has their own god(s). Just because we might find some commonality between them doesn't unify them.

You want to believe your God is everyone's God is just not true. Your God that you know, have knowledge exist only inside your head.

If there is a True, singular God, neither you nor anyone else possess any knowledge about them. Best to forget about your God you gave reality to in your head. It's not God.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No. This is crucial. If people would call me God, then somebody is very stupid. No offense. Gods don't suffer neither die.
God-kings like the pharaohs died. In nordic mythology most of the gods will die at Ragnarök. Heck, even in Christian mythology Jesus died on the cross (though he didn't stay dead, so that doesn't really count as dying, but don't tell the Christians). So, claiming immortality as an universal characteristic of gods will bring you in hot water with many believers.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Video blocked

God is a 6th century derivation of the proto germanic word godan which in turn came from the proto indo european word gutom

I read something similar

Sanskrit word GUdhaM = the deep mystery, unknown, secret, covered, hidden, a puzzle, GUdh. the aM sufffix can be for One or THAT Who/Which is 'gUDh'

That got modified into Gotham (Germanic)
That got distorted/derived into Gott and God

Many religions in their pure form, originally describe the same concept, mystery, the One, and capture experiences of the One , nature of the One, as experienced in different places (desh = nation), time/era (kaal) and society/audience (pAtra)

The Truth is One, the wise know/describe it in many ways - Rig Veda

Last edited:

questfortruth

God-kings like the pharaohs died. In nordic mythology most of the gods will die at Ragnarök. Heck, even in Christian mythology Jesus died on the cross (though he didn't stay dead, so that doesn't really count as dying, but don't tell the Christians). So, claiming immortality as an universal characteristic of gods will bring you in hot water with many believers.
Jesus Christ has two natures: God and human. The divine nature of Jesus has not suffered but human nature has suffered. That tells my Religion. My Religion is not wrong: science has not disproven any of the religions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Jesus Christ has two natures: God and human. The divine nature of Jesus has not suffered but human nature has suffered. That tells my Religion. My Religion is not wrong: science has not disproven any of the religions.
You still haven't addressed that other gods are said to be able to die. Your claim was that gods can't die. Run out of arguments?

Clara Tea

"God" is a title...."God" is what he is, but he has a name that he gave to Moses in Exodus 3:13-15.
His name tells us who he is.

From the Tanakh....
"And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:

14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'" ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:

15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation. טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:"

So you see "the Lord God's" name here is יְהֹוָ֞ה .....YHWH.....Yahweh...or Jehovah in English.

His name means "I Will Be What I Will Be".....or God will be whatever he needs to be in order to fulfill his purpose or to accomplish his will.

Thinking God made Popeye in his image. "I am what I am 'cause that's what I am." "I biffs 'em and bopps 'em and always outroughs 'em and none of 'em gets nowheres." "Nobody dasses to risk me fists or its biff and its wham, unnerstans?"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There's got to be a welcome sign in that town.

The only one i could fine and we missed it

Cattura-EBC-2018.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yeah but then the spirit isn't a person, it is just a part of God that interacts with the world. It is a tool. Like our hands.

That doesn't make sense, though. It's saying love gives love to others rather than love being worthy and the ability of it's own to Be the love in others. Not given but realized.

For example, a mother who gives love to her children doesn't give love as something seperate that interacts with children (like a force etc). She Is the love for her children. Given, here, is talking about she gives "herself" for the well-being of her children.

What's the difference between spirit (god) and spirit (say love)?

If god is love, why does he need to give something (say the gift of love) when he can "give" himself (as love)? (Assuming he doesn't need to be an incarnation to do so)

Last edited:

I'm not sure how this relates to the spirit being holy and how god's spirit can have a spirit.
In the case of God, He has a Spirit because He is the Spirit.. The Spirit is also how the Persons identified as God are the same God and yet three distinct Persons. So the One Spirit is also the Spirit of God, of the Son being now the Christ and the distinct Person of the Spirit it/Himself. Also how God is omnipresent and yet indwells individual Christians to know Him. Making each believer priest of God and making up a Body which is now the temple of God and the Body of Christ on earth, His church. There are Biblical references if you want them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In the case of God, He has a Spirit because He is the Spirit.. The Spirit is also how the Persons identified as God are the same God and yet three distinct Persons. So the One Spirit is also the Spirit of God, of the Son being now the Christ and the distinct Person of the Spirit it/Himself. Also how God is omnipresent and yet indwells individual Christians to know Him. Making each believer priest of God and making up a Body which is now the temple of God and the Body of Christ on earth, His church. There are Biblical references if you want them.

That's a tongue twister. Why can't god just be spirit and can do anything as spirit without needing to divide himself?

For example, if god is love and he is spirit, god is love. Why give (how can he give) love when he himself is love and needs not be divided into personalities to give himself to others?

I phrased it better in post 92

Among professing Christians there are a number of views of God. Unitarian, Arianism, Tritheism, Modalism (stypes, Sabellianism, Jesus only), Binitarian, Triniatianism (types, Catholic and Biblical).

For example, if god is love and he is spirit, god is love. Why give (how can he give) love when he himself is love and needs not be divided into personalities to give himself to others?
Personally, God being love and God being light, are metaphores for God.

So indiviual people showing and giving love, that may be from God, but is not God Himself, God being the metaphore for love. God being the true source for love and goodness.

Now God being light, is both a metaphore and referring to the glory of God, which is not seen. God being omnipresent and invisible to us. For us, God is indistinguishable from space-time, which of course God is not the space-time.

As for God being a metaphore for light, light is a metaphore for truth. God Himself being the omnipresent uncaused reality. Reality defines truth.

Again, my personal views on this.

Why can't god just be spirit and can do anything as spirit without needing to divide himself?
Reality and cause are two distinct things.

There has to be uncaused reality for there to be an uncaused Cause.

And for them to be the One uncaused is to be One uncaused Essence or Spirit. There can only be One Uncaused Reality.

Can you follow that thinking?

Uncaused reality sounds more like mystical jargon (saying politely).

You said, though, "our known universe has an apparent beginning." So, you believe there is a cause. (#59) Which do you believe, the universe is an uncaused reality or it is not?
I believe the univese being made up of causes is caused.
Whether do to an infinite series of causes with no first cause or caused ex nihilo by one unique Cause. Either case requires an uncaused Existence with an uncaused Cause.
. . . It's more of a Religious Forums rule-thing when it comes to proselytizing. Instead, you can put "I believe..." or "This is my opinion..." I know it's already meant to be your opinion but when it is more "you have to understand... if you believed in god, you would know..." it sends mix signals in a non-christian "environment."

I feel there is a difference between experiencing god and through that experience is what you know. Anyone can believe in anything and have faith that it is true. However, it would be stronger to say because of my experiences, I "know" this is true. The former lends some doubt and the latter is a strong conviction.
Good advise. What I posted was to be understood to be my personal understanding. I will be more careful.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Reality and cause are two distinct things.

There has to be uncaused reality for there to be an uncaused Cause.

And for them to be the One uncaused is to be One uncaused Essence or Spirit. There can only be One Uncaused Reality.

Can you follow that thinking?

No. You'd have to use synomns to causes and uncause. It's sounds more like sally sold sea shells at the sea shore.

I'd say there is no origin or something that puts everything in motion. Instead, reality (I guess) by definition is motion. A interweaven process of cause and effect. No cause. Pure momentum.

You and I and all are part of this momentum and a good way to experience this for many is through basic meditation, prayer, so have you.

Outside of that, I'm not sure of what you're saying.