1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Name of God is God

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by questfortruth, Jan 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,422
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing
    Thank you for not quoting.
    I'm not sure how this relates to the spirit being holy and how god's spirit can have a spirit. But nonetheless, I agree that what we know is based on our experiences though I don't believe "reality" had a cause. The formation of life (the universe) wasn't created from nothing but already existed just created into being and, like stars, it will go out of being-forming, and all of that.

Let me ask. If there was no caused reality (which I believe there was not), how would you feel about that?

How would you feel if there was no origin to life (for example, you came to existence without parents to help "form you" into being?

I was interested until this turned into proselytizing. I have a pet peeve over that.

For sake of conversation, though, since I follow something completely different I thought Jews refer to god as Hashem and do not define him nor call him by name that defines his nature. I know christians try to define god but not many god-religions do.

2. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +10,422
    Religion:
    Can I ask, are you one of them?

3. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +60,194
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No.
    No one.
    That I know of.

4. 37818

37818 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Religion:
    Christian (Baptist)
    We agree that there is uncaused "reality."
    It is not about a feeling. I identify God to be the uncaused reality. One translation of Hebrew God's Name, "Self Existent One." Only uncaused reality is self existent.
    Fair enough. Thank you for the red flag. It is a tenent of the Christian faith.
    Believing in a god and knowing God are two diffferent things.
    Devout Jews will not pronounce God's name will instend say "The Name," Hashem. Not wanting to break the third commandment. As I understand this.
    Yes.
    I attempted to explain how to know God too. It became a red flag.

5. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +10,422
    Religion:
    Uncaused reality sounds more like mystical jargon (saying politely).

You said, though, "our known universe has an apparent beginning." So, you believe there is a cause. (#59) Which do you believe, the universe is an uncaused reality or it is not?

Spoke to soon. How did you come to this conclusion?

Feeling isn't a bad word but it's aligned with what you mean when you said you have experiences. Without some sort of feeling involved, then your experiences would have no internal affect on you to thereby form a conclusion of what you mean by god.

You're welcome. It's more of a Religious Forums rule-thing when it comes to proselytizing. Instead, you can put "I believe..." or "This is my opinion..." I know it's already meant to be your opinion but when it is more "you have to understand... if you believed in god, you would know..." it sends mix signals in a non-christian "environment."

I feel there is a difference between experiencing god and through that experience is what you know. Anyone can believe in anything and have faith that it is true. However, it would be stronger to say because of my experiences, I "know" this is true. The former lends some doubt and the latter is a strong conviction.

I can see it both ways, yes. If you worship someone, of course you don't want to using one's own label to define it and let it be "I AM" to define itself. On the other end, I can see why christians would want a personal name to god in order to have a relationship with it. Either way, it sounds like the same intentions.

I usually get a bit suspicious of someone saying "I'm the only one..." but I know many believers and denominations do have that view of the only one that has the truth. It kind of makes it lonely, I would say.

6. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,790
    Religion:
    none
    My invisible sky fairy can totally beat your invisible sky fairy!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. firedragon

firedragon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,472
    There you go. Lol. Inevitable pleasure.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Israel Khan

Israel Khan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    That is the obvious choice, but it if it is a third persona in the Trinity then I would think that it would have a name. From a non trinitarian viewpoint it not having a name makes a lot of sense, since it isn't a person.

9. questfortruth

questfortruth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +337
    Religion:
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
    There are three persons in Trinity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    That isn't the point. You asked where you can get the title of God from. And can you give someone something so that they can call you God. And the answer is yes. Whether that person is an actual god or not is a different point.

11. questfortruth

Ratings:
    +337
    Religion:
    No. This is crucial. If people would call me God, then somebody is very stupid. No offense. Gods don't suffer neither die.

12. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    That makes sense about the naming of the God's Spirit in the Bible. I know about the second claim.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    Obviously

14. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    Start up your own church in a corner somewhere, claim that you are God and see what happens. You would be shocked to see how gullible people are.

OK. So you don't belief that God suffered and died for your salvation?

15. questfortruth

Ratings:
    +337
    Religion:
    In my Religion (Eastern Orthodox Christianity) the God has not suffered. The human nature of Jesus Christ has suffered, but not His divine nature.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    Ahh, OK, so then God didn't actually suffer and die for mankinds sins then? It was the man Jesus only?

I would say though that whether a god can suffer or die is wholly dependent on what your concept of a god is. For you God won't be able to suffer and die. To others, a god can suffer and die.

• Like Like x 1
  17. questfortruth

Ratings:
    +337
    Religion:
    Not a reliable god for my taste. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Religion:
    None
    True, very true.

19. questfortruth

Ratings:
    +337
    Religion:
    I have added two funny videos, please read the latter comment.

20. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +10,422
    Religion:
    I don't know. They say spirit comes from god. If god is spirit, does spirit come from spirit?

• Like Like x 1