• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name changing

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't nor do I plan to change my name. I don't think it's necessary either.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The closest I would come is changing my middle name. But since my middle initial is 'J' for Jason, I'm not sure how many Hindu names begin with J except for Jaya or Jai. Not that there is anything wrong with them; they're just so common. I think I'll look, just for kicks. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I did. Legally, on passport, the whole shebang. But its not necessary, as others have said. I'm just an all or nothing kind of person.

Wannabe Yogi

My son when he was initiated he was given a name. He uses that name at home and around devotees. At school he uses his given name.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Why would some see it as necessary?
Good question.

It depends on the individual's beliefs. Usually it is because they should be taking a name which is reflective of the qualities of the gods, or because you are given a name by your spiritual teacher, and others believe you should join the whole culture or so you don't 'stand out' as one who has joined Hinduism and turn on your life: change your name, diet (beyond the basics), what you wear, and so on and so forth.

I don't see any of that as necessary though. Even if I did get initiated, I would only really use my initiation-name amongst a certain circle, one of them being people wouldn't believe it was my name and would think I'm taking the ****. My son has my name as his middle name, so it would feel... odd.

There's probably other reasons, but these are a couple that come to my mind at the moment.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not necessary, but I can vouch for some benefits. (There is the requirement in some sampradayas, to be a 'member' , just as there are other requirements within many faiths.)
1) A constant reminder of who you are, as Hindus tend to take the name of God, and advaitic teaching is that our essence is God.
2) It's no secret you're a Hindu ... all you have to do is introduce yourself.
3) it shows a deep commitment to the faith. If you're willing to change your name for it, well ... that is quite the step.
4) The namakarana samskara (name-giving ritual) is one of many lifetime samskaras or sacraments ... in this case the equivalent of baptism, not just the name itself, but also a formal entrance ... mystically and otherwise
5) greater acceptance within the Indian or ethnic Hindu community, especially when you say, "I'm a Hindu."
6) Entrance into many Hindu temples that bar non-Hindus (at least the ones that take it for real, not as an excuse for racism) I've used my passport a couple of times to demonstrate it, and was welcomed after, as I aroused suspicion before.
7) I feel better about it ... a sense of identity, reflecting may actual beliefs.

For me personally, it was necessary, not as pressure from the outside or anything, but to prove to myself ... as the old saying goes .. "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Good question.

It depends on the individual's beliefs. Usually it is because they should be taking a name which is reflective of the qualities of the gods, or because you are given a name by your spiritual teacher, and others believe you should join the whole culture or so you don't 'stand out' as one who has joined Hinduism and turn on your life: change your name, diet (beyond the basics), what you wear, and so on and so forth.

I don't see any of that as necessary though. Even if I did get initiated, I would only really use my initiation-name amongst a certain circle, one of them being people wouldn't believe it was my name and would think I'm taking the ****. My son has my name as his middle name, so it would feel... odd.

There's probably other reasons, but these are a couple that come to my mind at the moment.

Is it a common view among Hindus that Indian names, clothing, etc. are favored by the gods?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is it a common view among Hindus that Indian names, clothing, etc. are favored by the gods?

Yes its common, but probably not the majority. In India and Sri Lanka, and Fiji etc., it is just part of the culture. I wear Hindu (culturally Hindu) clothing because I feel better in it, mostly because its just so darn comfortable, as clothing goes ... that is, once you get used to it.

Same with food ... once you get used to it, its tastier than western food.

Wannabe Yogi

I don't see the reason for the clothing as supernatural but practical. Take the following example.

Dhoti
4510175109_c876476db9.jpg

For sitting in one place ( for meditation) there is nothing better. It is super comfortable. It is made of one extremely long piece of cloth that is very thin, (it is doubled and rapped around the body to ware ) so it is easy to wash and dries in just a few moments in the sun.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Not that I know; I've never encountered anyone who's held this view myself, and only a few who think you should do it all as it's part of the culture, so I wouldn't say it's the majority. Hindus number around 900 million, so there may be quite a few, but I doubt they're the majority -- at least in the West.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes its common, but probably not the majority. In India and Sri Lanka, and Fiji etc., it is just part of the culture. I wear Hindu (culturally Hindu) clothing because I feel better in it, mostly because its just so darn comfortable, as clothing goes ... that is, once you get used to it.

Same with food ... once you get used to it, its tastier than western food.

Indian sweets are certainly FAR better than Western sweets. I can see why Lord Ganesha has such a sweet tooth. :yes:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't do sweets either way. Big Sugar is next on the 'we've been suckered' hit list, as was Big Tobacco before it. About time too. Basically, it's poison if taken anywhere beyond extreme moderation.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see the reason for the clothing as supernatural but practical. Take the following example.

Dhoti
4510175109_c876476db9.jpg

For sitting in one place ( for meditation) there is nothing better. It is super comfortable. It is made of one extremely long piece of cloth that is very thin, (it is doubled and rapped around the body to ware ) so it is easy to wash and dries in just a few moments in the sun.

I saw a number of men wearing dhotis today (or veshti if you prefer, because it's a south-style temple). I have every intention of getting one at some point in the near future. I may also get a traditional kurta to wear with it, though I know western style collared shirts are also worn. A white broadcloth or pinpoint oxford point collar might look nice. I would probably wear it only on weekends to temple. I'd get really odd looks and questions at work if I changed there to go to temple after work. I read somewhere that when you are doing your own puja, aarati or other sadhana at home, you do it shirtless when wearing a dhoti.